Old 05-10-2017, 06:07 PM   #1

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Blue Goose
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 30 Sedan
Pilot 30 Cutlass Bearing Replacemet

Need to haul for bottom painting and probably need to replace the cutlass bearing on my 1999 Mainship Pilot 30 with the Yanmar engine. I know the shaft is 1 1/2 inch but haven't spent much time under this boat. Anyone know of the correct cutlass bearing, where to get one, and how to replace?
Blue Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:42 PM   #2

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Blue Goose
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 30 Sedan
Once again. Anyone know the cutlass bearing for the Mainship Pilot 30?
Blue Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:58 PM   #3

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Agnus Dei
Vessel Model: 36' Shin Shing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Goose View Post
Need to haul for bottom painting and probably need to replace the cutlass bearing on my 1999 Mainship Pilot 30 with the Yanmar engine. I know the shaft is 1 1/2 inch but haven't spent much time under this boat. Anyone know of the correct cutlass bearing, where to get one, and how to replace?
There is probably a "part number", however, you already know your shaft size, all you need to do is measure the ID of the bearing strut and how long it is. You take these numbers to your favorite marine supply (not West Marine) and they will hook you up.

Replacing the bearing if you're not a menchanic could be a chore, as you must take your prop shaft out, (I know there are those who will disagree and there are fancy tools to get it out, I could not justify the rediculous cost of the tooling) get the old cutlass out, clean everything up, reinstall the new cutlass, reinstall and align the prop shaft. While your down there, cleaning up the shaft and the prop as well. I'd personally take the prop off and get it cleaned and balanced at a prop shop.

Be happy to walk you through it, pictures and all. Availability for the bearing I'd say your biggest concern.

Dave
Old 07-26-2017, 02:20 PM   #4
Guru

City: South Florida
Replacing a cutlass bearing in a Pilot has a pretty steep learning curve, I leave this particular job to the yard as they have the right tools and experience.

Strut mounted bearings are pretty straightforward, keel mounted bearing carriers are challenging

$0.02
Keysdisease is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:03 PM   #5
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
It's pretty simple and sounds much more intimidating than it is. Drop the rudder so you can pull the prop shaft if you are single screw, then cut through the cutlass bearing rubber down to brass with a sawsall. Then use a hack saw blade to cut through the brass until it's thin enough to roll into the shaft space with a punch and hammer, then pull it out with a pair of vise grips. It's a hand job as you get close to the fiberglass tube the cutlass mounts in and it's nice to have good light.

I envision some kind of a slide hammer you could just shove into the cutlass to pull it out would be awesome, but I have 1800 hours on my last change and will be doing it this way again in the spring. There is a set screw (or two) in the tube to hold the cutlass in place, often painted over.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:08 AM   #6

City: New Haven, Ct
Vessel Name: - - - -
Vessel Model: ex - Vicem 58
For a yard to do the job I would estimate the cost of the short-haul and wash, $100 and change for the bearing, and 6 hours of labor (two guys @3 hours). I have not ever paid for this job on a MS - but my guess for what it's worth.

Don't live with a bad cutlass bearing for very long though. It only gets more expensive.
Symphony is offline   Reply With Quote