Reupholster Forward V-Berth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newtrawlerowner

Vessel Name
PartnerShip II
Vessel Make
2003 Mainship 400
I finally finished replacing the vinyl on all surfaces in the forward V-birth. This project was more difficult than I initially thought, but that seems to be the way it is with anything boat.
I started by removing the 3 plywood horizontal panels that are above the port hanging locker an run all the way to the SB side. Once I got those down I removed the port locker and disassembled the starboard interior locker to start removing the vinyl. This was probably the most difficult because of the way the builder stapled the vinyl and foam to the back sides of every panel. Removing the headboard was next. I then glued down strips of wood to staple the new material to. Following the curve of the hull was challenging but I used multiple strips of 1/4 wood and it worked well. Then installed the new foam. I probably should have made a pattern first. I stapled the top of the vinyl to the edge of the horizontal plywood piece, pushed that into place and then stapled the vinyl and foam to the wood strips. Once that was done on both sides I covered the horizontal plywood pieces and installed those. The one valuable piece of advise I would make is to fit these plywood pieces back in place BEFORE covering them. I did fit them and found that the middle piece for some reason did nit fit the same as when I removed it. But once that was done everything went back together nicely. I then removed the headliner, installed plywood panels to mount new lights to and reinstalled. The last piece of vinyl that goes between the horizontal plywood and the headliner was the most difficult. This piece also goes around the porthole windows. I included several pictures so you can see the progress.

Attachments

• Forward V-Birth1.jpg
    Forward V-Birth1.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Forward V-Birth2.jpg
    Forward V-Birth2.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Forward V-Birth4.jpg
    Forward V-Birth4.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Forward V-Birth9.jpg
    Forward V-Birth9.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Forward V-Birth11.jpg
    Forward V-Birth11.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Port new ceiling light mount.jpg
    Port new ceiling light mount.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Forward V-Birth12.jpg
    Forward V-Birth12.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Port new vinyl.jpg
    Port new vinyl.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Forward Birth Headliner.jpg
    Forward Birth Headliner.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 22
  • Forward Birth Headliner3.jpg
    Forward Birth Headliner3.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 21
I finally finished replacing the vinyl on all surfaces in the forward V-birth. This project was more difficult than I initially thought, but that seems to be the way it is with anything boat.
I started by removing the 3 plywood horizontal panels that are above the port hanging locker an run all the way to the SB side. Once I got those down I removed the port locker and disassembled the starboard interior locker to start removing the vinyl. This was probably the most difficult because of the way the builder stapled the vinyl and foam to the back sides of every panel. Removing the headboard was next. I then glued down strips of wood to staple the new material to. Following the curve of the hull was challenging but I used multiple strips of 1/4 wood and it worked well. Then installed the new foam. I probably should have made a pattern first. I stapled the top of the vinyl to the edge of the horizontal plywood piece, pushed that into place and then stapled the vinyl and foam to the wood strips. Once that was done on both sides I covered the horizontal plywood pieces and installed those. The one valuable piece of advise I would make is to fit these plywood pieces back in place BEFORE covering them. I did fit them and found that the middle piece for some reason did nit fit the same as when I removed it. But once that was done everything went back together nicely. I then removed the headliner, installed plywood panels to mount new lights to and reinstalled. The last piece of vinyl that goes between the horizontal plywood and the headliner was the most difficult. This piece also goes around the porthole windows. I included several pictures so you can see the progress.

Wow great job. I spent over $4500 having mine done.

Very nice !

Great looking! Our plan is to replace ours next winter, hope it looks as good when finished.

That looks like a complete PITA!

Douglass, what lights did you end up installing in place of the ugly fluorescent ones? I’m planning to re-do my master stateroom too, but I’d like to use some shiplap up there instead of the vinyl. I have a couple of cats that every once in a while, they get a little rambunctious in their play, and the vinyl takes a hit. Thank you for posting your photos. I like having an idea of what’s back there before I commit.

Douglass, what lights did you end up installing in place of the ugly fluorescent ones? I’m planning to re-do my master stateroom too, but I’d like to use some shiplap up there instead of the vinyl. I have a couple of cats that every once in a while, they get a little rambunctious in their play, and the vinyl takes a hit. Thank you for posting your photos. I like having an idea of what’s back there before I commit.

I bought some inexpensive LED puck lights on Amazon. Like many, they use springs to hold them up. They throw off great light.

[FONT=&quot]Maichis RV LED Puck Light, 12V RV Interior Light, 6Packs 4.5Inch RV LED Recessed Light, Full Aluminum 12 Volts RV Light Fixture for RV, Motorhome, Camper, Trailer, Boat, White and Silver Finished 6 pack for $40.00
[/FONT]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom