replacement of my 30ft pilot mainship AC unit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jann

Gentlemen
The AC unit failed and needs replacement.
it is a 7000 BTU unit by Dometic (VCD7K)
I went to defender and they have two Dometic units at a good price and compatable with my old unit's wiring and control panel.

One is 10000 BTU and the other is 6000 BTU.

The 6000 BTU has a lower price and is lighter weight than the 10000 Btu unit. I would prefer the 6000 BTU but are concern about will it cool OK.

My concern for the 10,000 BTU unit is higher price, more weight, frequent cycling, duct system large enought, tight fit.

The area of my cabin is appro 125 Sq ft.

Can any one give me advice

Regards

How did the 7K unit do in the summer time in south FL?

Is your unit under the bed in the forward stateroom as it is in a 2006 34t? If so the question about the amount of air the A/C can get is not relevant. The A/C on my front unit has two vents cut into the side wall of the area under the bed. They seem to be plenty large and if not they are easily enlarged to what ever size you may need.

What is wrong or broken on your old unit that can't be fixed? If it can't be repaired look at Flagship Marine A/C. They are in Ft Lauderdale and make many units. i installed one on a boat and was very happy with it.

http://www.flagshipmarine.com/

Last edited:
New AC

The 7K did OK.
Dometic says their 10K might be too big, for the existing duck system, and the 6K might not cool enought in hot summer days.

The present unit was examined by Fred Salrin...he has the best reputation in the area. He says the unit rusted out to much to repair.
I can get a new design turbo 8K unit but cost ~ $2500. The 6K EDC unit I can get from defender for ~$1200. The 10K unit I can get from defender for ~ $1400 I need to stay with Dometic to use existing control panel.
Think I'm slanting toward the 6K unit and take a chance ???

The 7K did OK.
Dometic says their 10K might be too big, for the existing duck system, and the 6K might not cool enought in hot summer days.

The present unit was examined by Fred Salrin...he has the best reputation in the area. He says the unit rusted out to much to repair.
I can get a new design turbo 8K unit but cost ~ $2500. The 6K EDC unit I can get from defender for ~$1200. The 10K unit I can get from defender for ~ $1400 I need to stay with Dometic to use existing control panel.
Think I'm slanting toward the 6K unit and take a chance ???

Flagship has a unit that is 6,500 Btu model FM6R and it is $1,299. Includes new control panel. Don't let that scare you. The panel is wired to the unit by way of a phone wire, just like the wire that goes from your phone to the wall. Easy to route any place. You can add heat $179. With this heat you can run it on the hard if need be. So if the dimensions will fit it is right where you want to be.

I have no connection with these folks just a happy previous customer and if one of my units goes south this is what I'm putting in.

I live in south Fl. and although I have only had my Pilot 30 since Aug. I noticed that my 7,000 btu pulled my cabin down from 90 to 75 in a very short time, 20 min or so. I dont think the the move to the 6,000 will hurt your results in maintaining a comfortable temp in the cabin. Also as others have mentioned, the tight area to add the bigger 10,000 btu unit.

AC

Stemockb
You are right, I went with the smaller, cheaper, 6000 BTU unit . It works good. In the middle of the day at ~85 outside it took the temp to 70 in no time.

Back
Top Bottom