power supply 125v issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sanderling18

Vessel Name
Irish Jig
Vessel Make
Eastern 22 CC
I have a '06 MS 430 sedan and will be storing the boat on land for the summer. The storage yard has 125v 30A straight blade outlets located by each boat. I have made up a 30A straight blade to 125V/30A twist lock extension cord that will connect to a 125V/30A twist lock - 125V/250V 50A adapter that will connect to the 50A outlet on the boat.
I get power to the end of the adapter but nothing into the 125V circuit on the boat. I checked all the breakers and still nothing.
Is there another breaker location that I do not know about or does the ISO keep from passing the power through?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Is there another breaker location that I do not know about or does the ISO keep from passing the power through?

I can get power to the at least one 110V AC leg of our 50A/250V panel using the adapters you've described, but our boat is a 2002...

I think maybe all Luhrs Group manufacturers began installing isolation transformers sometime in 2004-05-ish. I'm told that could be an obstacle and that simple adapters might get power to the panel.

(I may have this a bit confused...)

-Chris

My Furuno 30A to 50A 125/250 adapter feeds both busses of my 50A 125/250 panel.

It all depends on what kind of panel setup you have and adapter.

Hard to tell without that info.

I can get power to the at least one 110V AC leg of our 50A/250V panel using the adapters you've described, but our boat is a 2002...

I think maybe all Luhrs Group manufacturers began installing isolation transformers sometime in 2004-05-ish. I'm told that could be an obstacle and that simple adapters might get power to the panel.

(I may have this a bit confused...)

-Chris

Editing myself...

I'm told that [isoloation transformer] could be an obstacle and that simple adapters might NOT get power to the panel.

When I said I could get power to at least one leg of our panel... it happens we were on the hard and I wanted to charge batteries. The leg the charger was on worked. I just never happened to check to see whether anything also worked on the other 110V leg.

-Chris

Editing myself...

I'm told that [isoloation transformer] could be an obstacle and that simple adapters might NOT get power to the panel..............

Told by who? All an isolation transformer does is isolate the boat's electrical system from the shore power system.

Does your 30 to 50 amp adapter work on normal shore power (like at a marina)? If your system works fine and then you add something and it no longer works, it's probably the part you added. You say you have power at your homemade adapter but are you sure it's wired correctly? Hot is on the right pin, neutral is on the right pin, etc.?

thanks for the comments.
I have checked the power all the way from the 30 amp blade outlet to the Marineco 30A 120V - 50amp 125/250V pigtail.
- Hot wire on same side leg of plugs, cables
- I get 125V on each hot leg of the 50 amp 125/250 v pigtail (going to ground and to common)
- I do not get any power to the ISO or the AC panel
- There is an automatic transfer device prior to the ISO, that switches between the bow and stern power connections. It sensors which outlet is getting power and disconnect the other.
- I connected the power to both bow and stern power connection and still nothing, thinking that either a circuit breaker was bad or the transfer device was defective.

Any more thoughts or suggestions?

If you can locate the xfer switch I would probe there although contact has to go bad normal mode of failure for those is stuck in one position not open.

Told by who? All an isolation transformer does is isolate the boat's electrical system from the shore power system.

Does your 30 to 50 amp adapter work on normal shore power (like at a marina)?

I was told by other members of our owners club (differerent Luhrs Group brand) who have the same and similar boats a smine... but are newer and have isolation transformers.

The discussion came up in the context of occasional charging while on the hard. I didn't really understand, partly because I don't have an isolation transformer... and partly because my simple chain of Marinco adapters worked fine... even though they said that same adapter chain wouldn't work for them because of their isolation transformer.

So I mention it, in case germane for OP's situation.

Can't tell if your second question was for me, or for OP... but if for me, my adapter chain was Marinco 15A to 30A, Marinco 30A to 50A... in our marina's back lot. Bunch of years ago, now, since we seldom winter on the hard, and since we've found we don't need to fool with charging the AGMs over winter anyway...

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom