No theft prevention on MS400?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garmstro55

Vessel Name
Seventh Sojourn
Vessel Make
Mainship 400
This is my first diesel and, to my surprise, it doesn't require a key to start the engines. I just hit a switch and away I go. Is this typical for this size/type of boat or diesels? Should I worry about someone stealing it or going for a joy ride?

What have others done to prevent this?

Just curious.

Is there a key down below? Our pilot has one near electrical panel.

We do have keys on our current boat but it only has a flybridge helm so it is open. On a previous boat with both upper and lower helms the upper just had start and stop buttons and down below were switches that enabled the ignition circuits. So you locked the cabin with the ignition off and you could not start the engines without turning on the ignition from below.

In the US I wouldn't worry too much, that sized boat us rarely stolen.

They make battery switches with keys locks...might be the easiest.

Just do your regular shut down procedures,Shut off your fuel supply and raw water intakes in the engine room.And maybe install a remote security system.
Also leave your info and security decal visible for other neighbour boaters
and your Marina.:socool:

I would bet my bottom dollar there is a key at the lower station. If not it is not a huge chore to install one. There must be some way to kill the power or your oil pressure/high temp alarm would sound as soon as you shut down the engine and wouldn't stop until the battery is drained.

I agree with other members, people generally don't steal boats of your size. That is not to say that a certain number of them don't get reported stolen and are maybe never seen again.

I know I am just a small town guy with Midwest values but I regularly forget to lock my boat. I guess that is a good thing sometimes. Once I left an expensive pair of binoculars on the deck. I came back to the boat a week later and the binocs were inside on the counter. I thought maybe I had been mistaken about leaving them out but another boater mentioned them to me saying he wished he would have picked them up for safekeeping, when he went to get them, they were already gone. He felt bad.

pete

For the folks asking, there is no key. My mainship doesn't have one either.

1) Battery Isolation Switch
2) DC Breaker (On DC Panel)
3) Engine Breaker* (On DC Panel * This is where most people would find a keyed switch)
4) Starter (toggle switch) at helms.

You can replace the engine breaker switch on the panel with a keyed switch if you like. the intention is that the locks on the doors are protecting the engine switch.

On a side note. It is HIGHLY unlikely that anyone who is about stealing large trawlers has any idea how to actually start one.

Unless it’s a fast boat, preferably with Japanese outboards on the back, it’s doubtful you could even find somebody willing to steal a boat. Even if you paid them.

I am not very familiar with your location but here in Wisconsin lets pretend someone wants to steal my boat.
1) Probably couldn't get it started, if they did and wanted to untie and head out then..
2) They would get "swarmed" by helpers, someone would notice something was not right and the event would either be stopped or tracked
3) If they got away from the marina where would they head? South to Green Bay? Maybe across the Bay to Sturgeon Bay then Milwaukee or Chicago? No fuel gauges on my boat, would they make it anywhere?
4) So say they make it to the big city (Chicago) what now? Sell it ? For the little it would bring on the "hot" market it would only pay the theif or thieves a few hundred dollars a day for their effort.
5) Part it out? The engine is the only thing worth anything, the average thief wouldn't know I just spent $20,000 on the rebuild, How do you get it out of the boat? More work!
6) How about the stuff on board? Used clothing, worthless, Used electronics, nearly worthless. Ive got some nice binoculars on board but really, that's about it. Wouldn't cover the transient fee at any marina.

I guess the only reason to steal my boat would be because they want a boat and can't afford one. They sure wouldn't steal mine, it's not as shiny or new or pretty as many boats within 20 miles of mine.

Besides, the get-a-way would look like O.J. Simpson in his white Bronco, Slow Motion...

pete

Thanks for all the ideas...I kinda felt that a trawler wouldn't be on anybody's list of boats to steal. I am laughing at Pete's comment about a slow-speed chase to go after the thief.

It just struck me as odd, since all 6 of my previous boats had regular keyed ignitions.

I guess I'll go back to figuring out how to tackle the other 10 or 20 projects on my list.

Same deal on my 400, but with the additional step of activating the electronic throttles before the engines will start. Lots of bad stuff out there about the micro commanders, but they do have a few nice features.

When I bought the boat I didn't know about this step. The first time I tried to start it I couldn't figure it out without a call to the broker. I had 10 years of experience in bigger boats/trawlers at that point and still didn't know what to do, so I doubt the average thief could get it either.

A funny sidenote. The previous boat I owned was an express with a keyed ignition on the dash. That key was in the ignition for 10 years with the cabin hatch unlocked.

Same deal on my 400, but with the additional step of activating the electronic throttles before the engines will start. Lots of bad stuff out there about the micro commanders, but they do have a few nice features.

When I bought the boat I didn't know about this step. The first time I tried to start it I couldn't figure it out without a call to the broker. I had 10 years of experience in bigger boats/trawlers at that point and still didn't know what to do, so I doubt the average thief could get it either.

That's a great deterrent! I have coveted the electronic controls because my upper helm throttles are a little sticky, I assume due to the long run to the engines. Lower helm are smooth. I just can't justify the cost.

This is my first diesel and, to my surprise, it doesn't require a key to start the engines. I just hit a switch and away I go. Is this typical for this size/type of boat or diesels? Should I worry about someone stealing it or going for a joy ride?

What have others done to prevent this?

Just curious.
As long as the engine is turned off on the panel and the upper helm is shut off the boat should be locked and therefore impossible to steal. Keys are just a pain that break I love the set up. Plus as said before unless you know how to start the boat it is almost impossible

I shall remember that... Boats of this size are generally not stolen... :>)

We do have keys on our current boat but it only has a flybridge helm so it is open. On a previous boat with both upper and lower helms the upper just had start and stop buttons and down below were switches that enabled the ignition circuits. So you locked the cabin with the ignition off and you could not start the engines without turning on the ignition from below.
That's the protection for Mainships I've been on. Doors lock and electric supply cabinet controls ability to start engines, electronic controls, etc. Its different than what we might be used to but works as affectively.

A typical boat ignition key switch takes about 5 seconds to pick. Just saying.

If the thieves have their heart set on stealing your boat, locking the lower cabin might slow them down another 30 seconds.

You could install a hidden switch to defeat the starting system or perhaps remove the fuse to the starting circuit.
On my N46 there was a switch on the panel in addition to the standard keyed ignition switch.

Last edited:
If the thieves have their heart set on stealing your boat, locking the lower cabin might slow them down another 30 seconds.
You could install a hidden switch to defeat the starting system or perhaps remove the fuse to the starting circuit.

Well, since we rarely lock our boat at our dock and leave the keys in the ignitions, it probably would not slow them down too much...

In my case, I padlock the lift controller and can also shut off power inside the house at the pier breaker.

Attachments

• DSC00581.jpg
    DSC00581.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 35
In my case, I padlock the lift controller and can also shut off power inside the house at the pier breaker.

Great looking boat. Now that's a fine covered lift. Have you considered venting the top of the roof?

If they stole your boat it could be the slowest chase since OJ.

Great looking boat. Now that's a fine covered lift. Have you considered venting the top of the roof?

Nope cuz I am not an idiot who starts fires with space heaters and other such dopey activities. Anyway, single boat shed doesn't really qualify. Right now, thanks to Hurricane Michael, there's a lot of venting. New roof going on when I get back from this delivery.

Your MS probably has two switches for each main engine. One switch at the helm(s) and one breaker on the main breaker panel. If you leave the main panel breaker off, it would take a smarter thief to figure out how to steal your boat.

Key fob

On my Volvo-Penta D 4 I have a fob that is zip tied behind the helm that controls the ignition switch. I turn on the ignition then push the start button to start the engine. Some people take the fob with them when they leave the boat for security.
Rodney

One can install a cutoff switch between the Engine switch on the DC Panel and the engine. The cutoff switch can be hidden where only you know. I got the idea from a cutoff switch I had in the glove compartment of an old car.

Be sure you and tell your mechanic! I heard of one who spent hours trying to trace why the engine wouldn't start!

-- Chris Barlow, Pathfinder, MS400
Pathfinder's Log - Trawler Cruising Blog

Some fool tried to steal a float plane here in Vancouver a few weeks back. Tore the wing off one plane and damaged another. Managed to get off the plane, back onto the dock, and they are still looking for the person. So anything can be a candidate for potential theft.

Having noted this I do not take my keys out of my ignition relying on other means to not have the engine able to start. BUT, if the individual is knowledgeable enough to by pass my system, they would be smart enough to jump the ignition switch.

How could anyone steal it if they can't find the key????
Seriously, I did the GL in a MS400T (7,000mi), cruised 6 years and 25,000 miles in a MS430PT, and currently own a MS43 Pilot. None of them have keys. Never had a problem with anyone trying to steal them. Don't worry, have fun!

Back
Top Bottom