Old 09-23-2019, 05:40 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Shilshole Bay Marina
Probably a dumb question

When someone says to adjust underway....you donít mean with the shaft spinning do you? I would assume you tighten...put in gear for a bit, take out of gear, then re-tighten if needed. Is that correct?
Wanna-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:50 PM   #22
Guru

City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Vessel Name: Papillon
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
DO NOT...I repeat DO NOT try to adjust it while the shaft is spinning. That is a good way to kill yourself or lose a body part. Who said you should adjust it underway? They are NUTS, I said replace the stuffing IN THE WATER, NOT UNDERWAY. You cannot work on a spinning shaft that has 150 HP driving it unless you have a death wish.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:17 PM   #23
STB
Guru

City: .
I've often ended up adjusting it, taking it out for a sea trial, shutting down the engine, fine tuning it, restarting and re-evaluating, and repeating as necessary.

The packing seems to need to run to break in. And, I have a tendency to set it too loose at the slip. So, by running it, I get to break it in and see how much it drips at cruise.

I wouldnt want to loosen the lock nut underway for fear that it'll loosen up and, when I go to adjust it, I'll keep losing my reference.

Regardless, I think the person giving that advice was likely talking about an fine tuning adjustment after a test run, or with engine off between segments of a test run.

Cheers!
-Greg
STB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:22 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Shilshole Bay Marina
Thatís what I thought

Hahaha, thanks for the replies. I am a fireman and immediately thought making the adjustment while under way was a sure fire way to end up in the ER.
Wanna-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:26 PM   #25
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Whilst in the US Navy, we were told to tighten when we had docked for a period of time (undefined) and loosen it prior to getting underway.
Was it done? Daymned if I know. I was in the engine room.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:53 PM   #26
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I'll go inform every millwright and industrial mechanic I've ever worked with that they are doing it wrong.

But you have a point. If you are not comfortable with doing this, then don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimisbell View Post
DO NOT...I repeat DO NOT try to adjust it while the shaft is spinning. That is a good way to kill yourself or lose a body part. Who said you should adjust it underway? They are NUTS, I said replace the stuffing IN THE WATER, NOT UNDERWAY. You cannot work on a spinning shaft that has 150 HP driving it unless you have a death wish.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:05 PM   #27
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna-b View Post
When someone says to adjust underway....you donít mean with the shaft spinning do you? I would assume you tighten...put in gear for a bit, take out of gear, then re-tighten if needed. Is that correct?
Not reallly....one must realize working around moving parts has it's dangers, but on mant boats no big deal..

You just have to make that call, but adjusting a few fittings while the shaft is turning can be daunting or no big deal.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:23 PM   #28
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
IF you insist on adjusting the shaft packing glad while the shaft is turning, remove all loose fitting clothing and I recommend, you do not undertake this without someone watching you.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:47 PM   #29
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Personally, I tend to adjust mine with the shaft just freewheeling slowly (engine being adjusted in neutral, other engine idling in gear to maintain steerage). Although I have done it idling in gear as well. Never above idle and in my case, the stuffing boxes aren't in my engine room, they're behind the bulkhead. So they're both accessed from floor hatches directly above them making it pretty easy to safely reach in there and adjust without getting caught up in moving parts (no spinning coupler bolts nearby to snag on, for example).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:57 PM   #30
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin 40
Of all the dangerous things we do in boating, never thought tightening stuffing boxes as up there...be careful but not paranoid.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:13 PM   #31
Guru

City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Vessel Name: Papillon
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
I'll go inform every millwright and industrial mechanic I've ever worked with that they are doing it wrong.

But you have a point. If you are not comfortable with doing this, then don't.

Yes, that really wasnt what I was talking about. I work on lathes and you couldnt get anything done without it spinning....LOL
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:44 PM   #32
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Been adjusting packing while underway for 35+ years without mishap. It's the easiest way to get the adjustment just right. Especially using the moldable dripless packing.

I currently have the gland type that has two threaded rod adjusters with two nuts each. Only require two combination wrenches to loosen and adjust.

A lot safer to adjust than:

The type with the very large nut and lock nut requiring two oversize open end wrenches to loosen and adjust.

And that adjustable wrench in the picture, sold as a packing nut adjustment wrench, is totally useless and dangerous around spinning shafts because they slip so easy. They were originally designed for plumbing.

My previous boat had the big nut gland and I adjusted it underway. I was younger and dumber then. I would not adjust that type underway now.
Attached Thumbnails
stuffing-box-closeup.jpg   stuffing-box-lead-560px-D.Logan-photo.jpg  
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:24 AM   #33
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Gland type is another good point for safety of adjustment. Mine are neither of the pictured types, they're just 1 big nut with ears. They get locked in place with a cotter pin through each of the ears and a corresponding hole in the flange on the stuffing box. The big nut can sometimes be turned by hand, sometimes it takes the big wrench.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:25 PM   #34

City: Merritt Island
Mainshiptom, Can you verify that your single shaft is 1.75" ?

Thanks !
pmcs is offline   Reply With Quote