Old 06-01-2023, 11:48 AM   #1

City: Bayville, NJ
Vessel Name: Voyager
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
New Front Eisenglas Panels on Flybridge

We just replaced the three front facing Eisenglass panels on our 2002 MS390. The old panels were dull and hard to see through, the PO had thought that being rolled down over the years had contributed to the dullness, so we had the new panels open from the bottom instead of the top. Think Smile ( U ) not Frown. We then secured the bottom of the open panels to the first pole holding up the Bimini using rivets to secure the male snap and added female snaps the plastic straps I had added at bottom. At the time we had the new panels made up, the boat was shrink wrapped and I had no way of measuring how long the straps needed to be so I had them made up with a grommet at end. Once I was able to measure, I added plastic straps thru the grommets to which I placed the female snaps. It works great, out of the way (well above our heads), quick and easy to secure in the open position and hopefully will have a longer, clearer life

We cut out holes in the canvas around the male snaps so that the Bimini could be removed as normal, used crazy glue to the edges so it didn’t unravel. I bought the rivets from SailRite as they are smaller than the opening of the male rivets and when tightened they don’t expand the snap. But had to rig up something so that the rivet gun fully tightened the rivets since the rivets were not flush with the face of the snap. SailRite has a kit for this but I saved a few bucks and I cut the head off of one of the rivets and threaded in to the outside of the rivet which worked perfectly. If not done, the snap will not sit tight on the tube and will spin which in the future may allow the snap to loosen up.

If anyone wants more info, don’t hesitate to reach out
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0182.jpg   IMG_0176.jpg  
Lshulan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 11:56 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
That is similar to how we have done the front panels on our current boat and the previous boat. Works great.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 12:21 PM   #3
Guru

City: Middle River
I'm tall, and consequently had to bend over to see under the roll. Had a small shelf in front of the helm, reversed the center panel side zips. Center now rolls down. Side benefit- I can roll them up to leave only a 2"
" gunport" and stay dry in foul weather.
The fold backs work well, but in warm weather tend to sag & touch your head. Annoying, unless you're a dwarf
SIBERNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 01:38 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIBERNUT View Post
I'm tall, and consequently had to bend over to see under the roll. Had a small shelf in front of the helm, reversed the center panel side zips. Center now rolls down. Side benefit- I can roll them up to leave only a 2"
" gunport" and stay dry in foul weather.
The fold backs work well, but in warm weather tend to sag & touch your head. Annoying, unless you're a dwarf
I am 6’1” and my hinged up panels never hit my head on either of the boat that I have done this. Your bimini must be pretty low to begin with if you are hitting your head on them.
Old 06-01-2023, 06:43 PM   #5
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I like everything you have done. For others thinking of doing the same thing, look to using Makrolon instead of eisenglass

Eisenglass and Stratoglass are trade names for clear vinyl with a UV protective coating.
Makrolon is a trade name for polycarbonate with a UV protective coating.

Lexan is a trade name for polycarbonate with no protective coating.

Makrolon and Lexan have a much higher clarity than vinyl and Eisenglass.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:27 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

On our last boat we had the front panels made out of EZ2CY. I made the patterns and sent them to a fabricator and he made the front 7 panels. They fit nicely and the middle 3 hinged up. On our current boat we have a glass windshield and then Strataglass panels above the windshield that hinge up.