Some clarification, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatheK

I’m new to this forum and have only recently started looking at boats for sale. I really like the styling of the 390. I’m confused by the Mainship model numbers. I believe I understand that what was once the 350 is now the 390 and they are 40’ ish long. I’m trying to figure out whether there is a 34-36’ Mainship that is not the Pilot model. I really like the 390 and was wondering if there’s a shorter version of that style with the forward cabin, single head, flybridge, single Diesel engine. I’m interested in boats built 2000 and newer.

If there is, what is the model name and when were they made? TYIA

Last edited:
Welcome, Mainship came out with a 34T (fly bridge
Sedan) and 34HT (Hard top) in 2004. It is a single stateroom boat similar in size to the 350 & 390 but without the integrated swim platform. 38' 10" length overall so it is really just as big as the 390.

The 400 was an evolution of the 390, they stretched the hull but eliminated the integrated swim platform in favor of a traditionally mounted bolt on like the 34T received. The house or deck height was raised, larger fly bridge, two staterooms. Fixed a lot of quirks of the 350 /390 design. It's length overall is 41' 4" so really not the size difference that the new would imply compared to the 34T.

The 34T was a fresh design and had the goal of not trying to squeeze too much into this size of boat. The configuration is very similar to the original 34 mainships with a galley down, single stateroom but bigger in every way, benefitting from the width of the modern design.

They also came out with a 395 which was a two staterooms based off the 34T but few were made. All were made in both single and twin engine configurations.

Welcome aboard TF. Lots of current / past MS owners here so you can usually get your questions answered. Agree with Gdavid above.
Here is the 34T/HT layout and the link should get you to some other pics and model layouts for comparison. My Bacchus website has more pics of our 34HT. They are a bit of an odd bird w/o the bridge and MS didn't make a lot so not very common. It suits us perfectly and I know several others t hat have searched specifically for the 34HT. The layout is very comfortable and functional for a couple. We spent 2-1/2 mos aboard in 2019 cruising and the layout worked well for us.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mai...d=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=ygeHTzOXM1ZMiM 119483_0_070320092001_5.jpg

Last edited:
I believe there is a "Mainship" area of this forum and probably a Mainship owners group or club.

Welcome Aboard

pete

I think I’m now headed in the right direction. I found the Mainship section of this forum and have a more clear understanding of the length questions. Thanks everyone.

As a former owner of a MS 34T let me comment further. It has maybe a foot wider beam than the 350/390s and the flybridge extends to the full beam width, so it is much roomier than the 350/390 I think.

It came with a single Yanmar 370 hp engine or twin Yanmar 240s. It is one of the few 34-35' boats that I would consider owning with the twins. The extra beam makes the engine room large enough to get around to service them.

The single cruises at 12-13 kts at 2,800-2,900 rpms burning 11-12 gph, and the twin cruises a few knots faster.

I think it is one of the best value boats for a couple. The main salon is huge for that size boat, maybe as big as the 400.

David

The main reasons for my preference for the 390 over the 34T is the up galley and the large refrigerator. I recently saw advertised a 34T without an apparent down helm. I thought that was interesting. I also prefer a single engine because of the reduced fuel consumption at 8kts or so and room in the engine compartment. Either a Cummins or Yanmar will do.

I’m very new at this search and have hit upon the Mainship because it meets my budget constraints and I really don’t want to climb a ladder up to the flybridge where I figure we will do most of our piloting. The salon is very configurable and we do want a couple of comfy recliners in it rather than a straightbacked bench seat.

I understand that the 390s had a problematic, integrated swim platform that was resolved in the 34T but most of them have likely already been fixed.

We are thinking to start looking seriously at boats and engaging the services of a buyer’s broker in late spring 2023 with an eye to a fall start on the Great Loop somewhere up the Mississippi or TenTom.

Welcome aboard. If you are going to buy in late spring of next year you should start looking now. It may take a while to find exactly what you are looking for and in the condition you want. And if you find “the one” then jump on it. The market may be slowing but if you find one that you like, buy it. A little early is better than late. Good luck!

I font know if it makes a difference but the "down" galley on the 34T / HT is still open to the saloon / salon area for visitor conversation and visibility and an easy reach to the upper counter. The benefit is any galley mess is out of sight. Galley is down 2 steps and the head & fwd cabin are another step down.

Ok. So more searching until I’m bleary eyed….we are now also considering a 400 as they are not much bigger that a 390 and are newer with hopefully some of the issues resolved. The main negative comment I see about the 400s is the difficult access to the generator for maintenance. Anyone care to comment about the advantages/disadvantages of the 400 over the 390?

Our current plan is to rent out our house for a year while we do the Loop. We live in Montana and foresee that we will have to get the house organized for renting, then move to the east somewhere once we find a boat so we get can get our hands on her to get it and us ready to do this. The organization and planning seem to be a bit in the hands of the boat buying gods.

During our trawler search, our requirements were nearly identical to yours. And we were looking in particular for a single-engine MS 34 or 390. I'm impressed with the relative value and layout of the Mainship models.

Started looking just over a year ago. Never found anything we liked, so put the active search on pause in early summer. But then just recently we stumbled across a 390 that fit the requirements - and should close on it in a couple of weeks. Good luck with your search.

Ok. So more searching until I’m bleary eyed….we are now also considering a 400 as they are not much bigger that a 390 and are newer with hopefully some of the issues resolved. The main negative comment I see about the 400s is the difficult access to the generator for maintenance. Anyone care to comment about the advantages/disadvantages of the 400 over the 390?

Our current plan is to rent out our house for a year while we do the Loop. We live in Montana and foresee that we will have to get the house organized for renting, then move to the east somewhere once we find a boat so we get can get our hands on her to get it and us ready to do this. The organization and planning seem to be a bit in the hands of the boat buying gods.

I have a 400 and like it very much. I uploaded to the Library a 350/390 to 400 comparison table. Look in the library under Misc.

Great info

I checked out the library and found fabulous info! The seamanship book will provide great info to get us started toward the Loop.

As a former owner of a MS 34T let me comment further. It has maybe a foot wider beam than the 350/390s and the flybridge extends to the full beam width, so it is much roomier than the 350/390 I think.

Same beam

350/390

LOA: 39' 9"
Beam: 14' 4"
Draft: 3' 6"

34T/34HT

LOA: 38' 8"
Beam: 14' 3"
Draft: 3' 4"

It's worth noting that the 350/390 had a 'bussel' added that lengthened the hull to the the entirety of the swim platform, while the 34T/34HT have a bolt-on swim grid for a platform. Therefore the LOA on the hull is really in the swim platform. The cabin square footage is identical.

Hi KatheK
Below is a list I made after chartering a 390 and purchasing our 400. It may be of some help. We've been very happy with the 400 after 5 years, loop and 9,000 miles. Happy to try and answer and specific questions. Paul

Mainship 400 Pro’s and Con’s

Pro’s:
Great walk around has been a big help for locking and docking

Ergonomics generally very good, i.e. stairs, getting on and off

Tons of upstairs and outdoor living space and bike storage

Airy main level with 360 degree views for the chef and all

Great galley and storage, electric stove / oven works well

Large head and shower

Extremely well done electrical and mechanical systems

Fixed? Issues with the 340/350/390
- forward birth bulkhead is higher and shallower so you don’t bump your head turning over at night
- no well by the helm door to trip you
- has a dinette table for 4

Con’s:
Small sleep cabins have no lounge space to do double duty

240 volt isolation transformer means no power at all if no access to 240 volts at docks or boat yards and problems at 208 volt docks

Unfolding the salon hide a bed a problem

Bow master V birth is noisy due to wave slapping on hard chine,
All boats with hard chines have the same issue to some degree?

Cummins a great engine and extensive service network but electronic engine management means not much user service can be done ( mechanical Yanmar might be the better choice if you are used to doing a lot of your own work.) Getting down in to the engine compartment is awkward with the single but great access once in.

Electric vs. propane for stoves and BBQ

Not good (I don’t think many power boats are) in heavy or rolly seas compared to a sailboat

Horrible generator access for coolant change

Low pilot seats

Expensive relative to the 390

Narrow cabin due to the wide walk-arounds not very conversational?

Thank you all for your really generous sharing of information and opinions. If there are other trawler style boats around 40’ that won’t break the bank, please do make suggestions. No aft cabins because of access to get aboard, no ladders to climb, seaworthy enough to be able to go to the Bahamas at least, flying bridge, no under counter fridge, fit for the Great Loop (draft etc), please do share.

Hi KatheK
Below is a list I made after chartering a 390 and purchasing our 400. It may be of some help. We've been very happy with the 400 after 5 years, loop and 9,000 miles. Happy to try and answer and specific questions. Paul

Mainship 400 Pro’s and Con’s

Pro’s:
Great walk around has been a big help for locking and docking

Ergonomics generally very good, i.e. stairs, getting on and off

Tons of upstairs and outdoor living space and bike storage

Airy main level with 360 degree views for the chef and all

Great galley and storage, electric stove / oven works well

Large head and shower

Extremely well done electrical and mechanical systems

Fixed? Issues with the 340/350/390
- forward birth bulkhead is higher and shallower so you don’t bump your head turning over at night
- no well by the helm door to trip you
- has a dinette table for 4

Con’s:
Small sleep cabins have no lounge space to do double duty

240 volt isolation transformer means no power at all if no access to 240 volts at docks or boat yards and problems at 208 volt docks

Unfolding the salon hide a bed a problem

Bow master V birth is noisy due to wave slapping on hard chine,
All boats with hard chines have the same issue to some degree?

Cummins a great engine and extensive service network but electronic engine management means not much user service can be done ( mechanical Yanmar might be the better choice if you are used to doing a lot of your own work.) Getting down in to the engine compartment is awkward with the single but great access once in.

Electric vs. propane for stoves and BBQ

Not good (I don’t think many power boats are) in heavy or rolly seas compared to a sailboat

Horrible generator access for coolant change

Low pilot seats

Expensive relative to the 390

Narrow cabin due to the wide walk-arounds not very conversational?

Paul B has covered the basics very well. I would add that the hinged (not sliding) salon door is a step up from the 390. No trucks (rollers) to replace and you can open both sides to give you a wide living space from stern all the way to the stairs to the cabins. It also has a retractable screen door to keep the bugs out.

As far as the isolation transformer goes, it is a nice feature. You don't run the risk of stray current in the water and it won't trip in the marinas with newer ELCI power stanchions. And BTW you can get a Y connector and run on two 30 amp services in marinas that don't have 240 at the stanchion.

I had a 400 which I was VERY happy with. Sold it and got a 430 aft cabin, which I'm also very happy with.

Agree on the comments on the 400. The strong suit is the nice walk around sides and the nice cockpit. For engine access (had a single Yanmar) I had removable aluminum hatch supports which make access really easy.

The 430 comes close to the 400 economy if run at hull speed. My GF loves the aft cabin and the half down galley, which I became accustom too quickly. Very easy to make the bed. Overall, a lot more room, especially on the flybridge.

The engine room with twins on the 430 is tight for the outsides of the engine, but doable. If you think the 400 generator is bad, the 430 is MUCH worse, stuffed in a shoebox and very awkward to service. Changing a simple impeller the other day took two hours, way longer than the 400. On the 400, remove the bolt so it swings out and is super easy to access.

Both great boats, and both great for the loop which I'll be doing a second time this March.

A comment about fuel consumption. The twin engine version's fuel consumption AT HULL SPEED is almost identical to the single engine version, so "fuel economy" is false reasoning for buying a single. We had a twin and single run side by side for 500 miles, and the twin actually beat the single in fuel consumption.

I loved my single, but love the twin WAY more. MUCH more maneuverable and does have speed advantage if you need it.

Last edited:
You should look at more trawlers, De Fever, Ocean Alexander, Nordic or American Tug even Meridian.

I’m looking at a lot of trawlers. Here’s what I’ve come up with so far: I originally thought I’d prefer a single engine diesel because of accessibility for maintenance but now am edging toward dual engines, no ladders is still important, after reading comments about the noise of wave slap I’m now thinking maybe an aft cabin would be nice, not too big is still important (34-40’), for additional outdoor room I’d like a flying bridge, but the tugs are very attractive, I really don’t want any exterior wood that needs upkeep, I want to buy a boat that would be easy to sell after doing the Loop, we need comfy seating (recliners) in the salon, I’d prefer a galley up rather than down, doing the Loop is the main idea but I will want to go to the Bahamas and maybe Nova Scotia so need a sturdy and dependable boat with updated electronics. Going 8-10 mph is fine most of the time but I’d like to be able to do 15-20 if necessary. And, of course, money is an object. The Mainship 390 sure does fit most of this bill but I’m willing to consider other boats. If money were no object, I like the Nordhavn 40 or 41. I’m open to suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom