Pilot 34 hull deck joint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sleeping Bear

Veteran Member
I have an 03 34 pilot that seems to have a leak that can only be coming from the hull-deck joint.
How is this joint made, is it bolted under the rub rail, or just glued?

Rod

Brava

Generally glued, probably not the source of your leak. Look at the deck, in particular if it is teak.

pete

Generally glued, probably not the source of your leak. Look at the deck, in particular if it is teak.

pete
Mainship were glued and screwed. Any significant bump on the rub rail can pop some of the joint loose and be a source of leaks. The joint hidden by the rub rail is a notorious leak source on MS as well as many other mfg depending on the joint design and fastening techniques.
Leaks into a deck core is a different animal and frequently from teak decking.

brava,

we've also got a 2003 34 pilot.

can you describe where you're seeing water?

we too have a small leak which is showing up as a little pool on the floor of the compartment under the starboard vberth bunk. no water/dampness anywhere above the compartment. i have taped guaze pads in the corners of the compartment and none have gotten wet after water appears on the bottom of the compartment. we have sprayed all forward deck/hull for a half hour but no leaks. seems like only after a rain.

water

John,

Bacchus pretty well nailed what I think we have, water just shows up. I can see it running down the inside of the hull by looking under the head counter, and behind the fuel tank on the port side. I caulked the tub rail and this stopped it, but will remove the rub rail in the winter or spring to see what is going on there.

Because most of the boat has the inner liner it is hard to see what is happening.

I cut two access hatches so I could change out the goofy tank vents that were plastic and broke when in sight of the first dock, so I can see in there too, and see where water is running down.

I don't have water in the locker under the v berth, but that is probably where it is coming from in your case.

Try caulking the rub rail and see if it stops if not it could also be the stantion bases need rebedding.

Rod

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom