Old 02-28-2021, 08:32 AM   #1
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Replacing Headiner in a Mainship 400

All,

I'm looking for experiences in replacing a headliner, specifically in a Mainship 400, which is probably similar to a lot of other boats.

Can anyone let me know what the costs were and the time frame?

Did anyone do this themselves?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Headliner.jpg  
Old 02-28-2021, 01:07 PM   #2
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa. USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Here is a link to the Stella Blue website about the headliner. Maybe this will help.
Headliner Reinstallation
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:51 AM   #3
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
Here is a link to the Stella Blue website about the headliner. Maybe this will help.
Headliner Reinstallation

Porman,

Thanks, have that page, and it's good. Kinda wondering what one would charge to do it.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:51 AM   #4

City: Sassafras River, Maryland
Vessel Name: Seventh Sojourn
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
Seevee,

Mine certainly needs to be replaced as well. I saw how it was done on Stella Blue and it seems to be a 1 day DIY project, but my biggest worry is breaking the plastic capture strips that the vinyl is tucked into. After 15 years or so the plastic might be brittle and I wouldn't know where to source the strips.

Let us know how it goes if you attempt it.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most. E.B. White
garmstro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:42 PM   #5
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Yeah, my headliner look like that too. I'm watching this thread with interest.

I saw the same page from Stella Blue, I think the hardest part would be working around the lights. Maybe use the old piece of headliner as a template?

The bigger issue for us is the hull liner in the Fwd cabin which is de-laminating. My canvas guy looked at it last week and said it would be a $4,000 job to replace it.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:18 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
What do you mean by delaminating? Is the headliner glued to the hull? If so I have used liquid contact cement and a syringe to inject it behind the headliner. Inject the cement, push the headliner against the hull to spread it on the hull and headliner, let the headliner relax away from the hull and let it dry. Then push the headliner back to contact the hull and firmly push it in contact. Worked well for me.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Tampa, FL
Vessel Name: Blooper
Vessel Model: 2004 Mainship 400T
The bigger issue for us is the hull liner in the Fwd cabin which is de-laminating. My canvas guy looked at it last week and said it would be a $4,000 job to replace it.[/QUOTE]

My cushion guy replaced the hull liner with a headliner carpet material. He removed the top layer of the vinyl (thin, colored part) and glued the headliner material on with contact cement - sprayed with a compressor. Job was done in a day.

Looks good. Total cost was approx. $1100.

Skip
Tampa
sailorskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:27 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Mainship Headliner Track

Here's a supplier of the track MS used for their late model year headliners.
It looks like they also sell an "rocker" type installation tool.

https://acousticalwallfabric.com/tw-...-segment-7-50/
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:27 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorskip View Post
The bigger issue for us is the hull liner in the Fwd cabin which is de-laminating. My canvas guy looked at it last week and said it would be a $4,000 job to replace it.
My cushion guy replaced the hull liner with a headliner carpet material. He removed the top layer of the vinyl (thin, colored part) and glued the headliner material on with contact cement - sprayed with a compressor. Job was done in a day.

Looks good. Total cost was approx. $1100.

Skip
Tampa[/QUOTE]

I now remember your post on this a few months back, it does look good. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:16 PM   #10

City: Harriman, TN
Vessel Name: Anchors Away
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
On our 2000 390T, the headliner was sagging/falling in both the salon (bad) and forward cabin (barely noticeable). Pulled it down from the salon; came right off and left no residue. There is some well-adhered residual glue, which lays down tight and is pretty smooth. After examining options, will tape it off, put on 2 coats of Kilz and then 1 coat of light beige satin paint. Simple, low maintenance, easy cleanup/touch up, and brightens up the interior. Lighting and speakers require no mods. Don't believe the old headliner provided much sound dampening.
Bullnuke675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:20 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullnuke675 View Post
On our 2000 390T, the headliner was sagging/falling in both the salon (bad) and forward cabin (barely noticeable). Pulled it down from the salon; came right off and left no residue. There is some well-adhered residual glue, which lays down tight and is pretty smooth. After examining options, will tape it off, put on 2 coats of Kilz and then 1 coat of light beige satin paint. Simple, low maintenance, easy cleanup/touch up, and brightens up the interior. Lighting and speakers require no mods. Don't believe the old headliner provided much sound dampening.

Thanks, but the headliner in the 390 is completely different than the headliner in a 400. The 390 was glued up, the 400 is held up with tracks. It's rough behind the headliner of a 400.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:19 PM   #12

City: Harriman, TN
Vessel Name: Anchors Away
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Understand. Good luck with your fix. R/
Bullnuke675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Here's a supplier of the track MS used for their late model year headliners.
It looks like they also sell an "rocker" type installation tool.

https://acousticalwallfabric.com/tw-...-segment-7-50/
Bacchus, I thought I was pretty good at Googling to find stuff like this but you put me to shame! But $117 for the roller tool??

Thanks for the find!

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most. E.B. White
Old 03-04-2021, 03:11 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmstro55 View Post
Bacchus, I thought I was pretty good at Googling to find stuff like this but you put me to shame! But $117 for the roller tool??

Thanks for the find!
Ouch! I missed the price of tools completely.
I saw the "tucking tool" but even that is $75 !
The puc provides a decent idea to make your own tool from a piece of thin stiff plastic, plexiglass, etc... just smooth the edges
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:28 PM   #15
Guru

Yeah, I looked at that too. The verbiage says the tool is "under $30" but it is priced at $75 for a rounded edge putty knife. I wonder if Yanmar makes it for them? That's about how they price stuff.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:18 AM   #16

City: Delray Beach, FL and Denver, CO
Vessel Name: PartnerShip II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
All,

I'm looking for experiences in replacing a headliner, specifically in a Mainship 400, which is probably similar to a lot of other boats.

Can anyone let me know what the costs were and the time frame?

Did anyone do this themselves?

Thanks

I will be doing my headliner myself. I looked at the pictures mentioned and it looks pretty easy, although that depends on how you look at these types of projects.
This type of headliner is refereed to as WisperWall. The material is held up by a plastic track that's screwed in place. The material is pushed into this track to hold it up.
Here is a video I found from Regal Boats.

The video even shows several tools made from old putty knives.

I have removed some of my headliner already so I'm committed. I pulled down the old material above the sink, removed the track and pulled out all of the old staples. If you plan on stapling the new material up, be sure to use stainless staples.
There are 4 tracks that run the length of the boat. When the headliner was installed they stapled the headliner to the outside 1st. Then installed the strip that it gets pushed into. The material is inserted it into the middle track, then the second track, then the track screwed up after the edge was stapled. The middle track will also hold the piece on the other side of the boat.

Standard headliner width is 54" wide and the track width from the side above the windows to the middle is about 52" wide. The longest overall length is 15' so you'll need 30 yards of material to do the main salon. The original material is NOT foam backed but has a type of very thin cloth.

I found 2 places that sell material similar to what is currently there. marinevinylfabric.com and rochfordsupply.com. Marinevinyl has a very impressive description of their material having both UV and mildew resistance and is good for outdoor use AND the price is right. Plus you can order a sample pack for FREE. I purchased 1 yard of white material from marinevinyl.com as a test piece. The piece I got has no backing.

As soon as I install the sample I will take multiple pictures of the headliner removed, the tracks and what it looks like installed. I expect this to be a 2 person job and take about 1-1.5 hours per side after all old material is removed. I expect removal to take at least as long.
Newtrawlerowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 11:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtrawlerowner View Post
I will be doing my headliner myself. I looked at the pictures mentioned and it looks pretty easy, although that depends on how you look at these types of projects.
This type of headliner is refereed to as WisperWall. The material is held up by a plastic track that's screwed in place. The material is pushed into this track to hold it up.
Here is a video I found from Regal Boats.

The video even shows several tools made from old putty knives.

I have removed some of my headliner already so I'm committed. I pulled down the old material above the sink, removed the track and pulled out all of the old staples. If you plan on stapling the new material up, be sure to use stainless staples.
There are 4 tracks that run the length of the boat. When the headliner was installed they stapled the headliner to the outside 1st. Then installed the strip that it gets pushed into. The material is inserted it into the middle track, then the second track, then the track screwed up after the edge was stapled. The middle track will also hold the piece on the other side of the boat.

Standard headliner width is 54" wide and the track width from the side above the windows to the middle is about 52" wide. The longest overall length is 15' so you'll need 30 yards of material to do the main salon. The original material is NOT foam backed but has a type of very thin cloth.

I found 2 places that sell material similar to what is currently there. marinevinylfabric.com and rochfordsupply.com. Marinevinyl has a very impressive description of their material having both UV and mildew resistance and is good for outdoor use AND the price is right. Plus you can order a sample pack for FREE. I purchased 1 yard of white material from marinevinyl.com as a test piece. The piece I got has no backing.

As soon as I install the sample I will take multiple pictures of the headliner removed, the tracks and what it looks like installed. I expect this to be a 2 person job and take about 1-1.5 hours per side after all old material is removed. I expect removal to take at least as long.
Upon closer inspection the sample I bought does have a cloth backing.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtrawlerowner View Post
Upon closer inspection the sample I bought does have a cloth backing.
I assume you probably have the same ceiling vinyl as me with my 2004 MS400, what color did you end up ordering to get the best match to the current material? (Or did you get creative and order something else?)

Gary

Old 03-06-2021, 09:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmstro55 View Post
I assume you probably have the same ceiling vinyl as me with my 2004 MS400, what color did you end up ordering to get the best match to the current material? (Or did you get creative and order something else?)

Gary
I went with white. Rather than try and match, I'd rather have a brighter interior.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:05 PM   #20

City: Chesapeake Bay
Ever consider Vinyl Planks

Has anyone ever seen or considered using PVC Vinyl Beardboard Planks? I once saw this on a 400 as was thinking about trying it.
Attached Thumbnails
7050981_20190418131828485_1_XLARGE.jpg   7050981_20190418131830456_1_XLARGE.jpg  
Skipjack99 is offline   Reply With Quote