Old 06-21-2020, 08:05 AM   #1

City: Delray Beach, FL and Denver, CO
Vessel Name: PartnerShip II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 400
No power to several breakers on AC panel

I have a 2003 MS 400. This boat is new to me and am still learning what and where everything is. I was using the 120 volt outlet in the main salon, switchable by a breaker on the panel. Worked fine.

Yesterday I turned it on and no indicator light and no power. I also noticed that there were 3 other breakers that had no power. All on the 120 panel.
A quick review of the wiring diagram showed they all came from the second leg of the 220 breaker.

I turned off the shore power and removed the panel for a look. I can see the second leg power coming from each 3 part breaker going to several other circuits. When I trace the circuit in question, all 4 circuits are wired together. The last one has a black wired that runs into the wire loom. No where else do any of these connect to a breaker on the power side. The other items on the 2nd leg are wired to the second leg eventually and work.

Leg 1 uses red wire, Leg 2 uses black wire and #3 leg (middle leg on each breaker) is the neutral and is white.
I turned on the shore power with the panel removed and tested power at all 3 legs. 120 from the middle (neutral) to leg 1 and leg 2. 220 across leg 1 and 2.
I also went to each 120 outlet to confirm the GFI had not tripped, although this would not cause my issue.
Again I can see a wire running from the breakers that don't work into the loom on the feed side.

I'm wondering where that wire goes and did I trip something. I've been doing regular maintenance and as mentioned this circuit DID work a couple of days ago.

One idea I had was to just run a wire from the 2nd leg to one of the non-working circuits. I'd have a marine electrician take a look and confirm my suggestion would work, but I'd like to figure this out. Any suggestions??
Newtrawlerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:19 AM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Do you have an inverter with an automatic transfer switch? What you're describing would indicate power could be leaving the main panel on another circuit, going to the inverter, and then returning to those breakers. My inverter circuits are wired in a similar manner.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:29 AM   #3
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Get your meter and check the line side of the dead breakers Trace back towards shore power until you find the missing voltage.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Do you have an inverter with an automatic transfer switch? What you're describing would indicate power could be leaving the main panel on another circuit, going to the inverter, and then returning to those breakers. My inverter circuits are wired in a similar manner.

Ted
Excellent suggestion. I'll take a look.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:55 AM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtrawlerowner View Post
Excellent suggestion. I'll take a look.
If the inverter appears to be functioning correctly and the breaker feeding the inverter from the main breaker panel is on, check the inverter itself. Almost all inverters have an output circuit breaker to protect the wiring from the inverter back to the breaker panel.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:57 AM   #6
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
What are the non functioning breakers labeled?
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:47 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
If I remember, on one of the Mainships, there’s a breaker by the transom, deck side, port side
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:54 PM   #8

Smile No power to several breakers on AC panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtrawlerowner View Post
I have a 2003 MS 400. This boat is new to me and am still learning what and where everything is. I was using the 120 volt outlet in the main salon, switchable by a breaker on the panel. Worked fine.

Yesterday I turned it on and no indicator light and no power. I also noticed that there were 3 other breakers that had no power. All on the 120 panel.
A quick review of the wiring diagram showed they all came from the second leg of the 220 breaker.

I turned off the shore power and removed the panel for a look. I can see the second leg power coming from each 3 part breaker going to several other circuits. When I trace the circuit in question, all 4 circuits are wired together. The last one has a black wired that runs into the wire loom. No where else do any of these connect to a breaker on the power side. The other items on the 2nd leg are wired to the second leg eventually and work.

Leg 1 uses red wire, Leg 2 uses black wire and #3 leg (middle leg on each breaker) is the neutral and is white.
I turned on the shore power with the panel removed and tested power at all 3 legs. 120 from the middle (neutral) to leg 1 and leg 2. 220 across leg 1 and 2.
I also went to each 120 outlet to confirm the GFI had not tripped, although this would not cause my issue.
Again I can see a wire running from the breakers that don't work into the loom on the feed side.

I'm wondering where that wire goes and did I trip something. I've been doing regular maintenance and as mentioned this circuit DID work a couple of days ago.

One idea I had was to just run a wire from the 2nd leg to one of the non-working circuits. I'd have a marine electrician take a look and confirm my suggestion would work, but I'd like to figure this out. Any suggestions??

Thanks all for the helpful suggestions. It turned out to be the inverter. I must have turned it off by mistake. As soon as I turned it back on, everything worked. I must admit I had to read the manual I have to fully understand how it worked. Much different than my sailboat. But fixed now. Thanks again!!!!!
Old 06-21-2020, 07:59 PM   #9
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Yay, TED!
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:31 PM   #10
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
That’s why I wanted to know what the labels on the breakers said. I suspected they had been rerouted to an inverter.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:41 AM   #11

No power to several breakers on AC panel. Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post

Ted
OC Diver
Your suggestion turned out to be the cause. I must have turned off the inverter by mistake. I turned it on and everything worked. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm assuming these items are fed through the inverter and as I studied what the breakers controlled, it made sense. All circuits with the exception of the microwave were low power feeds. I'm not so sure the inverter would power the microwave without damage. But problem solved.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:03 AM   #12
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Another good reason to put the inverter circuits on their own panel. In the meantime label them. What size and model is the inverter?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote