Old 06-05-2018, 10:48 PM   #1

City: New Rochelle
Vessel Model: Mainship Trawler
Powder paint 40 ft Mainship

I have some big chips of the powder coating paint they put on the Mainship windows and doors coming off.Has anyone done any repair on there boats if so what did you do. Tom
tomsboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:00 PM   #2
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsboat View Post
I have some big chips of the powder coating paint they put on the Mainship windows and doors coming off.Has anyone done any repair on there boats if so what did you do. Tom
Powder coating is fairly thick. I have made repairs with high build Awlgrip primer, then 545 primer, then matching top coat. The high build has to be put on with a brush, then sanded flat with the 545 primer and top coat applied with an airbrush.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:19 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sydney
Before using primer be 100% sure you use a good quality acid based etch primer UNDER any primer on aluminum.
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:11 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Not a Mainship problem specifically. It happens to all boats in a marine environment with powder coated aluminum. In the past, I've removed parts, taken them to a powder coater and had them blast, etch and re-paint them for me.

For this project, you might as well wait until off-season, then remove all the windows and have them done at the same time. The cost per unit will be lower, and all the window frames will match.

To save cost, I've had them hold the pieces until they needed to do a run of a white that is close. Then they lump my stuff in with whatever else is getting blasted and painted. It's not as expensive as you would think.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:10 PM   #5

Poweder coating

To remove the windows and doors on the mainship trawler I think would be a very expensive job and then reinstall them.If you did it on your boat what style boat do you have and what did it coat if you don't mind. Thanks Tom
Old 06-06-2018, 08:42 PM   #6

powder coating

I'm in touch with Dayna@preminummarine .com she is looking into making a grill anyone who is interested should get in touch with her.The more the merrier. Tom
Old 06-06-2018, 08:52 PM   #7
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Hey Tom, I think you put this in the wrong thread. Please post in the thread about the grills.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:18 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsboat View Post
To remove the windows and doors on the mainship trawler I think would be a very expensive job and then reinstall them.If you did it on your boat what style boat do you have and what did it coat if you don't mind. Thanks Tom
Not sure who this was directed at, but I'll assume it was me.

I have a 99 Mainship 350 Trawler (see signature).

My windows are screwed in from the outside. The sliding door removal is easy, I've done that to replace the rollers.

I bring painted aluminum to a powder coater who does it for me. I do the work on my boat (the removal and reinstallation) myself and pay myself in beer, so I'm fairly cost-effective.

I haven't removed the windows on my boat, but have inspected them as I plan to do the job next winter. I have had other items powder coated in the past.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote