Old 01-08-2020, 08:34 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartouche View Post
Sorry they are Not - I dock next to a 350 it is shorter in Main salon look at the windows on both you will see, and aft deck which reflects up top. forward yes it is identical
Raft next to one with the cleats lined up. Unless they made a mold change in certain years. I'm talking about a 1999 350 and a 2003 390. Every piece of literature I've found indicates it was a name change with the same molds.

Apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:31 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: westbrook, CT
Vessel Name: schatzi
Vessel Model: mainship 390
My 2000 390 has aluminum rails and only two Wipers. I don't think too many were exactly the same. Switches were in different places sometime as well.
skipper724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:21 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Saugatuck MI
Vessel Name: Odelay
Vessel Model: Transpac Eagle 32
We have a similar overhang on our Transpac 32 but a full (not walk-around) berth. My 6'4" husband sleeps with feet off the bed. With my claustrophobia I've tried sleeping with my head aft, but I wake up halfway through the night unable to breathe and a headache due to the berth not being level fore to aft. So I sleep kind of curled up, but I've got more room than I would in a walkaround queen. We've only had the boat a couple of years and haven't spent many nights on it, but I do wonder how well we'll sleep if/when we do the Loop.
Transpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:37 PM   #24
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
When boat shopping we looked at several with the overhang the OP mentioned. Was a no-go for us. Settled on our 42' sundeck trawler with an aft full queen walk-around with almost 7' of headroom. Aft lines/fenders are a bit more trouble to handle - but the old saying is so true - all boats are a compromise.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:23 PM   #25
Guru

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
You have the room to either move the mattress aft, or open the head and master doors, but not both. The doors swing inward, and they both come extremely close to the bunk. Plus once you move it aft, you're going to have to crawl in over the foot to get into the berth. Plus access your drawers will be awkward.
That had occurred to me, Shrew. I see Beneteau addressed that problem by replacing the single door with a pair of doors. That might buy 8-10 inches, but I don't think it's enough to get my head and shoulders out from under the cave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transpac View Post
We have a similar overhang on our Transpac 32 but a full (not walk-around) berth. My 6'4" husband sleeps with feet off the bed. With my claustrophobia I've tried sleeping with my head aft, but I wake up halfway through the night unable to breathe and a headache due to the berth not being level fore to aft. So I sleep kind of curled up, but I've got more room than I would in a walkaround queen. We've only had the boat a couple of years and haven't spent many nights on it, but I do wonder how well we'll sleep if/when we do the Loop.
Disappointed to read this, Transpac. We have corresponded about your boat and the possibilities of customizing an Eagle 32, but I hadn't seen this problem coming. Rats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotCharlie View Post
When boat shopping we looked at several with the overhang the OP mentioned. Was a no-go for us. Settled on our 42' sundeck trawler with an aft full queen walk-around with almost 7' of headroom. Aft lines/fenders are a bit more trouble to handle - but the old saying is so true - all boats are a compromise.
The sundeck layout definitely solves the cave problem, but at the expense of scaling a ladder to reach the dingy. Guessing that's not an issue with my knees today. All boats are indeed compromises. That's perhaps the most valuable lesson I've learned so far here at Trawler Forum.
HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:31 PM   #26

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Name: Andare
Vessel Model: Sabre 38 Hardtop Express
Bow Slap

I must be a 4th kind of people. The bow slap was comforting, reminded me that I was right where I wanted to be. My wife and I spent 7 months on our 390. The overhang was not bothersome, and with the lights out it disappeared...until I banged my head on it.
Fixin to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:20 AM   #27

City: Louisiana
Vessel Name: Jolly Mon
Vessel Model: Mainship 350/390
I think Cartouche may be mistaking a MS 400 for a MS 350/390...the 400 has a longer house shorter cockpit and is about 2 ft longer overall.
gerilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:21 PM   #28

City: Southern California
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
The overhang is a slight issue - but I quickly got used to it and slept just fine. (Though Iím only 6í). The curve above your head is well rounded, so even those couple times I hit it were not painful. We had a couple bean bag seats the kids used in the salon, and stored them under the overhang when not sleeping. This created a very comfortable backrest when we wanted to lounge in bed and read or enjoy our coffee. In regards to the hull slap, it was never an issue for us - and less than some boats Iíve been on. It has to do with the existence of a hard chine and how far above the waterline it is. On the 350/390 it actually is fairly high near the bow - which helps. Every boat has compromises. The 390 is a great all around SD trawler style boat. And yes, the 350 and 390 are nearly identical as others have discussed. I shopped both extensively before buying our 390.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:34 PM   #29

City: Kingston Ontario
Vessel Name: On The EdJ
Vessel Model: Sundancer 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerilla View Post
I think Cartouche may be mistaking a MS 400 for a MS 350/390...the 400 has a longer house shorter cockpit and is about 2 ft longer overall.
No I am not but sometimes it is not worth discussing any further. I must have the only 390 that is 41.5 overall not 39, but hey what do I know just learning with a tape measure they are not the same but what the hey, No skin off my nose - enjoy
Cartouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartouche View Post
....... sometimes it is not worth discussing any further.
I completely agree.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 04:50 AM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Faversham
Vessel Model: Mainship 350/390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Nope

Yep. We have a 350 and have friends with a 390. We raft together frequently and have walked the gunnels comparing. They are identical with only a few exceptions. The exterior is absolutely identical

Stern Cleats:
-> 350 are mounted on the transom
-> 390 they are inboard with hawses on the transom corners

Handrails:
-> 350: Aluminum
-> 390: SS

Bridge Salon:
-> 350: bench seats
-> 390: Bench seats with two semi-circular backrests

Salon:
-> 350: small semi-useless 'desk' on stbd inside of slider
-> 390: No desk, small shelf instead.

Galley:
-> 350: surface mounted cabinets
-> 390: Flush mounted cabinets
dish storage in port shelf beneath port windshield

Guest Berth:
-> 350: Full size bunk
-> 390: Twins

Master Berth:
-> 350: slightly smaller island berth
-> 390: Slightly larger berth
Taller cabinets

Bow:
-> 390: Samson Post

Windshield:
-> 350: 2 windshield wipers
-> 390: 3 windshield wipers

Gelcoat Color:
-> 350: white
-> 390: a touch of a cream color (side by side, the 390 is has a tiny hint of beige compared to our 350).
Thanks Now I know that I am an owner of a 350
Mainshiptom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 09:03 AM   #32
Guru

City: gulf coast
wave slap when at anchor can be noisy in the bow.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote