Old 03-08-2021, 04:49 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Miami, FL
Vessel Name: Mermaid Life
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
I really like that beadboard look. My neighbor did that on a classic Feadship and it was beautiful. His boat was like a museum inside.
Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 01:48 PM   #22

City: Dawson City, Yukon
An interesting video on the subject by the Nordhavn expert.
https://youtu.be/DNMxOhv0ly8
Dean Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 01:49 PM   #23
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
All,

I'm looking for experiences in replacing a headliner, specifically in a Mainship 400, which is probably similar to a lot of other boats.

Can anyone let me know what the costs were and the time frame?

Did anyone do this themselves?

Thanks
Why are you replacing? It's hard to tell from the picture but doesn't look bad.
backinblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:02 PM   #24
Guru

I'm not sure of the reasons that some of you here need to replace the headliner, but if it's only for cosmetic reasons, I can share my experience. My Mainship Pilot has a smooth cream-colored (vinyl?) headliner. As purchased used, it had terrible mold stains that I could not remove no matter what I tried. I remembered a product I used to restore some leather furniture and it worked fantastic. Looks like brand new material. It's available in many colors from https://www.wood-n-stuff.com/. Print the color chart for a color match. Mine was "cream". I wasn't sure it would work on something other than leather. Easy to apply and I admire it now every time I look up. A couple before/after pics attached part way through the process.
Attached Thumbnails
20200419_111250.jpg   20200419_111714.jpg  
backinblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 04:59 PM   #25

City: Delray Beach, FL and Denver, CO
Vessel Name: PartnerShip II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 400
MS 400 Headliner Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtrawlerowner View Post
I went with white. Rather than try and match, I'd rather have a brighter interior.
I removed a portion of the headliner and installed some vinyl material I purchased from marinevinyl.com as a trial to see what I was in for. My headliner absolutely needed replacing so it was this or some other idea. I went with white "Flexa" material. It was difficult to start inserting it on each of the tracks, but here's what I figured out. 1st step after removing the old headliner is to run your tool into the track and run it the length of the boat. That gets any old headliner material out and helps with getting the new materials started. Next spray soapy water solution on the track, the backside of the material and the outside. Start pushing the material into the track. You may notice some of the vinyl comes back out as you remove your tool. No worries. Once you have done a few more feet, go back with your tool and push it back in again. It takes a few tries, but it does work. I included a few more pictures as well as the section I did as a test. I spent about 30 minutes getting this piece up AFTER removing the old material, spraying the track, and getting it started. The materials I used is pretty stretchy in both length and width, so the tighter its installed the better it will look. Also after it sat a day, I went back and cleaned up a few wrinkles in the materiel at the seems by using the tool and "rolling" the tool into the seam. I also included a picture of the tools I made from old putty knifes. The small and middle size tool worked the best.
I also included a drawing of how the material is installed at the factory. The outside edges were stapled, then the track installed. Otherwise the outside edge of the track will be visible after installation. See my drawing. They did the same at the front and rear of the boat using a piece about 1" wide. As I mentioned earlier I expect the whole job to take about 3 days between removing and reinstalling the lights, taking all outside tracks down, removing the old staples, stapling the new material to the outside edges, reinstall the tracks then push the new material into the tracks. A lot of patience will get the seams wrinkle free and looking like new. Also the material I used is mold and mildew resistant and is made for a marine environment, according to their website. The overall length is 15 feet so you'll need 10 yards of material. About $70 plus shipping. I won't be buying this for about 1 month so I'll see how it looks after 30 days and then decide to buy.
Attached Thumbnails
New headliner.jpg   Middle Track.jpg   Old Headliner.jpg   Port side rear track.jpg   Headliner Tools.jpg  

Headliner Drawing.jpg  
Newtrawlerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:06 PM   #26

BTW the reason I decided to replace rather than restore as some have done is there was a large hole from the material shrinking. Plus the material was in such poor condition it tore quite easily. Some have posted about trying to "restore" the finish. I was not able to do that in my case. The other thing I noticed as how sticky the old material is. I placed a box on the shelf in the main berth that rubbed against the material. When I pulled the box off the shelf some the the material came off. I plan on replacing that as well.
Old 03-18-2021, 05:14 PM   #27

City: Sassafras River, Maryland
Vessel Name: Seventh Sojourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtrawlerowner View Post
BTW the reason I decided to replace rather than restore as some have done is there was a large hole from the material shrinking. Plus the material was in such poor condition it tore quite easily. Some have posted about trying to "restore" the finish. I was not able to do that in my case. The other thing I noticed as how sticky the old material is. I placed a box on the shelf in the main berth that rubbed against the material. When I pulled the box off the shelf some the the material came off. I plan on replacing that as well.
Thanks for being the pioneer on this project. Mine badly needs to be replaced but it was a project that I wasn't looking forward to doing. Based on the comments and contributions on this thread, I feel it is very do-able.

Gary

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most. E.B. White
garmstro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:31 AM   #28

City: Rock Island, IL
How to Clean Vinyl Headliner?

I believe I have the Whisperwall vinyl headliner. It gets tucked into the plastic tracks as described in this thread. Any recommendations on what to use for a general cleaning? There are no spots, just a film of dirt from being transported. Thanks!
sammy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:34 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy999 View Post
I believe I have the Whisperwall vinyl headliner. It gets tucked into the plastic tracks as described in this thread. Any recommendations on what to use for a general cleaning? There are no spots, just a film of dirt from being transported. Thanks!
I like to use 303 Protectant for cleaning and protecting everything on my boat that is vinyl, rubber, plastic, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I recently discovered Z Cleaner as a good general cleaner if you think you need more of a heavier-duty cleaner. You can always use the 303 afterward.

https://ztuffproducts.com/pages/z-cleaner
Old 11-24-2021, 01:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
All,

I'm looking for experiences in replacing a headliner, specifically in a Mainship 400, which is probably similar to a lot of other boats.

Can anyone let me know what the costs were and the time frame?

Did anyone do this themselves?

Thanks

I finally finished installing a new headliner. I did the install by myself but it would have been much easier if I had a second person holding the material as I advanced. I found out the hard way to install each run as a separate piece. The material is just too heavy. I also found the most difficult part was going around the corners by the galley. I should have used something like a butter knife. I punctured the material as I pushed it into the track going around the corners. Also the original installers applied masking tape over the edge of the track as it went around the corner bends to soften the edge where they had to cut slits in the track. Otherwise those cuts in the track show through the vinyl. Total time to install once I got a going was about 45 minutes per run. That included trimming the excess and pushing that into the track as well. I also installed recessed puck lights as the pictures show. Much cleaner than using the old fluorescent lights. I was able to make light panels to snap the lights into using 3/8" plywood and shimming them to make the face of the plywood to be even with the bottom edge of the tracks. I also used a mixture of soap and bleach as a lubricant to spray on track and vinyl.
Attached Thumbnails
Headliner 2e.jpg   Headliner.e.jpg   Headliner 3e.jpg   Headliner 4e.jpg   Headliner 7e.jpg  

Headliner 5e.jpg   Headliner 6e.jpg   Headliner8e.jpg  
Old 11-24-2021, 02:08 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Nicely done.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 02:09 PM   #32
Guru

Nice job! Congrats!
Old 11-27-2021, 12:16 AM   #33

I think I am going to do this over the winter. A couple questions:
-To confirm, you used the Flexa Marine Vinyl Fabric?
-Did you use the existing pieces as a pattern to cut the new strips ahead of time? If not, how did you trim to size?

Thanks and nice job!

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most. E.B. White
Old 11-27-2021, 08:18 AM   #34
Guru

City: Savannah, Ga.
Vessel Name: Indigo Star
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 400
Speaking of headliners.....Anybody have an idea as to what might be causing this issue with our Mainship 400 headliner?

Its kinda like the material got a chemical or something on it but it hasn't been touched.

Its getting worse over time it seems...might have to do what was done here.....
Attached Thumbnails
20211127_080917.jpg   20211127_080938.jpg   20211127_080858.jpg  
jefndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 08:27 AM   #35
Guru

See my post #24 above. I'd suggest trying this if your headliner is physically in good shape and are just dealing with cosmetic issues.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:48 AM   #36
Guru

City: Port Canaveral
@Newtrawlerowner, when you had the headliner open did you think about adding some insulation up there?

@jefndeb, definitely looks like that water drip has some minerals or salt in it. Check what's above it or where it can be traveling from.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 09:17 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmstro55 View Post
I think I am going to do this over the winter. A couple questions:
-To confirm, you used the Flexa Marine Vinyl Fabric?
-Did you use the existing pieces as a pattern to cut the new strips ahead of time? If not, how did you trim to size?

Thanks and nice job!

Yes Flexa Marine Vinyl. The website says its mold resistant and has some UV protection plus its not that pricey and it turned out great.

No I did not use the old material as a pattern. No need. The material is 54" wide and its stretches. This is enough to get from the outside track to the middle. I included a previously posted picture that shows the 2 port side runs that I did as a trial. Do 1 run at a time. The material is way too heavy to pull it tight as you push it into the track. Also as you measure you'll notice that the narrow piece is the outside, the wider pieces are the inside. Look at my post dated 3/18/2021 for a drawing of what I mean. There are 5 tracks with the center track being the middle of the boat. I cut a length about 6" longer than the 15 foot length length. I started at the stern, installing the entire length on the port side run. Leave about 2-3" at the rear track to pull the material as you install. Then I did the rear then the other channel. I also installed a total of 5 runs. Once you look at your ceiling you'll see what I mean. You'll be left with about 3-4" of material. I used a new pair of upholstery shears, holding them flat against the ceiling and literally slid the scissors along to cut the remaining piece. I also tried a drywall knife. (DO NOT USE THAT METHOD. It left tiny cuts in the vinyl.) Then I pushed the tail piece left into the channel. As I mentioned I used a solution of bleach, soap and water in a spray bottle as a lubricant. Spray the track ahead of pushing the material in as well as the back and face of the vinyl. If you look at the picture I posted on the trial piece, you can see whats left after its installed. Another thing I discovered is when the builder installed the outside tracks they installed a 2.5" piece UNDER the track that then was pulled over the outside edge and pushed in to cover the outside edge of the track. (See picture of middle track. You can see what I mean here. You can see some vinyl under the track.) I started doing that as well but found you don't see the edge so no need. I only installed that piece across the stern track at the door as you do see this edge. When you remove the material you'll see what I mean.
I mentioned in a previous post but its worth mentioning again to apply some masking tape to the edge of the track where they cut slots in the track to go around the corners. I removed the old tape and installed the vinyl and these cuts show through the new material. I included a picture WITHOUT the tape.

The hardest part is going around the corners at the cabinets. Try using a dull butter knife and of course lots of patience. You need to pull the material tight as you go around these corners. I installed removed, reinstalled maybe 5 or 6 times before I got a wrinkle free look at each of the 3 outside corners. This part took the longest. Read all of my posts about doing this. As mentioned its only as difficult as the patience you have.
Good luck!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
New headliner.jpg   Port side rear track.jpg   Headliner 5e.jpg   Headliner 6e.jpg   Middle Track.jpg  

Old 11-27-2021, 09:23 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
@Newtrawlerowner, when you had the headliner open did you think about adding some insulation up there?

@jefndeb, definitely looks like that water drip has some minerals or salt in it. Check what's above it or where it can be traveling from.

I didn't. I would suggest against that. When I purchased this boat there were several water leaks from the fly-bridge that i finally tracked down and sealed. Insulation would have held the water and probably created some serious mold issues.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:26 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefndeb View Post
Speaking of headliners.....Anybody have an idea as to what might be causing this issue with our Mainship 400 headliner?

Its kinda like the material got a chemical or something on it but it hasn't been touched.

Its getting worse over time it seems...might have to do what was done here.....

It looks like you may have a water leak. I did as well and it left a stain on the headliner. I replaced mine because of that plus the material had split at the rear door and the material gets really sticky as it degrades. See my posts for replacing.
Old 12-18-2021, 02:19 PM   #40

Well, there's no turning back now. Removed the ceiling lights and the window valence to clear the way for the new install. Need to remove the blinds as well. Pulled down the two strips to the port side to see what I am dealing with and I think the rest of the job will go well. I think I am going to use the old pieces as a pattern to cut the new pieces. I think Newtrawlerowner used the new vinyl in it's full width but I am thinking it will be easier to work with with the more narrow strips. That's the way the factory did it.

It's really not that hard of a job and I was worried about it so thanks to NTO for being the pioneer and posting the excellent descriptions.

I found in my local Target these OXO cake knives which I think will be just the ticket to tuck in the curves around the cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG   IMG_7152.jpg   IMG_7151.jpg   IMG_7153.jpg