Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Exactly. Are you going to try one ?
Got one, thanks

My comment to Peggy was a poke in the ribs ďtit for tatĒ since she dropped into a thread of mine last year about desiccating heads with some negative comments.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:46 PM   #22
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Strange thing with waste system

Oh! I didnít realize you had one. Like it?

Itís amazing how defensive folks get when you bring up these composting heads. But I guess thatís typicaló if itís something different/not well understood itís human nature to attack it.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:47 PM   #23

City: Albany, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Tranquility
Vessel Model: Trojan F32
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
Why don't they offer a urinal for guys on boats? It would save a lot of water and plumbing aboard. There are even waterless ones, although I think you have to replace other stuff regularly to keep it from stinking...
I use one of those small plastic ones like they have in hospitals. Put a little Noflex Digestor in it and there is no stink. When it gets full I dump it into the toilet and flush once. You can get one at any drug store for a couple of dollars.
kenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:52 PM   #24
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
An overboard urinal is an interesting idea.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:53 PM   #25
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenk View Post
I use one of those small plastic ones like they have in hospitals. Put a little Noflex Digestor in it and there is no stink. When it gets full I dump it into the toilet and flush once. You can get one at any drug store for a couple of dollars.

They dont make them big enough and deep enough for us Ozzies
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:54 PM   #26
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Oh! I didn’t realize you had one. Like it?

It’s amazing how defensive folks get when you bring up these composting heads. But I guess that typical. If it’s something different/not well understood it’s human nature to attack it.
So far, so good

I didn't want to hijack this thread...just meant to tease Peggy a bit.

Here's the most recent thread about 'composting' heads if someone wants to talk further about them;

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...nfo-38059.html
Old 04-23-2018, 09:49 PM   #27

City: PARRISH
Vessel Name: Calypso
Vessel Model: Nimble Nomad
Makes me appreciate our composting head on board. Weeks and weeks between emptying with my wife and I on board, no holding tank and hose issues, no plumbing, no thru hulls, no odor, no chemicals, and the little 12V computer muffin fan runs on less than 2 amps per 24 hours.

Don
CaptDon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:15 PM   #28
Guru

City: AR
I want to be sure I understand Peggie. Are you saying that normal backflushing of the vent line can cause a blockage.......or that trying to backflush an existing blockage that is at the thru-hull?

I just re-read my post and I see what I said that confused you..I worded it badly.

It's any FILTER in the vent line that can create a blockage if it ever gets wet, either from a tank overflow or back flushing the vent line. So a filter in the vent line makes back flushing it impossible.

You don't backflush the vent line to clear a blockage because the LINE is rarely if ever blocked...you backflush every time you wash the boat to PREVENT vent blockages However that requires a vent thru-hull that's open--"vent" thru-hulls are not...they're actually designed for use on fuel tank vents and also suitable for water tank vents because they're also designed to keep water out of the fresh water and fuel. So it's almost impossible to get enough water through one to do any good. But it doesn't matter whether a little sea water gets into a waste tank...what does matter is whether the vent is open enough to allow an exchange of air with the gasses that waste generate. "Bulkhead" or "mushroom" thru-hulls--the kind your bilge pump drains out of, that you can stick your finger into--do that. And they also allow you to stick a hose nozzle up against 'em and back flush the vent line all the way into the tank...preventing any blockage at either end. Any spiders or other insects that have tried to set up housekeeping in the vent line just get a water slide trip into the tank.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
HeadMistress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:20 PM   #29
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Thanks Peggie, I just wanted to be sure I wasnít completely off base.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:39 AM   #30
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Just to add to the confusion, I HAVE seen plugged vent lines (as opposed to the vent itself.) I suspect the PO over-filled the tank and forced waste into the vent line with every flush, after which it hardened in place. (Sorry for the graphic visual there!)
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:45 AM   #31
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
If you have a blocked vent path and then do a pump-out you can crush your holding tank like stomping on a beer can. It would be rare to have a tank built to withstand even a modest vacuum. The only savior is if the tank is almost full of liquid.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:40 AM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Bonita Springs
You cannot remove the vent from the outside. The only removal is from the inside. Mainship used a fuel vent for the head and it contains a charcoal filter. The first thing to do is to remove the filter. It causes more problems than it solves. Secondly, the vent line has too many twists and turns. Your vent line is plugged somewhere. It could be plugged at the tank from overfilling the tank. If you have the time, remove the vent line that was installed by Maniship and install a new 1" line. The vent enters the tank from the front side. I installed a new vent from the front towards the berth air conditioner, and installed a through hull next to the anchor drain through hole. Don't put a charcoal filter in. When installed, you can flush the vent line with a hose a few times per year. All this is laid out in Peggy Halls book, Getting Rid of Boat Odors. Works great.

Jeffrey F. Guttenberger
R Time
2005 Mainship 400
Jgutten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:48 AM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Just to add to the confusion, I HAVE seen plugged vent lines (as opposed to the vent itself.) I suspect the PO over-filled the tank and forced waste into the vent line with every flush, after which it hardened in place. (Sorry for the graphic visual there!)
I did say "rarely, if ever"...it can happen. And not only if a tank is overfilled. Waste in a half-full tank on a sailboat can spill into the vent line--and into the toilet discharge line--when the boat heels if the vent and inlet fittings on the tank aren't in the right locations to prevent it, which they rarely are. But waste in vent lines only hardens if it's allowed to remain there while the boat sits. Back flushing the vent line every time the boat is washed and/or after every pumpout will prevent it.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
Old 04-24-2018, 10:24 AM   #34
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Just my .02. I've only had to deal with a handful of clogged vents over the years. In all my cases, it was either a corroded through-hull vent, or a corroded screen in the through-hull vent. Everything from slow filling fuel tanks that backflow fuel to slow filling water tanks, and hard to flush hand-pump heads.

I'll admit I have not seen the number of instances as Peggy or any other professional have seen, so my sample if very limited.
Shrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:02 AM   #35

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: C’YA
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43 Pilot House 09
I have a brass 90 degree fitting where the vent line attaches to waste tank It would plug there so I drilled and tap the top of the brass 90 and use a coat hanger to unclog then put threaded plug in where it was tapped
To help prevent it from getting plugged donít Let tank fill up pump out
Just make sure you have released the pressure in tank before removing the plug
Hope it was useful
woodlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:16 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Just my .02. I've only had to deal with a handful of clogged vents over the years. In all my cases, it was either a corroded through-hull vent, or a corroded screen in the through-hull vent. Everything from slow filling fuel tanks that backflow fuel to slow filling water tanks, and hard to flush hand-pump heads. I'll admit I have not seen the number of instances as Peggy or any other professional have seen, so my sample if very limited.
At least 95% of problems with any system on a boat--including the sanitation system--are preventable...due entirely to neglected preventive maintenance. The other 5% are caused by bad design, installation or both...or guests.

Woodlord said: I have a brass 90 degree fitting where the vent line attaches to waste tank

Brass has no place on a boat with the possible exception of a bell because it's highly susceptible to corroding (which is what prob'ly caused your vent fitting to clog). Metal fittings don't belong in a waste tank because metal and plastic or FB have different thermal co-efficients--meaning they expand and contract at different rates and in differing amounts which can cause 'em to leak or even result in a cracked female tank fitting in climates with temperature extremes. I'd replace the brass fitting with PVC or marelon...unless your tank is metal, in which case you'll be replacing it in a few years if not sooner. If it is, switch to a bronze or steel fitting.

Peggie
Old 04-26-2018, 08:41 PM   #37
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
I've tried and tried to locate that vent line, unsuccessfully.... but will keep trying. I see where it comes into the boat, but it just ain't there on there other side. Any Mainships folk know? Thx.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:06 PM   #38
Guru

Iow, you've found the vent thru-hull on the outside of the boat, but there's no hose connected to it on the inside of it??? If so, you prob'ly haven't found the right thru-hull.

Try starting from vent fitting on the tank.

Peggie
Old 04-27-2018, 07:08 AM   #39
Veteran Member

City: Bonita Springs
Sevee,

The holding tank vent on the Mainship 400 comes out of the front of the tank (bow end). It's accessible from the small floor hatch in the V berth. It goes forward on a 90 degree fitting, then goes to starboard, then turns toward the stern under the floor of the bathroom, then goes behind the air conditioner, turns to starboard again, goes up the gunwale to the vent. Makes sense, huh?

I've never seen a more ineffective and poorly designed system.

Remove it all and run a vent forward, straight, no major bends, slightly uphill, 1" line, next to the anchor locker drain.

Here's a picture of what my 90 degree fitting looked like. PLUGGED! The picture doesn't show that it's totally plugged at the bottom. Really really smelled foul!

Jeffrey Guttenberger
R Time
2005 Mainship 400
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171126_161933.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	75597
Jgutten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:11 AM   #40
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
After digging and looking, I can't see where the vent line comes into the boat. I can see where it should, but can't find it nor the inline filter. Any Mainship experts know how it's plumbed? The Mainship owners manual doesn't even show the vent.

However, it's been working fine the past few days.