state room lights Mainship 34

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keith c

Vessel Name
Princess M
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 34
Has anyone been able to remove the 4 overhead lights in the stateroom? I would like to put in LED bulbs . I have tried several things including using a thin wire sliding under the metal ring with no success.

Has anyone been able to remove the 4 overhead lights in the stateroom? I would like to put in LED bulbs . I have tried several things including using a thin wire sliding under the metal ring with no success.
I have tried but didn't want to pry too much.
I decided they are normally on very little, especially at anchor. I have swapped out all others to LED so have 99% of the benefit. The reading light are already LED. Engine rm lights were the biggest amo draw and gain switching to LED.
If you are determined to conquer them id look through the MS part photos (links in the MS parts sticky in this section) to find your fixture. Knowing the mfg & model I would think you can find enough info re how they mount.

It takes a lot of force to remove the lights. This was the first one I tried, leaving the surrounding headliner a bit rough. Used plastic putty knifes (one on either side) to pry out. I like the LEDs, but they are a bit bright. Now I need a dimmer:banghead:

Good Luck,

Todd

2F5F373B-D123-4BC8-B955-E1431A04916F.jpg

I used the wire around and under the rim approach and got three out but broke the fourth rim. Soldered it back together and reinstalled it but I hope I don't have to remove it again.

I agree with a previous post of installing LEDs in the engine room, those halogens used a lot of juice and were always afraid of leaving them on while on the hook

It takes a lot of force to remove the lights. This was the first one I tried, leaving the surrounding headliner a bit rough. Used plastic putty knifes (one on either side) to pry out. I like the LEDs, but they are a bit bright. Now I need a dimmer:banghead:

Good Luck,

Todd

View attachment 114484
Do these have the usual spring clips holding them in?
Any additional pics of the unit once removed!
Thanks for posting.

Here is a photo of one of the overhead lights. Yes they are spring loaded. Very strong springs. Even with the right tools, the headliner material has a thin layer that wants to stick to the light canister as seen in photos. Good Luck.
Todd

46D27F9A-7648-4383-914B-1AC969F1EA20.jpg

I changed mine out to LED a few years back. Really tricky to get out. I used a large knife and a screwdriver. The knife to provide a firm base for the screwdriver and to protect the headliner. It worked (more by luck than skill)!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom