Is there a difference between the Mainship 40 and the Mainship 400?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmckinnon

I’m doing some research and love the Mainship I’m trying to understand the differences if any between the Mainship 40’ and the Mainship 400, thanks

Last edited:
Maybe. In the early 80's or so, Silverton's Mainship model line included a 40. Might have been two kinds, on e sedan (or convertible or whatever) and one maybe an aft-cabin. This woud have been contemporary with their 34, which was single diesel and a semi-displacement hull with a full keel. Not sure what the 40s hulls were like, but I think they were all twin engines of some sort, often (maybe almost always?) gas.

Then Mainship turned into its own company (still under the Luhrs umbrella) and moved toward another market, planing boats, but also introducing a usefull access to the bow using steps down from the middle of the flybridge. (Silverton put those same kind of steps on the sides, or on one side.) Don't know much about that era.

Then in the early 2000's (or so) they introduced the more of a trawler-like 400, after the 350/390 and the 430.

Much of this is from memory, and mine's usually faulty... but it might pay to check years of production when you're comparing.

-Chris

Pretty sure the Nantucket was available in a 36 and 40. They were aft cabin boats made in the late 80's early 90's. i think they were all gas. the 400 was a successor to the 390. first model year was 2003. No aft cabin in the 400. all diesels. most were singles with a bow thruster.
John
2003 MS390

Ms 400

It was just a Model Name Change to comply with European boat model schemes. The 400 is Nominally 40 ft the 390 39ft etc.

I have a Mainship 40 Double Cabin, 1985, twin turbocharged Perkins. I've seen some of the same model but with gas engines, guess that's ok for some, but I really prefer the reliability of diesel. I've often wondered about the "400" if it was basically the same, now I know..Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom