Rudder Stuffing Boxes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamC

Vessel Name
Sea Shanty
Vessel Make
1999 Mainship 350
Greetings,
I own a 1999 350 Trawler. This photo from the 390 owners manual I downloaded from this site (thanks!) accurately depicts what I have on my boat. Can anyone here specifically identify the manufacturer of these rudder components? Is that important to know before repacking?

I don't see any evidence of water when the boat is at the berth but all the bronze is lightly corroded a dry, light green. I don't know when or if the rudder packing has ever been replaced (my ownership only one year). I'd like to go ahead and repack before re-launching in the spring.

I've already seen the recommendations for the GFO packing and plan to use it. Care to offer any advice or cautions? Is there anything else you would do on your rudder system at re-pack time?

Thanks,
Adam

Attachments

• Rudder SB.png
    Rudder SB.png
    170.3 KB · Views: 96
I just performed this job in the water for the first time since 2002, when I bought the boat.

The only criteria is the size or thickness of the packing.

I disassembled mine to measure, bought the GFO & replaced with the same number of rings.

remember to offset the cuts in the rings.

In my case, there was very little water when I took it apart.

Adam,
If you search the MS parts photo links in the sticky at the top of the M-MS builders section and find what looks like your parts the photos give the supplier MS purchased from.
That said, knowing the source may not be al, that important.
I think all you need is to accurately measure the shaft dia and the ID of the packing housing to determine the size of the packing needed.

Last edited:
An easy way to measure the size of the stuffing is using drill bits. Find the one that fits in and isn’t loose and that is the packing material size.

An easy way to measure the size of the stuffing is using drill bits. Find the one that fits in and isn’t loose and that is the packing material size.

Brilliant Comodave! Exactly the kind of tip I can use.

Wow! What a resource!
Bacchus, where do you find the time?
-Adam

Wow! What a resource!
Bacchus, where do you find the time?
-Adam
Its been a long time effort and others here and the old Yahoo site provided info and inspiration.
Its a whole lot easier to post info and point others to it than look it up and retype posts so some selfish interests. Bottom line I like sharing info and paying it forward for those that have helped me.
And ultimately Dave had the easy and simple answer!

Greetings,
I own a 1999 350 Trawler. This photo from the 390 owners manual I downloaded from this site (thanks!) accurately depicts what I have on my boat. Can anyone here specifically identify the manufacturer of these rudder components? Is that important to know before repacking?

I don't see any evidence of water when the boat is at the berth but all the bronze is lightly corroded a dry, light green. I don't know when or if the rudder packing has ever been replaced (my ownership only one year). I'd like to go ahead and repack before re-launching in the spring.

I've already seen the recommendations for the GFO packing and plan to use it. Care to offer any advice or cautions? Is there anything else you would do on your rudder system at re-pack time?

Thanks,
Adam
All clean and dry...looks great.

Greetings,

Thanks,
Adam

Both ABYC and the largest shaft manufactuer, Western Branch Metals advise against GFO packing as it contains graphite which can cause galvanic corrosion of the shaft.

Our boat had Duramax packing in it when we bought the boat. It doesn’t even drip, underway or stationary. So I went with it when I rebuilt our port stuffing box. And will pack the starboard stuffing box with it this winter when I rebuild that box. The shaft on the port side looked brand new where the stuffing is.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom