Old 04-13-2020, 02:06 PM   #1

City: Crystal River
Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot
Sea Doo for a Dinghy?

I really don't know if this is a stupid question or not, but is it possible to have a Sea Doo for a dinghy? Is it too heavy and what type of hardware would you use?
I have a 34' Mainship Pilot.

Thanks
tisho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
It would depend on what one, they weigh from about 400 pounds to over 1000 pounds. That makes a big difference.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 05:03 PM   #3
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
I'd give it a thumbs down but, only if you were planning on using the jetski for taking the dog to shore, fetching groceries, riding it to a restaurant for dinner. All of those are activities that require some amount of storage and the ability to ride it and remain dry.

Don't get me wrong, I like jetskis but wouldn't have one for a dinghy. They're two vastly different vessels.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:40 PM   #4
Guru

Click image for larger version

Name:	seadoo.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	101428

Best of both?
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 07:03 PM   #5
Guru

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
Our tender (dinghy) is used for the following which would be challenging or impossible with a jetski: Grocery shopping; taking 4 adults and a couple of grandkids ashore; going ashore for dinner without getting wet; cleaning the waterline; picking and dropping crab pots. Your usage may of course differ and a jet ski certainly offers an experience not possible in most tenders. Do be aware that some cruising areas forbid jetskis, for example San Juan Islands, British Virgin Islands, and possibly others.
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 07:06 PM   #6
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
A regular jetski is easy to flip while under tow. Would not do it.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 07:15 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Some municipalities and counties ban the use of Jet Skis in their jurisdiction.

San Juan County in Washington was one of the first to ban Jet Ski's.

The Washington State Supreme Court upheld it in 1998.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 07:18 PM   #8
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
In the Crystal River area it would be a lot of fun (warm water). But not practical as a dinghy for all the already listed reasons. Better than nothing I suppose, especially if anchoring out and heading to a beach or sandbar is your main goal.

And no, you do not want to tow one in open water.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:25 PM   #9
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
You also have to take some precautions if you are towing it. Towing it can cause water to backflow into the engine. You have to disconnect something to keep that from happening....and from what I remember it was not that convenient. I had a SeaDoo twin engine boat that I always wanted to tow....but never did because of this.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:28 PM   #10

https://www.jetdrift.com/towing-jet-ski-behind-a-boat/
Old 04-13-2020, 09:18 PM   #11
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Not a good match for the reasons cited. Here is one more reason it would not be such a good dink. We often transport our bicycles from boat to shore when we are on the hook. That is why I really don't like inflatables either, although there are millions of inflatables out there.

Did anyone mention they are all gassers, your boat might be diesel which means you have to carry gasoline on board. It is something many boaters are forced to do. My Dinghy has a 2 hp outboard with a built in tank. Holds about a gallon, I fill it about once a year. Jet skis are gas hogs, just an afternoon ride can suck up ten gallons.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Southport-ish
Vessel Name: Bad Idea
Vessel Model: 36 Albin
I use a sea doo speedster as a tinder. It's about 900lbs so it's only towable but very enjoyable. Jet drives are high maintenance and all Jet skis are not great in salt water after two years the only way to remove bolts are to cut them off. The ocean spray gets in everything and you can't protect with bottom paint in the tunnel or the jet drive. I go through 2-3 impellers a year because of jack assery and shallow water runs. Disassembly is required if you suck up a rope also. If you jump it 8ft in the air you will break all the hatch latches and need to use a jeep style hood latches to hold down the two large ones. Motor mounts will break next and will need to be solid mounted with a throughbolt and double nutted and at that time you will break the dripless so replace that too. 60mph in 6 inches of water is expensive and hard work. You got to pay to play but this is my least expensive hobby. Inflatable tinders are too easy.
Attached Thumbnails
20200414_104703.jpg   IMG_0036(1).jpg  
Joint Effort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:56 AM   #13
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by tisho View Post
I really don't know if this is a stupid question or not, but is it possible to have a Sea Doo for a dinghy? Is it too heavy and what type of hardware would you use?
I have a 34' Mainship Pilot.

Thanks
Why not!! It would be fun. I see it all the time when we cruise the PNW.

Well unless you are in San Juan County. Jet skis are illegal.

In Prince William Sound there was a young man and his wife that would deliver groceries, beer or ice, fishing gear by jet sled.

Go for it!!
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Texas
Vessel Name: Miss Adventure
Vessel Model: DeFever 49 CMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint Effort View Post
I use a sea doo speedster as a tinder. It's about 900lbs so it's only towable but very enjoyable. Jet drives are high maintenance and all Jet skis are not great in salt water after two years the only way to remove bolts are to cut them off. The ocean spray gets in everything and you can't protect with bottom paint in the tunnel or the jet drive. I go through 2-3 impellers a year because of jack assery and shallow water runs. Disassembly is required if you suck up a rope also. If you jump it 8ft in the air you will break all the hatch latches and need to use a jeep style hood latches to hold down the two large ones. Motor mounts will break next and will need to be solid mounted with a throughbolt and double nutted and at that time you will break the dripless so replace that too. 60mph in 6 inches of water is expensive and hard work. You got to pay to play but this is my least expensive hobby. Inflatable tinders are too easy.

I guess there's no need to ask how you know all that?
I like the boat and tinder names.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:50 AM   #15

Great way to reduce the complaints about your burbling generator in a busy summer anchorage!
Island Cessna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 12:20 PM   #16
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
With the right boat, folks have used a jet ski as a dingy.

These have usually, however, been express cruisers with large swim platforms. Hurley even makes davits especially for jet skis.

Unfortunately, your Mainship doesn't have the large swim platform of a boat like a Sea Ray Sundancer. Aside from the size, can your platform handle the weight? Here the weight would include the jet ski as well as you when you loaded the davits.

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 02:24 PM   #17
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Joint Effort, that's quite an endorsement for a Speedster. Kind of makes me want to run out and buy one, no wait, I'm a glutton for punishment, I think I'll get two.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 02:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
Joint Effort, that's quite an endorsement for a Speedster. Kind of makes me want to run out and buy one, no wait, I'm a glutton for punishment, I think I'll get two.

pete
I have had a Speedster and also a Yamaha Exciter. They are an absolute blast....BUT....I never could figure how to use it as a traveling tender.

PS...the Yamaha engine and drive system was far superior to the SeaDoo. And the fit and finish of the SeaDoo was far superior to the Yamaha.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:05 PM   #19
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
If you had to go the store for groceries take a small and fast motorcycle to the Safeway store. Oh that’s stupid.

A dinghy is a tiny freighter whose major role is transporting people and “stuff” to the 34’ motherboat.

A jetski is a riding toy like most small motorcycles. If you’re even thinking about this you’ll need a real dinghy too. However if you eat, sleep and dream jetski’s you better sell the motherboat and buy jetski’s for all your friends.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 03:17 PM   #20
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
If you had to go the store for groceries take a small and fast motorcycle to the Safeway store. Oh that’s stupid.
I do it all of the time. Sometimes it takes me almost an hour to get to the store which is only 1.5 kms away and some how I've gone over 35kms and I'm covered in dirt. I get home and my wife asks me where the heck I went. I must be particularly stupid.

At least I have a good excuse now.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote