Old 09-30-2021, 04:20 PM   #81
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: psn40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solly View Post
Just a heads up in case you need it. Perkins uses a special grommet on the fuel lines. Perkins calls them an 'olive'. Link... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Don't keep tightening the fitting to much. Just snug or the threads will strip. The olive is what keeps it from leaking. If you have to replace one make sure the fitting is pushed in hard so more than 1 thread catches when you go to tighten it.

When I pulled mine 2 weeks ago I found somebody previously gooped up the bottom fitting with silicone. Showed the diesel shop and the guy just shook his head and said "Oh Lord"
Thank you! I've kind of learned over the years to err on the side of caution and really take my time with delicate fittings and small fastening hardware. I'm not sure why I loosened a fuel line at the pump to bleed it, if I in fact did. It was definitely loose,tough. I normally (the few times I've had to bleed the system) loosen the bleeding screws on side of the pump and a couple of the return lines at the injectors until the air is purged.
Old 09-30-2021, 04:48 PM   #82
Guru

The Perkins is finally where it belongs!

We'll I've been waiting for this day. While we like seeing progress on the boat and the mechanical work done was definitely progress, it bugged the heck out of me not having the engine in the boat. I've got a little ways to go yet, reconnecting all of the electrical , fuel & various plumbing components but at least it went back onto the engine bed without a hitch.
This weekend should make a big difference towards getting the boat back home.
I suppose I'll line the shaft couplings up on land but not be to awful concerned with a super-close tolerance and then, after it's home and a week or so has gone by and the boat has settled into her normal shape, realign it to a higher standard.
Way back in the day I repowered a 29' Wellcraft flybridge sportfish I owned. I lined it up on land to .003-.004 and never had to touch it again. At one subsequent haul out, one of the yard employees remarked how well they were lined up. You could spin either wheel by hand and it would freewheel 2 or 3 turns! I'll be happy with this one as long as it doesn't vibrate.
Attached Thumbnails
102_0297.jpg  
Old 09-30-2021, 05:20 PM   #83
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Looking good. I have done alignments on the hard and they were fine once launched and rechecked. Good luck.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 05:45 PM   #84
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Looking good. I have done alignments on the hard and they were fine once launched and rechecked. Good luck.
That sure would be nice if I did luck out & I didn't need to realign it. I guess it depends on how the boat is blocked.
At least this time it should be a little easier since I made sure all of the mounts were clean & oiled. Maybe I'll extend a little more effort and get the alignment pretty close the first time, just in case.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:14 PM   #85
Guru

reassembly time!

Saturday, I washed and roughed up the glass frame paint for the salon bulkhead door and glass panels that I had to remove to reinstall the engine. While they were drying, I reconnected the electrical , fresh water plumbing to the cabin heater & domestic water heater, fuel supply & return lines, clutch/throttle cables & exhaust parts. I taped & put a fresh coat of paint on all of the bulkhead glass frames. While they were drying, I ran a water supply to the engine and ran it for 10-15 minutes on land to make sure everything was good. It sure sounded good hearing the old Perkins after it had been out for so long!
Sunday I went back and put the glass back in the bulkhead. I cut a notch in the top of a 2 x 4 with a bottle jack on the floor to "stretch" the height of the opening so the doors would lift up and over the frame track. The notch made it so much easier this time. Last time ,removing them, I didn't cut a notch and the 2 x 4 kept falling out plus I was concerned about bending the frame since I was pushing on the thin aluminum that the glass panels slide up into.
I also have a couple of rolls of the felt stuff used in the salon window track slides (I still need to do the back windows but new felt in the front made a huge difference) and had a roll of .250-thickness felt that I used to replace the old stuff in the doors. Hopefully the new stuff will help with the drafts and maybe make the panels & doors tighter in the frame.
We like the white frame color better than the brown that Mainship used. It kind of brightens up the salon and cockpit.
I gave the boat a good, much needed , washing too, since the temperature was in the 80's.
This morning I rough-aligned the engine. I solicited some help because having someone with a feeler gauge at the shaft couplings really makes it easier rather than climbing in and out about 100 times adjusting the 4 engine mounts and feeler-gauging the couplings! I replaced the turbo blankets, installed the shaft & rudder zincs and replaced the water intake hose with 1 1/2" wire hose to accommodate the new seacock I replaced. After that, we launched it & put her in a slip where I'll let it sit for a day & then recheck the shaft alignment. After that, she's coming home and this thread will have come to a long-awaited close!
Attached Thumbnails
102_0309.jpg   102_0311.jpg   102_0316.jpg   102_0318.jpg   102_0319.jpg  

102_0322.jpg   102_0323.jpg  
Old 10-04-2021, 04:37 PM   #86
Guru

My shaft alignment assistant and the completed engine with everything installed. The white paint in the engine compartment had better stay white with all of the new seals and gaskets the motor now has!
Launching and a slip to make sure it still floats.
Attached Thumbnails
102_0324.jpg   102_0330.jpg   102_0327.jpg   102_0325.jpg   102_0326.jpg  

IMG-1393.jpg  
Old 10-04-2021, 04:49 PM   #87
TF Site Team

Donít you love a nice white engine room? It sure looks nice.
Old 10-04-2021, 05:02 PM   #88
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Donít you love a nice white engine room? It sure looks nice.
Thank you! It used to be gray but I think the white just makes more sense in that area. If a leak develops it's easier to spot. I'm just glad it's back together. It was a bit depressing with the thing pulled apart like it was.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:10 PM   #89
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
looks great! I agree about the white engine compartment
Old 10-04-2021, 06:51 PM   #90

City: New Smyrna Beach, Fl. & Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Salty Dog & Last Dragon
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster & Mainship 34 MK 1
Congratulations! Great job. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Jc180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:00 PM   #91

City: Solomons MD.
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
+ 1 !! Looks real good !
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:29 PM   #92
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
Thank you! It used to be gray but I think the white just makes more sense in that area. If a leak develops it's easier to spot. I'm just glad it's back together. It was a bit depressing with the thing pulled apart like it was.
Absolutely, much better.