Running light bulb for side nav light on 2002 Mainship 390?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...heck, many running light fixtures aren't mounted correctly by the manufacterer....the USCG has submitted that several times in safety bulletins.

These are never compliant, except maybe by accident

Attachments

• Flush running lights.jpg
    Flush running lights.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 10
These are never compliant, except maybe by accident

Back in the late 80's or early 90's, Key West boats were using them a lot and I wrote/called USCG headquarters a few times letting them know they didn't meet standards just by walking around the boats with the lights on.. That started my crusade about the really poor design and construction on so many vessels. Obviously they didn't pay much attention to a helo pilot. Reminds me of a few here. :D

I joined the USCG thinking I may get into the USCG Boating Inspection branch (where you went to manufacturers to ensure things met standards) but they did away with that branch about the time I joined. I was looking forward to the learning curve from a recreational boater to someone in the biz.... just had to pick it up elsewhere.

Turns out that bulb just had some corrosion on the bulb ends. Scraped that off and works just fine.

Don't know what the details of the bulb are, could not read it, but it looks like a tiny cigar with metal caps on both ends.

Thanks for the responses!

Last edited by a moderator:
Turns out that bulb just had some corrosion on the bulb ends. Scrapped that off and works just fine.

Don't know what the details of the bulb are, could not read it, but it looks like a tiny cigar with metal caps on both ends.

That type are commonly called 'festoon' bulbs.
Sounds like you fixed it for now. I'd get some spares, too.

If any water cops are making you dismantle your light housings on recreational boats to check bulb type, arc spread and regulatory compliance, somebody must have dug up Franz Kafka and reanimated his bones. Can anybody reference a single specific court case, state or federal, on recreational boats, where bulb type was a issue in litigation in any boat accident or damage? I know, in the U.S. anybody can file anything, at least initially, regardless of merit but at some point I think this gets silly. If visibility is the objective, then my LED festoon bulb replacements are far brighter and clearer and less fragile than the incandescents ever were.

Last edited:
I can't reference it, but I have heard that poor sector definition or error has come up in cases.

So in an accident your lights may be checked, but on a normal safety stop, no boarding officer will flag them as long as they look like manufactured lights and turn on you are probably OK. Unless it is night and your lights are pretty obviously in error.

Even if you have certified lights with original bulbs, unless you have checked they are mounted correctly, you could be in the same situation as any light in sector error.

Turns out that bulb just had some corrosion on the bulb ends. Scrapped that off and works just fine.

That is a very common problem. Even putting a LED bulb in the fixture can result in the same situation. That is why I like the LED fixtures, they eliminate a common point of failure since there is no socket to plug a bulb into.

Maybe this will put the debate to rest. This is from Hella. It clearly states that it is USCG type approved when replaced as an assembly.

https://www.hellamarine.com/en/prod...=3 NM NaviLED,completely sealed installations.

It doesn't at least to me, not sure which angle you are addressing.

There are lots of USCG certified assemblies.

There are now USCG certified bulbs for existing fixtures if you believe the manufacturer and independent sources that believe the manufacturer.

"Allegedly" the manufacturer was contracted by the USCG to develop bulbs for the purpose so the USCG and everyone else didn't have to run out and replace existing fixtures.

Seems like sone just don't believe that.

Last edited:
FWIW, I have LEDs in my navigation side lights on my 2000 Mainship 390 where they will remain. While the aforementioned comments are valid, the main issue (according to a lighting company rep) with LED replacements in Nav lights is that people were using "cool white" LED bulbs behind colored lenses calibrated for incandescent bulbs, which changed the color of the Nav light. Clearly, an unacceptable situation. This can be remedied by using "warm white" LED bulbs designed for this purpose. Mine look exactly as they did prior to the swap, give off less heat and use about 1/5 the power of the old bulbs.

Turns out that bulb just had some corrosion on the bulb ends. Scraped that off and works just fine.

Those are festooned type and fairly common. Only thing to be aware of there are 3 or 4 c ifferent sizes and a couple different end cap styles. While the most common is the convex conical end there are some used on boats that have a concave dimple in the end cap. Inyhink those are also known as barrel ends.
There is at least one style anchor light that used the dimple end festooned and finding them in LED was a challenge when I was looking. A thin wipe of silicone grease helps keep the corrosion away.

Back
Top Bottom