pilot 34 standup paddleboard storage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duetto

Vessel Name
GEM
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 34
hi all,

we have a 2003 34 pilot hardtop. we recently got 2 blowup stand up paddleboards. we use a shop vac to inflate 80% but that last 20% is a bear and something i'd rather avoid. on our first trip we stored them on the port side end to end on edge. problem is tieing to the rail is virtually impossible from the boat and so we do from the dinghy. this too involves a lot of work. it also requires moving them to access the pumpout.

i've seen a few mainships with them on the hardtop. seems like it solves a lot of my problems but have not got close enough to see the setup.

is anybody doing this? if so could you describe how you store and secure.

You might give thought to adding bimini piping and fittings to the two grab rails on the top making low-rise bows at both ends to achieve a "roof rack" arrangement like some SUVs sport. I gave thought to idea for small kayaks (which I do NOT actually own), but clearing the radar would raise my air draft to the point that the piping could contact my boatlift roof. The anchor white anchor/stern light would have to be raised a foot or two to clear the boats. All doable if the hardware and extended light were foldable, but the return on investment and clunky stuff up there in addition to all the other gear there (see avatar).

I'm not familiar with the Mainship boats, but we usually carry a couple inflatable SUP's on the boat. The manual pumps normally supplied with them are certainly hard work.

I highly recommend getting an electric pump. There are some excellent 12volt pumps on the market that will pump them up with ease to the 12-15 psi pressure required.

Magma makes a nice SUP rack. That's what we use on our boat. It bolts to the stanchions, ours works best on the rail surrounding the FB.

Back
Top Bottom