Old 05-16-2022, 09:40 AM   #1

City: Delray Beach, FL and Denver, CO
Vessel Name: PartnerShip II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 400
Reupholster Forward V-Berth

I finally finished replacing the vinyl on all surfaces in the forward V-birth. This project was more difficult than I initially thought, but that seems to be the way it is with anything boat.
I started by removing the 3 plywood horizontal panels that are above the port hanging locker an run all the way to the SB side. Once I got those down I removed the port locker and disassembled the starboard interior locker to start removing the vinyl. This was probably the most difficult because of the way the builder stapled the vinyl and foam to the back sides of every panel. Removing the headboard was next. I then glued down strips of wood to staple the new material to. Following the curve of the hull was challenging but I used multiple strips of 1/4 wood and it worked well. Then installed the new foam. I probably should have made a pattern first. I stapled the top of the vinyl to the edge of the horizontal plywood piece, pushed that into place and then stapled the vinyl and foam to the wood strips. Once that was done on both sides I covered the horizontal plywood pieces and installed those. The one valuable piece of advise I would make is to fit these plywood pieces back in place BEFORE covering them. I did fit them and found that the middle piece for some reason did nit fit the same as when I removed it. But once that was done everything went back together nicely. I then removed the headliner, installed plywood panels to mount new lights to and reinstalled. The last piece of vinyl that goes between the horizontal plywood and the headliner was the most difficult. This piece also goes around the porthole windows. I included several pictures so you can see the progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Forward V-Birth1.jpg   Forward V-Birth2.jpg   Forward V-Birth4.jpg   Forward V-Birth9.jpg   Forward V-Birth11.jpg  

Port new ceiling light mount.jpg   Forward V-Birth12.jpg   Port new vinyl.jpg   Forward Birth Headliner.jpg   Forward Birth Headliner3.jpg  

Newtrawlerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:55 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Wow! Looks great.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Clear Lake Shores,TX (Boat in Ft Myers, FL)
Vessel Name: Blue Tortuga
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtrawlerowner View Post
I finally finished replacing the vinyl on all surfaces in the forward V-birth. This project was more difficult than I initially thought, but that seems to be the way it is with anything boat.
I started by removing the 3 plywood horizontal panels that are above the port hanging locker an run all the way to the SB side. Once I got those down I removed the port locker and disassembled the starboard interior locker to start removing the vinyl. This was probably the most difficult because of the way the builder stapled the vinyl and foam to the back sides of every panel. Removing the headboard was next. I then glued down strips of wood to staple the new material to. Following the curve of the hull was challenging but I used multiple strips of 1/4 wood and it worked well. Then installed the new foam. I probably should have made a pattern first. I stapled the top of the vinyl to the edge of the horizontal plywood piece, pushed that into place and then stapled the vinyl and foam to the wood strips. Once that was done on both sides I covered the horizontal plywood pieces and installed those. The one valuable piece of advise I would make is to fit these plywood pieces back in place BEFORE covering them. I did fit them and found that the middle piece for some reason did nit fit the same as when I removed it. But once that was done everything went back together nicely. I then removed the headliner, installed plywood panels to mount new lights to and reinstalled. The last piece of vinyl that goes between the horizontal plywood and the headliner was the most difficult. This piece also goes around the porthole windows. I included several pictures so you can see the progress.
Wow great job. I spent over $4500 having mine done.
Clear Lake Shores, TX
Blue Tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:07 AM   #4
Guru

City: Everett WA.
Vessel Name: Triton
Vessel Model: 48' Golden Egg Harbor
Very nice !
RonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:24 AM   #5
Dwk

City: Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: Patty Ann
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1 1980
Great looking! Our plan is to replace ours next winter, hope it looks as good when finished.
Old 05-17-2022, 03:54 PM   #6

City: Sheridan
Vessel Name: Ethos of the T
Vessel Model: 26 Sedan Tollycraft
That looks like a complete PITA!
trihartsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Miami, FL
Vessel Name: Mermaid Life
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
Douglass, what lights did you end up installing in place of the ugly fluorescent ones? I’m planning to re-do my master stateroom too, but I’d like to use some shiplap up there instead of the vinyl. I have a couple of cats that every once in a while, they get a little rambunctious in their play, and the vinyl takes a hit. Thank you for posting your photos. I like having an idea of what’s back there before I commit.
Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:09 PM   #8

City: Delray Beach, FL and Denver, CO
Vessel Name: PartnerShip II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
Douglass, what lights did you end up installing in place of the ugly fluorescent ones? Iím planning to re-do my master stateroom too, but Iíd like to use some shiplap up there instead of the vinyl. I have a couple of cats that every once in a while, they get a little rambunctious in their play, and the vinyl takes a hit. Thank you for posting your photos. I like having an idea of whatís back there before I commit.

I bought some inexpensive LED puck lights on Amazon. Like many, they use springs to hold them up. They throw off great light.

Maichis RV LED Puck Light, 12V RV Interior Light, 6Packs 4.5Inch RV LED Recessed Light, Full Aluminum 12 Volts RV Light Fixture for RV, Motorhome, Camper, Trailer, Boat, White and Silver Finished 6 pack for $40.00

Newtrawlerowner is offline   Reply With Quote