Old 09-04-2021, 07:25 PM   #61
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Gel coat restoration is depensant on condition. One step works for surfaces in very good condition but not for ones beyond that.
You'll need to try several approaches and choose the least aggressive one that works and provides sn acceptable finish.
A real bad gelcoat may need fine wet- dry sanding followed by xn aggressive compound and then a polish / swirl remover before a final coat of wax or polymer to protect the shiney surface.
The final coat provides protection but you have to get the surface where you want it before the last step.
Lots of videos online for good how to.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:36 PM   #62
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: YellowBird
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Gel coat restoration is depensant on condition. One step works for surfaces in very good condition but not for ones beyond that.
You'll need to try several approaches and choose the least aggressive one that works and provides sn acceptable finish.
A real bad gelcoat may need fine wet- dry sanding followed by xn aggressive compound and then a polish / swirl remover before a final coat of wax or polymer to protect the shiney surface.
The final coat provides protection but you have to get the surface where you want it before the last step.
Lots of videos online for good how to.
Admittedly, I just don't have the time or gumption to tackle the process that you've described above. We really did want to seal the gelcoat with a good wax though because the raw gelcoat gets looking so bad in a short time. I threw in the towel after my polishing attempt and got the yard to give it a professional compounding/polishing/waxing treatment. I have to say, we're quite happy with the way they rejuvenated the antique gelcoat! I might not look as good as new but I guarantee it looks better than it has for many years and the best thing is, it'll stay looking like that longer than out first trip out of the creek!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-1335.jpg   IMG-1336 (2).jpg  
Old 09-14-2021, 07:41 PM   #63
Guru

In other news, there is no other news. I'm still waiting on the mechanic to get well from his bout with pneumonia and come back to work so he can rebuild my clutch! I swear I'm about ready to do it myself and get the program back on the road. Or back in the water...
Old 09-15-2021, 03:44 PM   #64

City: Solomons MD.
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
Clutch or transmission ? I'm confused, where's the clutch.
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:38 PM   #65
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Clutch plate is in the transmission. Clutch cable from helm or the control box in the case of electronic throttle/clutch levers pushes the transmission clutch lever back and forth to make the boat go some place other than where it sits when you start it up.
rgano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:22 PM   #66
Guru

Damn if I know what the proper term is, if there is a proper term. I've always called it a clutch. Throttle control and clutch control at the helm. Transmission just doesn't sound right to me in a boat application. Whatever floats your boat. All I care about is getting the darned thing...transmission, clutch...the thing that makes the boat go frontwards and backwards... rebuilt so I can get our boat overboard!
Old 09-15-2021, 09:22 PM   #67

City: Solomons MD.
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
I keep looking for the pedal !!!! I've been watching Tim B at Sea on YouTube. Real tug boat Capt. He talks about clutching in and out of gear.

I know the feeling about getting the boat shipshape. I dropped the Injection pump off today to get it looked at. Only took 3 hours to get it off the Perkins...

This year is a 'hole in the water' year. Not much cruising..
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote