Old 04-27-2018, 07:20 AM   #41
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgutten View Post
Sevee,

The holding tank vent on the Mainship 400 comes out of the front of the tank (bow end). It's accessible from the small floor hatch in the V berth. It goes forward on a 90 degree fitting, then goes to starboard, then turns toward the stern under the floor of the bathroom, then goes behind the air conditioner, turns to starboard again, goes up the gunwale to the vent. Makes sense, huh?

I've never seen a more ineffective and poorly designed system.

Remove it all and run a vent forward, straight, no major bends, slightly uphill, 1" line, next to the anchor locker drain.

Here's a picture of what my 90 degree fitting looked like. PLUGGED! The picture doesn't show that it's totally plugged at the bottom. Really really smelled foul!

Jeffrey Guttenberger
R Time
2005 Mainship 400
Attachment 75597
Jeffrey,

Ahhh, great and thanks. Good solution. Now how did you run a line forward? Did you run a snake backward or what do you have to removed to get access?

Mine looked pretty clean, will take it apart and blow thru it to see if it'a open. Where is the filter located? Might just remove that for now, as it would seem simple unless it's buried.

Thanks again, great info!
Old 04-27-2018, 08:28 AM   #42
Guru

City: AR
The holding tank vent on the Mainship 400 comes out of the front of the tank (bow end). It's accessible from the small floor hatch in the V berth. It goes forward on a 90 degree fitting, then goes to starboard, then turns toward the stern under the floor of the bathroom, then goes behind the air conditioner, turns to starboard again, goes up the gunwale to the vent. Makes sense, huh? I've never seen a more ineffective and poorly designed system.

I have, including one vent line with a 360 degree loop in it. Boat builders have always been, and continue to be, the WORST sanitation plumbers on the planet! The only thing they did right in this one was put the vent fitting on the bow end of the tank.

Remove it all and run a vent forward, straight, no major bends, slightly uphill, 1" line, next to the anchor locker drain.

Yes! And use an open bulkhead thru-hull.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:28 AM   #43
Guru

Mine looked pretty clean, will take it apart and blow thru it to see if it'a open. Where is the filter located? Might just remove that for now, as it would seem simple unless it's buried.

Nooooo..it's always cheaper and easier to do anything right the first time than it is to do it over--which you'll have to do if you keep the existing vent. So do it right: Replace the vent line and run a new one that takes the shortest, straightest route possible to what I'm 90% certain will have to be a new thru-hull and get rid of any filter. Running it forward would be best (get some help to do it if you have to), but even out the side would be better than what you have now.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:27 AM   #44
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
I did say "rarely, if ever"...it can happen. And not only if a tank is overfilled. Waste in a half-full tank on a sailboat can spill into the vent line--and into the toilet discharge line--when the boat heels if the vent and inlet fittings on the tank aren't in the right locations to prevent it, which they rarely are. But waste in vent lines only hardens if it's allowed to remain there while the boat sits.
Yup, my boat was like that when I bought it, everything worked until the tank filled about 1/2 way. Fortunately the vent line was easy to access, ,and once I poked out the "paper mache" from the fitting the system has worked well ever since.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:58 AM   #45
Veteran Member

City: Bonita Springs
Sevee,

I've included pictures of the vent system that we installed on the Mainship 400.

Here's the new 1" vent line coming out of the front of the tank going forward.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180427_102306.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	75615

Here's a picture of the new vent line going forward next to the forward air conditioning unit. We routed it on the starboard side of the AC unit.

Name:	IMG_20180427_102209.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	75616

Lastly, here's the new through hull vent in the bow. We can take a hose and flush it when needed.

Name:	IMG_20180427_104629.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	75617

You might want to hire someone to do this. It's a small space and you need t drill a hole through your hull in the bow.

Jeffrey F. Guttenberger
R Time
2005 Mainship 400
Jgutten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:24 PM   #46
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post

Nooooo..it's always cheaper and easier to do anything right the first time than it is to do it over--which you'll have to do if you keep the existing vent. So do it right: Replace the vent line and run a new one that takes the shortest, straightest route possible to what I'm 90% certain will have to be a new thru-hull and get rid of any filter. Running it forward would be best (get some help to do it if you have to), but even out the side would be better than what you have now.
Peggy,

You're absolutely right, and will do. However, I'm using this daily right now (on the loop) and getting the supplies etc to add the forward vent will take time and looks like it could be a bit of a task, so now, I'll do the simple stuff that can be done easily.

I've got the tools, but need the parts.. hose, fitting, etc.

And I need to figure out how do get that line run.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:28 PM   #47
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgutten View Post
Sevee,

I've included pictures of the vent system that we installed on the Mainship 400.

Here's the new 1" vent line coming out of the front of the tank going forward.
Attachment 75615

Here's a picture of the new vent line going forward next to the forward air conditioning unit. We routed it on the starboard side of the AC unit.

Attachment 75616

Lastly, here's the new through hull vent in the bow. We can take a hose and flush it when needed.

Attachment 75617

You might want to hire someone to do this. It's a small space and you need t drill a hole through your hull in the bow.

Jeffrey F. Guttenberger
R Time
2005 Mainship 400
Jeffery,

Great into. getting it thru to past the AC a bit looks easy... need to figure out how to get it the rest of the way. How to you get to where the thru hull fitting will be attached? Where is the access to that small space?
Old 04-27-2018, 07:38 PM   #48
Guru

City: Sydney
Why have a air stink vent in the bow where you drive into the stink ??
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:36 PM   #49
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Why have a air stink vent in the bow where you drive into the stink ??
With adequate ventilation and proper maintenance, there is no stink.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:44 PM   #50
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
With adequate ventilation and proper maintenance, there is no stink.
And and open vent thru-hull in the bow allows even a light breeze to force plenty of air into it any time the boat is underway or on an anchor or mooring...and also in the slip when the breeze is from the right direction.

If you'd read the chapter in my book (also available from Boatbooks Australia, btw) "Holding Tank Odor--Odor Out the Vent" you'd know why plenty of fresh air prevents holding tank odor.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
Old 04-27-2018, 09:26 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
To determine where to drill a hole through the boat I tape a rare earth magnet on the inside where I think would be a good location. Then take another rare earth magnet outside and see where it sticks. If that location looks good, then I remove the magnets and drill the hole.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:49 PM   #52
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Got one, thanks

My comment to Peggy was a poke in the ribs “tit for tat” since she dropped into a thread of mine last year about desiccating heads with some negative comments.
Ah, well, Murray. You will cop a bit of flak re your composter - I'll cop flak for my decision to replace a "proper boat toilet" with a simple camping type, but we have none of the issues covered in this thread.

So let them have at us. We both can easily convert back if a buyer so wished, but once you've enjoyed the sheer simplicity of either of our systems, why would anyone want to..?

Ok, if a newer boat, well designed from the outset to have plumbed toilets, holding tanks, pump-out and vent lines - and even level indicators - well fine..! I'd use then too. But about 10 years down the track...all sorts of stuff has built up, and s**t starts to happen even to those lovely installations. Peggie has made a living out of helping solve exactly that stuff, after all. Our case rests..?
Old 04-27-2018, 11:54 PM   #53
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Ah, well, Murray. You will cop a bit of flak re your composter - I'll cop flak for my decision to replace a "proper boat toilet" with a simple camping type, but we have none of the issues covered in this thread.

So let them have at us. We both can easily convert back if a buyer so wished, but once you've enjoyed the sheer simplicity of either of our systems, why would anyone want to..?

Ok, if a newer boat, well designed from the outset to have plumbed toilets, holding tanks, pump-out and vent lines - and even level indicators - well fine..! I'd use then too. But about 10 years down the track...all sorts of stuff has built up, and s**t starts to happen even to those lovely installations. Peggie has made a living out of helping solve exactly that stuff, after all. Our case rests..?

Was thinking about your dunny Peter I sopose its quite easy to empty it over the side at midnight
Old 04-28-2018, 12:01 AM   #54
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Was thinking about your dunny Peter I sopose its quite easy to empty it over the side at midnight
Yup. Not even midnight. It's ok to dump it in our waters well clear of shore, marinas, commercial fishing beds, etc. Or in domestic sewage systems. It is chemically treated. Probably not in US waters, as they are more 'anal' over there - or is it because they just have more an....are better not...
Old 04-28-2018, 06:52 AM   #55
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
If you have a blocked vent path and then do a pump-out you can crush your holding tank like stomping on a beer can. It would be rare to have a tank built to withstand even a modest vacuum. The only savior is if the tank is almost full of liquid.
Maybe a dumb question but won't the tank / pump out vent / pull air in through the head bowl to prevent a collapse?
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:40 PM   #56
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Maybe a dumb question but won't the tank / pump out vent / pull air in through the head bowl to prevent a collapse?

yes!
Old 04-28-2018, 07:28 PM   #57
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
One of the first clues that the vent is blocked is a hissing in the toilet during pumpout. It may or may not allow enough air into the tank to prevent the pumpout from imploding the tank...that depends on how strong the pumpout is. Rely on that as a substitute for preventive maintenance at your own risk.

I honestly believe that if most boat owners paid as little attention to their engine maintenance as you do to every other system, every TowBoat franchisee would be be a millionaire

Peggie
Prevention is always cheaper and easier than cure.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:30 AM   #58
Guru

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
are there any fittings that can be installed into an existing fiberglass tank easily ? mine has a little chrome 90 that looks like it's 1/2" or so . I also saw that even though there suppose to have all fittings in the top I have none in the top.
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:44 AM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by timb View Post
are there any fittings that can be installed into an existing fiberglass tank easily ? mine has a little chrome 90 that looks like it's 1/2" or so . I also saw that even though there suppose to have all fittings in the top I have none in the top.
Peggie knows about one. She turned me onto one several years ago. I don’t remember the name of the company anymore.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:58 AM   #60
Veteran Member

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: C’YA
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43 Pilot House 09
The sending unit for the tank level indicator can be ordered with or without vent in it I would get one with vent and clamp the vent hose on it
woodlord is offline   Reply With Quote