VDO gauge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

holty

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
2003 30' Pilot II 6LPA
My 2003 30' Pilot II with 315 Yanmar has a VDO combination Oil pressure, RPM, Temp and Volts in one gauge. The oil pressure reading is not working properly but I know I have the correct pressure. The model number on back of gauge reads N34 6.02. It is my understanding this gauge is no longer available. I am hoping another member may have run across this problem and found a suitable replacement. I also understand there is a company in Florida that can repair the gauge but I don't want to be without any gauges while waiting for repairs. Surprised I could not find a used one on Ebay or other sites. Could I have the model number wrong? Thanks for any help.

regards Holty

VDO Gauge repair

If you do end up going the repair route, I think the place in Florida you mention might be Lauderdale Speedometer in Ft. Lauderdale? If it is, I've used them 3 times to rebuild VDO gauges on my 2000 Grand Banks 42 Classic. They were prompt, helpful, reasonably priced and enabled me to keep my instrument panels filled with matching, original gauges. Very good resource!!

how did you test the pressure? how did you eliminate the pressure sensor as the problem?

Another option - if you have a nmea 2k network (simple add) on the boat, you can digitize that engine data and display it on your gps/map/chart/plotter. The real advantage, this will likely add a unique warning function for each variable, depending on which chart plotter you have. That will give you redundant displays - and a chance to have something repaired.

I set mine up to display not only engine data but temp and oil pressure from the generator. But I use my boat not only in the GOM but also on inland rivers. Weeds and trash in cooling water intakes and filters is a frequent issue.

Eliminated the pressure sensor as the problem by testing with a mechanical gauge threaded into the sensor manifold.

regards Holty

i think that you need to see if the guage is "always open" or "always closed" then test for continuity with engine running. if it passes this test then most likely it's the vdo.

The Yanmar has a separate low oil pressure sensor tied into the alarm buzzer wiring which is not triggering the alarm. The pressure gauge and it's sender are independent of the alarm.

regards Holty

Faria Multigauge

My 07 Pilot 34 with twins had the instruments shown in the attached pic. There was a 4 function, 2 tachs and a 3 function, all made by Faria. I have replaced these with digital instrumentation thru an NMEA 2k network interface. The original Faria instruments are available if they match what you have. I'd sell one, or all. PM me if interested.

Brett

Attachments

• 20190325_122558.jpg
    20190325_122558.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 30
Yes, Lauderdale Speedo is the place for you. Very knowledgeable and know boat related issues very well. Prices on equipment are fair too, considering the amount of expertise they bring to the relationship.

https://www.lspeedo.com/

My 07 Pilot 34 with twins had the instruments shown in the attached pic. There was a 4 function, 2 tachs and a 3 function, all made by Faria. I have replaced these with digital instrumentation thru an NMEA 2k network interface. The original Faria instruments are available if they match what you have. I'd sell one, or all. PM me if interested.

Brett

I am interested in the 4 function gauge. How much do you want to sell it for?

Back
Top Bottom