Old 09-21-2018, 05:00 AM   #21
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
...and then there's the issue of resale when it's time for a change. Trying to sell a 40 year old boat is hard enough ,but when it's had a major customization done to suit a previous owner like you're contemplating, it'll be harder yet to fine any prospects. You yourself Jeff,wouldn't have bought it if the bridge had been removed ,would you? Would you reassemble it so as to make it more marketable? Storing the flybridge ,bimini top & railing would take up a lot of space.
Unless you really like the boat, my vote would be for selling it and looking at a boat designed with no bridge if your mind is made up.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:30 AM   #22
Guru

City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Vessel Name: Papillon
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
I have never owned a boat that I didnt think, "this the one I will never sell." So worrying about resale is only something car and house buyers should do.

I have the same boat and I dont like the lines of a FB. Especially with a canvas box on top of it. If you dont like the sun, why have a FB in the first place.

I may take off the FB and I may not. BUT I will not put up the Bimini. It looks like a homeless persons shack. Built on a boat.

As to preference for helm, the lower is my preference with so much better visibility when docking. In open water,who cares.

A seat for the lower helm? I dont have one and I never had one for any sailboat. Dont know why you would need one?
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:53 AM   #23
Guru

City: Friday Harbor, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
...and then there's the issue of resale when it's time for a change. Trying to sell a 40 year old boat is hard enough ,but when it's had a major customization done to suit a previous owner like you're contemplating, it'll be harder yet to fine any prospects.
For mine, (not a MK1) the FB is a very rare option on a rare boat. It's possible ours it the only one with a FB and it appears from the contruction and original documentation that it was a broker installed 'factory' add-on.

Most other owners see it as a negative and have encouraged me to delete it.
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:33 AM   #24
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
This subject has strong proponents on both sides. Personally, I'd likely NEVER own a boat without a FB. Boating is about being out in nature, enjoying your environment etc. Stuck below at a lower steering station does not do that for me. A FB with a simple Bimini for the sun (NO oxygen tents please) and I'm a happy guy. 95% operation from the bridge, 5% from below... Your mileage may vary..
Old 09-21-2018, 01:49 PM   #25
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
Jimisbell (Mainship 34 waltz across texas) on this forum poised the same question. We personally do like a flybridge for obvious reasons, mainly a better view and a whole other floor for entertaining or whatever. It's great for the type of inshore cruising we do.
I think a 34 would look fine sans the flying bridge & perhaps it would even improve the performance & stability. What I wouldn't like about being permanently committed to operating the boat from the lower helm on a model 1 34 would be the lack of a side door access/exits. It's probably no quicker to sprint from the bridge to the bow or corners of the boat regarding anchoring or docking single-handed verses from the lower helm but I don't think the boat was really designed as a lower helm-only boat.
I would move the flybridge steering and controls to the cockpit. A great docking station for almost no cost. Lots of downeast baots are set up this way.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:34 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Jeff
Have you seen any of the posts re Ebbtide's reno?
PO removed the bridge of a Grand Banks and received many many comments re the positive transformation.
He ended up having to sell due to a relocation. It certainly wasn't on the market long.
I would not worry about resale... MS made and sold later yr 34HTs that while not as popular as the 34Ts aren't selling at vargain basement prices and don't stay on the market long if priced reasonably.
Look up Ebbtide and see if you like the transformation... I think it is a great improvement but understand other opinions.
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=25444
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:59 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
I would move the flybridge steering and controls to the cockpit. A great docking station for almost no cost. Lots of downeast baots are set up this way.

Ernest Hemingway had something like that on "Pilar"

The reason I may just stop at half way, removing the entire Bimini and "Oxygen Tent" as someone called it, is that while removing the fiberglass is not too onerous, taking care of the various wires and steering cable will be a bit more work.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:40 PM   #28
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimisbell View Post

I may take off the FB and I may not. BUT I will not put up the Bimini. It looks like a homeless persons shack. Built on a boat.

A homeless persons shack??!!?? Damn it Jim, I resemble that remark!

I don't care if the OP puts a hot dog stand on top of his boat. He asked for opinions & I gave him mine. There's no shortage of them on here!

PS- That sure is a good looking Mainship I have for my avatar, isn't it?...I really think the blue bimini and flying bridge really compliment the lines of the boat. Don't you? haha!
Old 09-21-2018, 09:44 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
A homeless persons shack??!!?? Damn it Jim, I resemble that remark!

I don't care if the OP puts a hot dog stand on top of his boat. He asked for opinions & I gave him mine. There's no shortage of them on here!

Yeah and I probably have more than most and change them regularly.....any time I am itching for a fight.......
Old 09-21-2018, 10:07 PM   #30
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
removing flybridge

So I’m the guy who removed the FB on Ebbtide. For us the results were 100% positive.

When we did the work resale was not a consideration usefulness was. The end result was a unique and some think proper looking boat.

When we had to sell it was to take an adventure working abroad. She sold very quickly.

My best advice is to do whatever is best for you and your style of cruising. The rest will take care of it’s self.

Regards,
Bob
Old 09-22-2018, 02:10 AM   #31
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
This subject has strong proponents on both sides. Personally, I'd likely NEVER own a boat without a FB. Boating is about being out in nature, enjoying your environment etc. Stuck below at a lower steering station does not do that for me. A FB with a simple Bimini for the sun (NO oxygen tents please) and I'm a happy guy. 95% operation from the bridge, 5% from below... Your mileage may vary..
After 15 years of open-cockpit sailing and 50 years of high-altitude backpacking, I now prefer sheltering in an enclosed pilothouse. I do occasionally sneak out, however.
Attached Thumbnails
raccoon strait south.jpg  
Old 09-22-2018, 03:35 AM   #32
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
We would not have this problem if more builders made FB and non FB versions of their boats. Provided there is a good size cockpit,I`m perfectly happy without one.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:58 AM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
So I’m the guy who removed the FB on Ebbtide. For us the results were 100%

My best advice is to do whatever is best for you and your style of cruising. The rest will take care of it’s self.

Regards,
Bob
Bob
Thanks for chiming in.
Well said and I agree on all counts.
Wasn't sure if you were still hanging out on TF after the sale. I have seen the new owner posts.
Hope your adventure is going well.
Don
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:21 PM   #34

City: Solomons MD.
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
Something else to consider...
Maybe it's just me but our 85 Mk III seems awfully loud inside the cabin when running ... Enough so that I'd prefer to run it from the flybridge...I think I'd run it for several hours from the inside only and see how you feel about the noise.. And as far as I know ours has the standard insulation - sound proofing in the floor.
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:43 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solly View Post
Something else to consider...
Maybe it's just me but our 85 Mk III seems awfully loud inside the cabin when running ... Enough so that I'd prefer to run it from the flybridge...I think I'd run it for several hours from the inside only and see how you feel about the noise.. And as far as I know ours has the standard insulation - sound proofing in the floor.

I have heard that the MS 34 is noisy. But mine is not. Maybe I have more insulation than normal or maybe the Volvo engine is quieter?
Old 09-22-2018, 06:54 PM   #36

City: Solomons MD.
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
That could be Jim.. I have the Perkins T6.354 Range 4 200hp. Shake, rattle and roll !!
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:13 PM   #37
Guru

That is a great engine. I would take the noise. The Perkins is bullet proof. Wish I had one.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:14 PM   #38
Guru

City: West Coast
On a previous express style boat about that size, I added a tower (for fish spotting). And the tower was what is called a "full tower", not a marlin tower where one stands on the hard top. Instead, the floor of the tower station is a few feet above the hardtop, so lots of weight added relatively high. I was worried that the ride would be adversely affected, but unless I had a few big guys in the tower in sloppy conditions, there was no problem. Not sure there is any science/truth to it, but the builder told me that if the boat leans OUT in a turn, there is too much weight up top. Otherwise, the ride (at the downstairs helm) would not be adversely affected.

On my current boat, which is semi-custom, with a base design that doesn't have a flybridge, it cost a pretty penny to spec with one. It turns out that I don't use it as much as expected (in part because the pilot house is so comfortable, in part because when the weather is nice I would ordinarily prefer to be in the tower), but I wouldn't be without it. And not just because flybridges are nice for fishing (on most sportfishers, the tower gives a few from the helm to the cockpit, but the geometry of that works only up to about 55 feet, and not at all on a boat like mine that carries a dinghy on a boat deck aft of the flybridge helm.

Bottom line, I wouldn't make the chance for appearance sake, and am skeptical about the handling benefits.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:29 PM   #39
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Ive noticed that those who like flying bridges tend to live below the Mason Dixon line.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:39 PM   #40
Guru

Far enough south and the case should reverse. Its nicer in the airconditioned salon.