Tight Generator in Mainship 430

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
Just looked at a Mainship 430 for sale and was surprised that the generator was so tight. This is the aft cabin model.

Can any owner comment about how they service it? Is it possible to create a more open area?

Also, what kind/wattage generator do you have. Whats common?

Yes, it's tight. There is a small door for checking the coolant and oil level. The whole wall covering the side of the generator hole is removable. I installed threaded rods in the four corners (wood screw threads on one end and machine screw threads on the other) so I can remove the wall easily. I also made a 3/4 inch thick Starboard shelf over the port battery to lean on when servicing the generator. I have an oil change system for oil changes, so that makes it easier. Changing both the Kohler and Racor fuel filters is easy. Changing the coolant, impeller, anode, and belts aren't hard. The only problem I see is if something happens on the hidden side. I think I would cut a hole in the side of the storage area under the floor (ours is a galley down boat, don't know if the storage area is there on a galley up boat) and install a large hatch. That would give access to the exhaust side and starter motor. I hope I don't have to do that. I think the standard generator is an 8KW Kohler.

Yes, it's tight. There is a small door for checking the coolant and oil level. The whole wall covering the side of the generator hole is removable. I installed threaded rods in the four corners (wood screw threads on one end and machine screw threads on the other) so I can remove the wall easily. I also made a 3/4 inch thick Starboard shelf over the port battery to lean on when servicing the generator. I have an oil change system for oil changes, so that makes it easier. Changing both the Kohler and Racor fuel filters is easy. Changing the coolant, impeller, anode, and belts aren't hard. The only problem I see is if something happens on the hidden side. I think I would cut a hole in the side of the storage area under the floor (ours is a galley down boat, don't know if the storage area is there on a galley up boat) and install a large hatch. That would give access to the exhaust side and starter motor. I hope I don't have to do that. I think the standard generator is an 8KW Kohler.

Thx much,

When you say "cut a hole int h side of the storage area, not sure where you're talking about. Would that be in the galley?

8 kw seems a tad small for that sized boat, any issues?

A galley down 430 has a countertop between the sink area and the main cabin. Coming in the port door the counter is just to your left. In the floor in front of the counter is a hatch with several sliding tubs for storage. If you remove the tubs there is enough room for a person to lay down. On the other side of the aft wall of that area is the generator. It would be easy to cut a large hole in the wall and add a rectangular hatch. That would give access to the side of the generator with the starter and exhaust elbow. For what it's worth, I'm a retired mechanic so I'm always looking for an easier way to do maintenance.
8KW is plenty for our boat. It uses propane for cooking. All the lights are LED. It has 3 reverse cycle AC units that are 240 volt, but if you don't start them all at the same time then there is no problem. Since we're in the PNW we don't really use the AC that much. We have diesel hydronic heat that doesn't need the generator. We can be at anchor for a couple days without using the generator.

Porman,

Thx for the info. Over, I was more impressed with the 430 aft cabin than I thought I'd be. I don't like giving up the cockpit and very little shading on the back, sides and over the aft stateroom seem like that will be a concern in the summer.

But the salon, master, flybridge look great. And doors on both sides of the helm is great.

Just curious, where is the hydronic heat located? That would be a GREAT addition (I'm always freezing). Did you add it?

Thx

Seevee, We wouldn't have a boat without a cockpit, so the low aft cabin style, like the Grand Banks 42, works best for us. My wife usually steps off the swim platform right onto the dock to tie up. There hasn't been a problem in the aft cabin on hot days, although our hot days are only in the upper 80's. Higher temps and more humidity might make it worse. Our flybridge is fully enclosed so all the driving is done from there. Forward visibility is poor from the lower helm. Five sections of the enclosure flip up (they are polycarbonate, not flexible) and you're left with mostly just a bimini.
I did install the hydronic heat. It's a Webasto 2010S and I put it in the right side of the lazerette. I used PEX piping and put a combination heater/defroster in the flybridge, so it stays nice and warm in the winter. Send me a PM if you have any more questions and we can talk.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom