Shade over Aft Cabin on Mainship 430

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
I guess shade over any aft cabin boat would be interesting, but looking for options for a Mainship 430.

Hard top has advantage that I can mount solar above and it doesn't wear out for a long time.

Canvas Bimini is probably less costly and much easier to take down if needed, but needs to be replaced periodically.

Ideas?

That was one of the first things I was going to do to my Willard 30 when we first had her.

But the thoughts just seemed to vanish afterward. Never did it and never missed it. Seems really odd as straight away we moved to SE Alaska near Ketchikan. But we never really needed it.

That was one of the first things I was going to do to my Willard 30 when we first had her.

But the thoughts just seemed to vanish afterward. Never did it and never missed it. Seems really odd as straight away we moved to SE Alaska near Ketchikan. But we never really needed it.

Eric,

Thx, but I going to do something. I could just not use that area in the Florida sun as I have a covered fly bridge, but feel it's too much space to be unusable 6 to 8 months out of the year.

I'm waiting for my canvas guy to get back from Cambodia so he can make a bimini cover for our aft deck. We talked about an 8 feet long, 130 inch wide, 48 inches above the rails, three bow bimini with a cover for the sliding door. No estimate yet.
Seevee, I'll be emailing you pictures about some of the things we've talked about.

One advantage if you go w the solid cover is more storage. You would adding more weight too. Canvas Bimini may be a quicker solution. We have a removable sun awning that we deploy when not underway.

My Pilot 34 had a canvas cover on the aft cockpit deck. Worked great. See the pic below.

David

Attachments

• Bella at our dock.jpg
    Bella at our dock.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 18
I'm waiting for my canvas guy to get back from Cambodia so he can make a bimini cover for our aft deck. We talked about an 8 feet long, 130 inch wide, 48 inches above the rails, three bow bimini with a cover for the sliding door. No estimate yet.
Seevee, I'll be emailing you pictures about some of the things we've talked about.

Porman,

Thanks! I'm not considering a cover or roof that will take solar panels. have you considered this?

I need to make a few drawings an post them for more ideas.

This year I really should replace the canvas over the cockpit.
Also, a sun shade from the pilot house roof, fwd, covering the fwd part of the boat to assist the A/C on keeping the stateroom cool.

Porman,

Thanks! I'm not considering a cover or roof that will take solar panels. have you considered this?

I need to make a few drawings an post them for more ideas.

No, not thinking of solar panels because I want to be able to fold the top to the aft. I considered solar for the boat at one time, but decided we didn't need it. We cook with propane and the rest of the boat is pretty efficient. We can spend three nights on anchor without needing the generator.
My canvas guy just got back from vacation and will be starting the top soon. I'll post pictures when it's done.

How about just an aluminum frame and use the solar panels for the roof. Make it so you can break it down in a short time if an Hcane decides to zero in.

How about just an aluminum frame and use the solar panels for the roof. Make it so you can break it down in a short time if an Hcane decides to zero in.

Jay,

I've thought of exactly that... trying to work on something. However, I think it would be a real challenge to take it down for a hurricane, but the hurricane might do that for me.... something to think about.

Thx

Jay,

I've thought of exactly that... trying to work on something. However, I think it would be a real challenge to take it down for a hurricane, but the hurricane might do that for me.... something to think about.

Thx

Many boats (at least in New England) have "tuna towers" that fold down for transport. Hinged and can easily fold back. Maybe think along those lines. You're a creative guy.

I made a shade frame from 7/8 ss tuping and I riveted all the connecting fittings. The shade itself is fabric that passes water but blocks 90% UV.

Bud

Attachments

• shade.jpg
    shade.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 19
Best source to buy a new enclosed Bimini ?

Just buying our first boat, a 44 ft Marine Trader and so excited to be part of this group! Got a question: anyone have a good source to purchase a Fly Deck full canvas Bimini as well as a sun deck cover?

Just buying our first boat, a 44 ft Marine Trader and so excited to be part of this group! Got a question: anyone have a good source to purchase a Fly Deck full canvas Bimini as well as a sun deck cover?

Welcome! And congratulations on that Marine Trader!

I rigged up a temporary sun shade like this for over my aft cabin:
51gP7w2ZupL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I also have a full Bimini top and enclosure on my flybridge. That's usually a custom-made item. Local canvas shops will be able to do this. They don't come cheap, and their backlog is often extensive, so getting it done in a timely way can be a challenge.

You can buy pre-made Bimini tops, but they generally don't fit right or look right, and they won't come with side curtains to make a full enclosure.

I installed a pre-made Bimini top on our Camano and it was great. I tried to find one for the aft deck of our Mainship and couldn't. It's wider than anything I could find online. Having one custom made right now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom