SS brackets breaking on Yanmar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jann

The so called Stainless bracket broke on one of the water lines and flooded the bilge on my 34 mainship trawler. I replace the bracket with a new one and replaced the other three in the same circuits on both yanmars.

My friend also had his bracket broke on the main exhaust causing a flood and mess.

Is there any way to protect these brackets. CRC and WD-40 dissipates to easily, I was thinking of lithium grease spray.

Any suggestion would be appreciated

Regards

Greetings,
Mr. j. What SS brackets are you speaking of? Are you meaning hose clamps similar to this? IF you are referring to the below pictured, they are a maintenance item and must be inspected on a regular basis and changed as necessary. All below waterline clamps should be doubled as well.
img_364869_0_5e81789311fa86d65e0380035deba186.jpg

Which engine is it and which bracket?

Photos would help.

I too can't guess which bracket the OP is speaking of. He probably means a hose clamp if he replaced three on each engine which I suspect are Yanmar 4LHs.

And please note that the picture of the hose clamp above is not the best type. An AWAB non perforated hose clamp is much better.

And further you should use a T bolt clamp on exhaust hose and not a screw band type.

David

Greetings,
Mr. dj. I agree that isn't the best type of clamp to use but it is the handiest picture I could find. I concur with your recommendations.

yes
the bracket shown in the picture is what I'm taking about.

Can I protect them further with heavy oil coating or lithium

As other guys have said, replace them with the best ones, AWAB, and if on an exhaust circuit don't, use the T Type instead. Spray them with Corrosion X if they are rusting, but the good clamps don't really need it. If they are not rusting or corroding, and perhaps even if they are, you may be over tightening them.

Good idea to go around the whole engine periodically and snug up the clamps. Over time the rubber extrudes under the clamp and it loosens. Any that are rusted, replace. Any that don't tighten properly, replace.

Cummins uses constant tension types, which use Belleville washers so once tightened, the washers compensate for SOME extrusion. But still need to snug and inspect.

I replaced all the hoses on my 15yr old engine, and most clamps were still in good shape. A month after replacing the hoses, I went around and snugged the clamps, and they all took a good bit of turning to get back tight.

Some sort of corrosion block would be a good idea, but just need to make sure it does not degrade the rubber. Not all hoses like petroleum products, and I don't have an answer to that.

Thanks guys

I'm going to also replace the exhaust hose clamps as my friend had one go which filled the bilge with smoke and water a real mess that cost ~$800 to clean up

Also I purchased a bottle of Corrosive X from amazon and will spray my clamps as an extra measure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom