Rudder alignment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cyn143srog

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Cara Mia
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 Rumrunner
My Mainship Rumrunner is now on the hard for a few months.
The bottom looks excellent but what I did notice is the rudders are not perfectly aligned. Should they be toe in or out. Any thoughts on this issue?

Roger

Most planing boats the front edge of the rudders are closer than the aft edge. But this varies from boat to boat. On some Carolina sportfish builds, we would set them towed in 1/2". Then go for a sea trial and disconnect one rudder clevis, then with boat on plane going straight, adjust clevis so pin just dropped in. Boat at the time steered with one rudder.

What Ski said.

But I'll have to admit the free boat (501 Chris Craft) seemed to have a bit of toe out when we hauled it. And it tracked like it was on rails when we brought it down from WP to Ft. Lauderdale. So I left it alone.

My Mainship Rumrunner is now on the hard for a few months.
The bottom looks excellent but what I did notice is the rudders are not perfectly aligned. Should they be toe in or out. Any thoughts on this issue?

Roger

if there is no visual damage or ungainly looking bends in the rudders...not being perfectly parallel may be a factory set.

If nothing has been said and your sea trial seemed satisfactory....you might never see any difference playing around with a few degrees of angle.

If your boat runs above 20 knots all day long...then like Ski said...there are ways to set them for optimum performance...but on most boats it's hardly noticeable.

I ran an assistance towing boat where the rudder was bent in all kinds of configurations...including forward to the point where the prop nuts chewed an inch square out of the leading edge.

While slightly noticeable with all these bends, surprising how well the boat performed.

Actually reverse suffered the most from a bent prop...maybe the same for you...notice anything?

I'm always looking for some things that might need attention. Well the rudders are fine, they toe in slightly. I turned on the autopilot, set the rudders so they are straight and they look perfect. Thank you for your help.

Roger

there is always a little play in the system so setting rudders slightly tail out has been the solution to avoiding flutter at speed.

I guess tail in would accomplish the same so it is probably a big nut little nut discussion.

If nothing has been said and your sea trial seemed satisfactory....you might never see any difference playing around with a few degrees of angle........but on most boats it's hardly noticeable
My boat rudders are about 1½-2 degrees off as indicated by the rudder indicator. It's been no problem. :blush:

Attachments

• IMG_0865.jpg
    IMG_0865.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 69
Back
Top Bottom