Old 08-14-2019, 10:12 PM   #1

City: Rock Island, IL
Sliding Door to Cabin on MS 34 Hard to Open

The sliding door to the cabin from the helm is getting harder and harder to slide open on our MS 34 Pilot. Any suggestions on how to clean and or lubricate the tracks? lithium grease? Graphite, etc? Thanks for any help!!
sammy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:59 AM   #2

City: FL
Vessel Model: Benneteau Swift 42
may want to get the door off and see if there's rollers maybe nylon that flattened out or frozen
lipets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:22 AM   #3
Guru

City: Bainbridge Island/Petersburg Alaska
Vessel Name: Oz
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
We use Boeshield on our door rollers. Works great!

Tator
Tator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:11 AM   #4

City: Rock Island, IL
Will give it a try. Thanks!!
sammy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:34 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
The rollers are known to rust. The rollers need to be replaced. I did mine 2 years ago.

1) Remove the door
-> Try to raise wheels as much as possible. There should be holes at the bottom of both doors that will take a phillips head screw driver.
-> Mind had a track at the top of the door that had to be removed.
-> Lift the door so that the rollers clear the track. Pop-up the bottom, then the top will come out of the slot (It helps to have 2 people)

2) Remove the rollers

-> I had to remove the bottom of the door
-> now remove the rollers from the bottom of the door

3) Visit Box Stores and Hardware Stores until you find a set that fit. I found mine in Lowe's

4) Install new rollers

5) Re-install door.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:40 AM   #6

City: Hyannis, MA
I replaced the upper rollers last year and found the exact replacement “trucks” from Boat Outfitters. These rollers are available in three sizes. I first removed the shroud to access the door and loosened the upper track to identify what roller was needed. The wheels on mine has totally deteriorated . The mechanical repairs were straightforward however cleaning all the caulk and re- caulking was tedious.
Jeffg47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:59 AM   #7
oak
Veteran Member

City: Highland Beach, Florida
Vessel Name: Miri
Vessel Model: Mainship pilot 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffg47 View Post
I replaced the upper rollers last year and found the exact replacement “trucks” from Boat Outfitters. These rollers are available in three sizes. I first removed the shroud to access the door and loosened the upper track to identify what roller was needed. The wheels on mine has totally deteriorated . The mechanical repairs were straightforward however cleaning all the caulk and re- caulking was tedious.

Can the sliding door be removed without removing the shroud? One response indicates the door can be removed with the shroud in place while another removes the shroud. Is it possible to remove the door without removing the shroud cover?
oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:08 PM   #8

Sliding door

My boat is a 2001 Pilot 34 Hard Top. The shroud is held in place with screws which are easily accessible. The joint is caulked to keep things water tight. Since the upper track must be loosened to slide the door out, the shroud/cover needs to come off. Take a look at the diagram of the upper track on Boat Outfitters site and you’ll see the wheels are held captive by the track. I replaced my upper track since it was split. Make sure all screws on the track are flush so as not to interfere with rollers. Hint.. don’t re use the stainless screws if the heads are even slightly damaged. Buy some new screws and match the Phillips head driver accordingly. (Ask me how I know&#128526 Good luck with it ... a rewarding repair!
Old 04-19-2022, 09:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Cape Haze FL
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
how to remove the helm door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffg47 View Post
I have a mainship 390 and i am trying to remove the helm door to replace the rollers. Can you explain further what shroud you took off? The vertical shroud? the top shroud? How did you loosen the upper track. I don't see any screws? I am at a total loss on how to remove this helm door.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 01:21 PM   #10

City: green cove springs
Vessel Name: GEM
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
i believe the shroud is probably unique to the pilots. it is a cover panel which creates a "pocket door" for the sliding main companionway door. it's actually pretty easy to remove.
Old 04-20-2022, 06:45 AM   #11

Hammer.. The 34 Pilot and the 390 are different species. Sorry .. I have no experience with your model. Hopefully someone else on the forum can steer you towards a solution.
Jeff