Old 07-29-2019, 10:19 PM   #41
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilly Dally View Post
Hello TF Gurus. We just purchased a 2005 Mainship 34 T last week.

I had a local expert over this morning to discuss replacing the Jabsco toilet with a VacuFlush. Has anyone with a similar vintage MS 34 replace their Jabsco with a VacuFlush? Hi Bacchus, Weíre you able to remove or replace the 1Ē exit hose from the tank to the holding tank?

Why are you interested in replacing your Jabsco?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:21 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
The Marine Elegance has way fewer things to go wrong with it compared to a Vacuflush. It does not have the vacuum generator and the other parts to take up room in the boat. Sorry, no one will ever convince me that they are no more maintenance than a ME head. I have a friend that religiously maintained his VF head and had issues with it no matter what. On the other hand the ME I have owned had zero issues. And if it ever were to have issues, they were simple to fix. How many threads have you seen here about VF vacuum leaks and how to trace them down? Many more threads than how to fix the ME heads. I donít recall one about ME repairs, maybe I missed them but I donít remember any.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:13 AM   #43
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Dilly Dally
I reread your post and my reply and not sure I answered all of what you asked...
I did not replace and hose from toilet to holding tank if that was part of your question. I did pull my toilet this spring to rebuild it and had to cut off a section of discharge hose when reinstalling. Hose clamps had damaged the end of the hose so I needed to get to a new section for a good seal. I was able to pull enough hose as there was some slack but I did not attempt to completely remove & replace.

The new vent to the bow was fairly easy to push forward from the hatch in the fwd cabin sole. Removing the headboard panel provided visibility and room enough to install an additional thru hull and clamp the new vent.
I did use a straight thru hull per Peggie's recommendation to avoid plugging and to aid back flush if necessary.
Have spent 60 straight days aboard cruising and no issues.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:59 AM   #44
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilly Dally View Post
Hello TF Gurus. We just purchased a 2005 Mainship 34 T last week.
I had a local expert over this morning to discuss replacing the Jabsco toilet with a VacuFlush. Has anyone with a similar vintage MS 34 replace their Jabsco with a VacuFlush?
We had a VacuFlush in our previous boat, a Jabsco electric in this one. The VacuFlush was OK, although it'd would wake the dead at 0300 or so... In any case, I prefer the electric.

Which Jabsco do you have? Quiet Flush, or not? Manual or electric? Fresh water or salt?

Why do you want to change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
Meanwhile Marine Elegance toilets are pretty much flush and forget and when, in say 10 years, something does go wrong a simple swap of the innards at the back of the bowl has you up and pooping in about in hour, good for another 10 years.
Our Jabsco QF has been pretty much the same...

-Chris
Old 07-30-2019, 07:16 AM   #45
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
The Marine Elegance has way fewer things to go wrong with it compared to a Vacuflush. It does not have the vacuum generator and the other parts to take up room in the boat. Sorry, no one will ever convince me that they are no more maintenance than a ME head. I have a friend that religiously maintained his VF head and had issues with it no matter what. On the other hand the ME I have owned had zero issues. And if it ever were to have issues, they were simple to fix. How many threads have you seen here about VF vacuum leaks and how to trace them down? Many more threads than how to fix the ME heads. I donít recall one about ME repairs, maybe I missed them but I donít remember any.
And that, my friend, is exactly the point. My sense is the folks extolling Vacuflush toilets are Vacuflush owners who are stuck with a cranky, high maintenance system. And what amazes me is the fact that a Marine Elegance head isn't all that expensive given the ease of installation and the years of maintenance-free use.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:54 PM   #46

City: Melbourne
Vessel Name: Ithaka
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
Has anyone dealt with toilet odour on a Mainship 400 2004, does anyone know of the location of breather filter.
The toilet is a Sealand vacuflush system.
BigKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:42 PM   #47
Guru

City: AR
I need a bit more information/details. Are you experiencing odor INSIDE the boat, or out the tank vent the toilet is flushed. If inside the boat, where is the odor concentrated--from the bowl? All the time or only when the toilet is flushed? Or is the odor where the vacuum generator, all the hoses and the holding tank are (the bilge?)?

If odor is out the vent (what you called the "breather"), the holding tank--which is not a part of the VacuFlush system--is the source, not the VacuFlush system. Any filter will be in the vent line...there may or may not be one.

Or are you experiencing odor in more than one location?

--Peggie
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:11 AM   #48

The smell is seems to originate from both inside the boat from the bilge continuously and the vent when flushed.
The PO hardly used the head, i have already had to cut an access hatch to reinstate the holding tank gauge sender, the sender unit was loose.

Kevin
Old 08-23-2019, 05:37 AM   #49
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
One possibility is that it's not really head-related odor. Clean the bilge down to within an inch of its life, see if the odor goes away. And if there's a shower sump in there, clean that. And clean the P-traps on your head and galley sinks.

Another possibility is that maybe your head-related hoses have become permeated. Wipe hard with a hot, wet rag... then sniff. If it knocks you over, you might need new hoses.

-Chris
Old 08-23-2019, 07:59 AM   #50
Guru

The two most common sources of odor inside a boat are wet dirty bilge and permeated sanitation hoses. A wet dirty bilge can make a whole boat smell like a swamp or even a sewer....the cure is a real cleaning instead of just dumping some "miracle" bilge cleaner into it and calling it done. If your bilge(s) are dry, we can rule that one out. Odor from a sour shower sump is usually confined to the head because the odor escapes through the shower drain.

New hoses are the only cure for permeated sanitation hoses (Even a little waste left to sit in hoses can permeate 'em, and toilets that are rarely used are never rinsed after flushing, so it's a good bet that your hoses are the source of your odor.) Wet some clean rags in HOT water--as hot as you can handle...wring each out and wrap it around a section of hose...use a clean rag for each section. When rags have cooled, remove each one and smell it...if you can't smell anything on the rag, that section of hose hasn't permeated...but if you can, even faintly, that section has.

When it comes to replacement, sanitation hoses are NOT the place to go with the least expensive 'cuz cheap sanitation hoses permeate in a heartbeat. Raritan SaniFlex hose Raritan Saniflex Sanitation Hose has proven to be 100% odor permeation resistant and has the added advantage of being so flexible it can be bent like a hairpin without kinking, which makes installing a lot easier than most other hoses.

As for your odor out the vent, remove any vent line filter if there is one and replace the "vent" thru-hull with an open bulkhead or "mushroom" thru-hull...thoroughly flush out your holding tank (NOT to be confused with the vacuum tank in the VacuFlush) and start using No-Flex Digestor Noflex Digestor according to directions.

--Peggie
Old 08-23-2019, 10:19 AM   #51
Guru

Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
If you can, replace the sanitation hose with white PVC ridgid plastic pipe. Buy the DWV type PVC which is made for sanitation. There are all kinds of long sweep 90, 45, 22.5 degree bends in addition to couplings. Hose cuffs are available for hose connections.

Any hose, will eventually permeate odor. Hoses permeate because of it's composition to make it flexible.

PVC DWV pipe will never permeate odor.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:20 PM   #52

will try these options, have already ordered noflex digestor
Old 08-23-2019, 05:00 PM   #53
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
PVC for sure but while at it, consider adding provisions for a cleanout especially if your using raw water flushing
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:37 PM   #54
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Bellmouth pipes flow better with less debris hang-up than regular PVC with connectors. I don't know if it can be had in thick-walled pipe tho. The fewer bends and connections the better to keep clogging possibilities to a minimum. Long sweeping bends keep things moving better than tight 90-degree street style elbows. Think more along the lines of PVC conduit elbows.

This type.

Not this type.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:56 PM   #55
Guru

Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
I was recommending these elbows.

DWV for sewage.
Attached Thumbnails
white-nibco-pvc-fittings-c4807lthd112-64_1000.jpg  
Attached Images

syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:24 PM   #56

City: Matagorda Bay
Vessel Name: Salty
Vessel Model: 2005 Defever 44
Also....an old electrician trick...you can bend PVC pipe into any shape needed, by heating with a propane torch or hot air gun. Then set it by cooling with a wet towel.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:32 PM   #57
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
I was recommending these elbows.

DWV for sewage.

Those would work great. They're hard to find in my area without going to a plumbing supply house or ordering them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greysailor View Post
Also....an old electrician trick...you can bend PVC pipe into any shape needed, by heating with a propane torch or hot air gun. Then set it by cooling with a wet towel.

I use a $9 Harbor Freight gun. Sweeping 90's are to do without a jig and filling the pipe with BBs or sand.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:12 AM   #58

City: FL
Vessel Model: Benneteau Swift 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post

When it comes to replacement, sanitation hoses are NOT the place to go with the least expensive 'cuz cheap sanitation hoses permeate in a heartbeat. Raritan SaniFlex hose Raritan Saniflex Sanitation Hose

Peggie, would you suggest the saniflex on the raw water intakes as well or will the Trident 148 suffice?
lipets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:55 PM   #59
oak
Veteran Member

City: Highland Beach, Florida
Vessel Name: Miri
Vessel Model: Mainship pilot 34
Try closing the raw water in take and flush with fresh water from a gallon jug or the shower head if it reaches. If that makes a difference plumb the head to fresh water with a back flow preventer or from a separate tank. Used the shower on my old trawler and solved issue. Simple solution
oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:34 PM   #60
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipets View Post
Peggie, would you suggest the saniflex on the raw water intakes as well or will the Trident 148 suffice?

Shields or Trident #148 will work just fine for vent line and toilet inlet line.

--Peggie