Old 08-23-2020, 11:42 AM   #1

City: Williamsburg, VA
Vessel Name: Bay Retriever
Vessel Model: 2004 Mainship 400
Oil & Hydraulic Fluid Change Interval

I’ve put approximately 70 hours on my 2004 MS 400 since having the engine and cooling system serviced at 1130 hours. It’s a single Cat 380 diesel. About half of the hours added have been 1-2 hours of run time at 6-9 knots with the other half with 4-5 hours at 7-9 knots.

Questions:
1. How often should the engine oil be changed, and
2. How often should the hydraulic steering fluid be change/serviced?
3. I have yet to service the Kohler Generator, other than replacing the worm sea strainer(also replaces the A/C strainer and ran barnacle buster through A/C).

As always, I appreciate this MS brain trust and look forward to the replies!

T MacDonnell
2004 MS 400
Bay Retriever
Bay Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 01:53 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Regarding the hydraulic steering fluid, has either the helm or the cylinder been rebuilt?

Two schools of maintenance for steering. You can't fix what isn't broken. The other side is that at some point most likely a seal will go, and the question is, based on your cruising style, how big a problem will it be. After 18 years, I had the helm and cylinder rebuilt. Have a few other upgrades to the system and will also replace all the fluid. As far as replacing the fluid, maybe every 10 years. Odds are probably good that doing it every time you fix or replace a component will be sufficient.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:05 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Regarding the generator, oil and filters are cheap. Do my oil and filter every hundred hours. If it hasn't been done in a while, I would establish a baseline starting point. I'd pull and clean the heat exchanger, replace the anode, replace the antifreeze, replace the raw water pump impeller, replace the fan belt, load test the battery, and maybe replace the thermostat and radiator cap.

My generator is critical to me. While it sees only 100 to 200 hours a year, when I need it to work, it has to work. Heat stroke is a problem for me. When I need air conditioning, it has to work.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:30 PM   #4
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
If the steering is working and not leaking, leave it alone and check it for proper levels.

As far as engine oil and filters, follow the manufacture's schedule.

As I cruise a lot to B.C. and SW Alaska. My oil change intervals are around 325 hours with a oil analysis once a year.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:41 PM   #5
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
On our MS 400 I go 150 to 200 hours on the engine oil, though we have Yanmars, so your Cats may be different. On the gen set, I shoot for 150 hours, though when we are actively cruising during the summer months we can hit that pretty quick, so it sometimes goes to a little longer than that.

I've never changed my steering fluid in the 8 years I've owned the boat. I've had to add a tiny bit (like maybe 2 or 3 ounces) of fluid twice, so it's seems logical that it has a little leak somewhere, but I sure can't find it.

I change the transmission fluid every couple of years, same on the coolant.

I'm getting ready to give the generator a spa day. That means oil change, coolant change, flush the heat exchanger, tighten belts, change air filter, change fuel filter and look for potential issues. I think I am going to pull and inspect the exhaust elbow mixer. I may replace some hoses as well, at least the FW coolant hoses since I'll have the coolant out of it. I'm also considering pulling the heat exchanger and painting it, but I'll see where I am time wise. If I pull it, I'll take it to a radiator shop and have them boil it for me.
Dougcole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
On our MS 400 I go 150 to 200 hours on the engine oil, though we have Yanmars, so your Cats may be different. On the gen set, I shoot for 150 hours, though when we are actively cruising during the summer months we can hit that pretty quick, so it sometimes goes to a little longer than that.

I've never changed my steering fluid in the 8 years I've owned the boat. I've had to add a tiny bit (like maybe 2 or 3 ounces) of fluid twice, so it's seems logical that it has a little leak somewhere, but I sure can't find it.

I change the transmission fluid every couple of years, same on the coolant.

I'm getting ready to give the generator a spa day. That means oil change, coolant change, flush the heat exchanger, tighten belts, change air filter, change fuel filter and look for potential issues. I think I am going to pull and inspect the exhaust elbow mixer. I may replace some hoses as well, at least the FW coolant hoses since I'll have the coolant out of it. I'm also considering pulling the heat exchanger and painting it, but I'll see where I am time wise. If I pull it, I'll take it to a radiator shop and have them boil it for me.

Doug

Thanks. That gives me something to go by. I’d like to run barnacle buster through the genset and looking for recommendations. I ran it through the a/c last month, so I am somewhat familiar with the concept. Could use some pointers for the genset.

T Mac
Old 09-05-2020, 06:45 AM   #7

City: St Augustine
Vessel Name: Agape
Vessel Model: Californian 45
We have a 2004 MS 400 also. Ours has a Yanmar 6lya-stp 370hp.
Oil and fuel filter every 250 hours or once a year. I'm doing mine today as a matter of fact. Manual says 20 liters. I also add 20 percent Lucas HD oil treatment. I run regular 15w40 non synthetic.let me know how you're liking the MS. We bought ours in April 2020 and have been full time liveaboards. How are you using it?Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200905-073633_Drive.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	107442
Pmcsurf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:50 AM   #8

Mostly weekends with 3-5 hour cruises up and down the lower Chesapeake Bay. Getting used to the boat, how she handles in various seas. Also, being a 2004, several things need replacing like the Bomar hatch handle for the head hatch Also broke a small plastic part of the windlass this weekend.