New Member with Old Mainship with questions on How the 34’ and 400 ride

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codder

Vessel Name
Summer Salt
Vessel Make
1978 Mainship Trawler 34'
Hello everyone from Cape Cod! My husband and I have a 1978 34’ Mainship Trawler that we have loved for 19 years now. The first thing we did after the first season was to upgrade the Perkins to a 315 Yanmar. Cruising at 8 knots was just too slow! We cruise at 12-15 now and have a bow thruster so we really enjoy the ride. Thinking of buying something newer and considering the Mainship 34’ and 400 trawlers. My question is on the ride. We have the issue with rolling from side to side especially in a following sea. Wondering if the newer models have addressed this issue or if it is still evident in these newer models year 2000 and newer. Our beam is 12’ and the newer models are 14 plus so hoping that helps some. Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks! Cait

Welcome to TF. However, in view of your specific request, I have taken the liberty of moving your thread to the Mainship sub-forum, so hopefully more will chime in who might be best able to answer your query. :flowers:

Hello everyone from Cape Cod! My husband and I have a 1978 34’ Mainship Trawler that we have loved for 19 years now. The first thing we did after the first season was to upgrade the Perkins to a 315 Yanmar. Cruising at 8 knots was just too slow! We cruise at 12-15 now and have a bow thruster so we really enjoy the ride. Thinking of buying something newer and considering the Mainship 34’ and 400 trawlers. My question is on the ride. We have the issue with rolling from side to side especially in a following sea. Wondering if the newer models have addressed this issue or if it is still evident in these newer models year 2000 and newer. Our beam is 12’ and the newer models are 14 plus so hoping that helps some. Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks! Cait

Welcome aboard. Most of our boats will struggle with a following sea unless they are a true full displacement hull. We just live with it and if it gets too bad we change course. It isn’t just an issue with Mainships.

Welcome aboard. I just sold my old 34. Sounds like yours is done up right, and there's a good market for well kept repowered boats.

I think for sure you'll find the boats you mentioned much more stable at rest. The beam makes a big difference. I can't speak to behaviour underway, but unruliness in following seas seems to be a common complaint with all of these boats. I can't imagine the newer boats rocking as much as your boat.

Dunno if this helps, but there are lots of owners of the newer boats here who may chime in. The boats seem generally pretty well regarded and popular.

I sold my MS400 because it was not really intended to be stable in rough seas. The 400 is great on the ICW and Rivers, but not great in the Gulf, Ocean or Great Lakes. I had some really scary rides in the boat and decided that it was too "tender" for me. It has a wide bow and is beamy. The combination makes it roll a lot. I purchased a Back Cove 37 instead and it is a seaworthy vessel that gives me and my passengers a safe feeling.

We have the issue with rolling from side to side especially in a following sea. Wondering if the newer models have addressed this issue or if it is still evident in these newer models year 2000 and newer. Our beam is 12’ and the newer models are 14 plus so hoping that helps some.

Nope. The 350; 390; 400; 34T are all going to behave about the same. They are going to roll and they are unforgiving in a following sea.

The combo of the wide transom and very pointy bow on those Mainships is unfortunately not ideal in a following sea. Makes it easy for the bow to dig in and there's lots of transom to push on. I'd expect the 430 to be better behaved in following seas, as the bow is much more full (it's more of a planing hull).

That said, more power will generally help behavior in following seas, as throttling up gives more rudder authority and also reduces the speed the waves pass you at, which means they don't push you around as much.

Appreciate the feedback. Since we haven’t decided on our next boat yet, what suggestions do you have for a more stable boat with a flybridge and a diesel. Talked to a Sabre dealer who said I will find the same situation in a following sea with their models as well. Boating in Buzzards Bay going to the Elizabeth Islands mostly.

Agree,

My 400 wallows in a following sea, it's just the way it is. For the most part, doing intercoastal crusing, the Loop, and similar, it's a great boat.

However, one has to be away of any boats limitations, and the Mainship is not a blue water boat so rough following seas will get you a heck of a lousy ride.

I had a 43' 3 SR Mainship. I remember needing seatbelts in rough water. Took it to the bahamas and was limited to traveling in only really flat days. Newer boat has stabilizers which make your travel days more abundant, but not unlimited.

Of the three boats that you mention, the original 34, the newer 34T and the mid newer 40/400 I think you will find that the 34T handles the worst (but not by a whole lot) due its lower beam to length ratio.

The original 34 has the highest beam to length ratio but the 40/400 is longer so both will handle about the same.

But I would not make my decision based on these small differences.

David

I sold the MS 400 and bought a Back Cove 37. It still wanders in a following sea at 10 kts, but at 15 kts., no worries. Great ride. Even the wife likes it. No fly bridge however.

We have a 2003 390. Years ago when we were bringing it home on a 300 mile run after purchase we had a heavy beam sea on the first day, a heavy sea on the bow on the second day and a following sea on the third day. I learned a lot about how the boat handled on that trip. Day one was the worst, day 2 was the best and day 3 right in between.
A good auto pilot set up right along with proper throttle setting will help a lot with a following sea.
John

Speaking for the 400 specifically, having the ability provided by twins to run at 13 to 15 knots makes a HUGE difference in following seas. It helps a lot in other conditions as well. My suspicion on the difference Jeffery sees between his Back Cove and his MS 400 is mainly a result of the greater speed and not the hull shape. I'm pretty sure his 400 was a single with a lower top speed than the Back Cove. He's comparing apples to oranges.

If you expect to travel in a LOT of following seas get a double ender. Otherwise just look for a large rudder and a round bottom at the stern.

pete

Back
Top Bottom