Old 01-30-2020, 06:36 PM   #21
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Wrap it.

Around 7 grand, 3 days (or so) lay time and easy to repair.
Maybe a hull. After 50-years, my boat had tons of dings, holes, epoxy splotches, and abandoned fittings. Painting my topside is a serious project. In the attached, you get a sense - the thwart bench is gone, as is the false stack (fore/aft benches replace the thwart seat). Click image for larger version

Name:	Weebles1.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	98889
Old 02-04-2020, 09:09 AM   #22

City: Delray Beach, FL and Denver, CO
Vessel Name: PartnerShip II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtrawlerowner View Post
I'm looking at a Mainship 400 that needs some hull repairs. Mostly scratches and dings from docking. I'm thinking of painting the hull dark blue as I've seen on other boats. Anybody done this and what was the cost?
Wanted to give an update on my post. I got 3 estimates. One was a flat $200 per linear foot plus plus a few extra $k for minor repairs plus primer for a color change. Total estimated $14k-$16k.

2nd estimate $12k and 3rd $14k.

All were for a color change from white to dark blue and all for Awlgrip Awlcraft paint.
All estimates were sight unseen and I'm expecting some price change once they see the boat, but it got me an idea.
Newtrawlerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:58 PM   #23
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Wanted to give an update on my post. I got 3 estimates. One was a flat $200 per linear foot plus plus a few extra $k for minor repairs plus primer for a color change. Total estimated $14k-$16k.

2nd estimate $12k and 3rd $14k.

All were for a color change from white to dark blue and all for Awlgrip Awlcraft paint.
All estimates were sight unseen and I'm expecting some price change once they see the boat, but it got me an idea.
Just so you know, I sent a few dozen pictures to get my quote for whole boat. Final quote more than doubled when I arrived. I went somewhere else and actually got it done for about the original quote.

Hope your story ends without a hitch or surprise.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:46 AM   #24
Guru

City: Everett WA.
Vessel Name: Triton
Vessel Model: 48' Golden Egg Harbor
Having owned a few smaller boats that were painted dark colors I will never own another one. Just like a black car.. every scratch, ding, water mark shows. I love the looks but not the work involved to keep it looking clean. And in a hot environment and your asking for a baking boat in the summer time !

Just my opinion.
RonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:13 AM   #25
Guru

City: Belgium
Wow those are some serious numbers you guys are throwing around for some pretty glossiness.

On my big steel cruiser I used enamel which lacked the luster but was affordable and still protected it. Even without the shine the boat crossed oceans safely .

If I get another boat I will likely switch to commercial or industrial chlorinated rubber coatings. But I prefer a more industrial look anyway.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:32 AM   #26
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Wrap it.

Around 7 grand, 3 days (or so) lay time and easy to repair.
Can a wrap give the same absolutely seamless glossy appearance around all angles including the bow and both quarters as a clear-coated Awlcraft job and look that way for near as long?
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:30 PM   #27
Guru

Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Wow those are some serious numbers you guys are throwing around for some pretty glossiness.

On my big steel cruiser I used enamel which lacked the luster but was affordable and still protected it. Even without the shine the boat crossed oceans safely .

If I get another boat I will likely switch to commercial or industrial chlorinated rubber coatings. But I prefer a more industrial look anyway.
Different boats, different uses, different owners' desires. My sports car would have a whole 'nother life than my truck.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:32 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonR View Post
Having owned a few smaller boats that were painted dark colors I will never own another one. Just like a black car.. every scratch, ding, water mark shows. I love the looks but not the work involved to keep it looking clean. And in a hot environment and your asking for a baking boat in the summer time !

Just my opinion.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:01 PM   #29

City: Green Cove Springs
Vessel Name: Laa-Dee-Dah
Vessel Model: 64’ Grand Banks Aleutian
Have a flag blue colored hull.... Beautiful but shows every little nick and scratch. Do over would definitely be white.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:09 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Clear Lake Shores (Boat in Sarasota, FL)
Vessel Name: Goodnight Gracie
Vessel Model: Mainship 430
I just did a full flag blue awlgrip job with new stripes-$11K at a good texas yard. I also had a very scratched hull and we did a lot of prep work to get it right.
Clear Lake Shores, TX
Blue Tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:06 AM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
That's a matter of poor insulation. Not a problem with my steel hull with insulation. Fortunately, summers in SF Bay Area aren't so severe as s/se usa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Don't think I quite agree.
I'm with RGano on this one. Dark colors absorb light (and heat), light or white does not nearly as much. That is simply physics. I had a friend with a boat with a sizable navy blue stripe. He claimed he could run his hand on the inside of the hull and feel where the blue stripe was by the heat change.

Dark hulls are more popular in colder climates. The sun is hell on the colored hulls in warmer climates, where they tend to fade quickly.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:39 AM   #32
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by garychurch View Post
Have a flag blue colored hull.... Beautiful but shows every little nick and scratch. Do over would definitely be white.
Ditto.
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:08 PM   #33

Smile Hull Painting

Quote:
I'm looking at a Mainship 400 that needs some hull repairs. Mostly scratches and dings from docking. I'm thinking of painting the hull dark blue as I've seen on other boats. Anybody done this and what was the cost?

I got the hull painted. Made some minor fiberglass repairs, primed with Awlcraft primer and 2 coats Awlcraft Flag Blue with a double white strip at the waterline. Came out great. $15k plus boat yard fee.

Also had the bottom painted at the same yard by the yard painter. All said and done total was just short of $20k.

About what I was expecting after getting 3 estimates in south Florida.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:28 PM   #34
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Downeast Maine they say "there are only two colors to paint a boat, black and white; only a fool would paint his black"
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:22 PM   #35
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Nathanael Herreschoff stated "There are only two colors to paint a boat, White and Black. Only a fool would paint a boat black". In my mind dark blue is pretty close to black. I wouldn't do it. A friend painted his 47 foot sailboat black and it looked GREAT, for a few years. The hull gathered so much heat the paint started to spiderweb and crack, now he has a huge decision to make.

My Albin was getting really yellow. I painted it with Brightside Gloss White. I used the "roll and tip" process. I think it turned out well. I only wish I would have spent more time prepping the old surface. Live and learn. The cost was a few hundred for paint, brushes, rollers, tape and clean up.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:28 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
Downeast Maine they say "there are only two colors to paint a boat, black and white; only a fool would paint his black"

When you judge another you don't define them, it defines who you are.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:24 PM   #37
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
When you judge another you don't define them, it defines who you are.
“There are only two colors to paint a boat, black or white, and only a fool would paint a boat black.”

— Nathanael Greene Herreshoff (1848 -1938)

I doubt Mr. Herreshoff cares. I think he has earned a right to his opinion regarding boats.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:45 PM   #38
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Can a wrap give the same absolutely seamless glossy appearance around all angles including the bow and both quarters as a clear-coated Awlcraft job and look that way for near as long?
Yes- the appearance is seamless and glossy. Certainly, the wrap doesn't have the depth of layers of clearcoat, but even after 3 years, we get stellar comments about the color, and almost always the "I can't believe it's a wrap" comment...

The life span of the wrap is around 10 years.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull paint, painting