Plumbing access

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oak

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Miri
Vessel Make
Mainship pilot 34
My 2007 pilot 34 has developed a fresh water leak. The water is from behind either the port hose bib or behind the water pressure regulator. I can not find a way to access the plumbing connections. There is no way to access from over the water heater or from the cockpit lazaret. Water leaks whenever the system is pressurized. Looking for a solution before cutting a new access.

Greetings,
Mr. O. Is there any way you can get a camera in and take a look/picture? Maybe one of these things?
image_25756.jpg

Finding the source of the leak may suggest the best solution.

Last edited:
Where is your hose bib located? Mine is Just above the port side step in the cockpit and the it can be accessed from the very rear of the engine room. I know this because the fitting on the back of the hose bib cracked on winter when I forgot to blow it out when winterizing the fresh water system.
behind the port hose bib

Attachments

• D482A3ED-BA3D-4C81-8407-86AA9F708C6E.jpg
    D482A3ED-BA3D-4C81-8407-86AA9F708C6E.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 35
  • D460E5C6-E564-44C0-BA74-A81815F0C698.jpg
    D460E5C6-E564-44C0-BA74-A81815F0C698.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 35
Where is your hose bib located? Mine is Just above the port side step in the cockpit and the it can be accessed from the very rear of the engine room. I know this because the fitting on the back of the hose bib cracked on winter when I forgot to blow it out when winterizing the fresh water system.

Thanks for your great info. I can not see the back of the fittings, the hot water heater is not allowing me to get my hand close enough to see or feel the connections. Is your water heater on the port side?

Thanks for your great info. I can not see the back of the fittings, the hot water heater is not allowing me to get my hand close enough to see or feel the connections. Is your water heater on the port side?

Yes it is, it’s under the forward galley seat.

My memory is a little fuzzy (I sold my Pilot 34 last year) but I don't think I had any access to that fitting behind the water heater either. I suspect that kwmeyer13 has a different water heater or a different installation on his boat that makes it possible for him.

But I wouldn't think twice about cutting an access hole using one of the round cover plates to fill it in afterwards. The PO had to do that in a few cases to get access to things like the raw water wash down hose bib inside of the transom.

David

Not sure what I was thinking,when I typed my response about the water heater is on the starboard side under the forward galley seat. The earlier pictures were for the hose bib and the back side of it.

Attachments

• A25335A8-7426-4851-8971-6901E6803231.jpg
    A25335A8-7426-4851-8971-6901E6803231.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 30
Not sure what I was thinking,when I typed my response about the water heater is on the starboard side under the forward galley seat. The earlier pictures were for the hose bib and the back side of it.

I have no access to the fittings behind the water pressure regulator. I removed the water pressure regulator at that is where the leak is. The fitting is a Sea Tech compression fitting. So far I have not been able to get my fingers in to remove the fitting, but will give another try before cutting IMG_3654.jpgIMG_3654.jpg

Determined that the leak is from the elbow fitting where it connects to the water regulator. The fittings are marked sea tech but are now made by “ Fresh Water Systems”. The fitting is removed by pressing the ring where it enters the tubbing. I was able to get two fingers in to remove and replace. No more leak. I will also add shut off valves to isolate different systems.

Back
Top Bottom