Old 03-16-2017, 09:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Stockbridge,Vt - Punta Gorda,Fla.
Vessel Name: Satori
Vessel Model: 1984 34 Mainship
Fuel Right Diesel Tank Treament

Ran across this stuff and considering trying it out in my two 35 year old aluminium fuel tanks.... have not had any problems fuel wise so far, but I'm sure there is crap sitting on the bottom after all these years. Anyone ACTUALLY USED this additive and what did you find?

Fuel Right
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:39 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
No experience with the product. Says it will dissolve everything in your tanks to where it will pass through your final engine filter (2 micron). Also makes the engine run better and last longer.

Sounds too good to be true.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:48 PM   #3

City: Fremantle
Vessel Name: Annie
Vessel Model: Clipper 34
I sourced a mobile fuel polisher from a local mechanic. Opened up the inspection ports, and like a vacuum sucked out all sorts of crap from my tanks. The fuel itself was polished and pumped back in through the inlet. It was unbelievable what I pulled out of my tanks.. Highly recommended!
mlaloli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:54 AM   #4
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
There are dozens of diesel fuel treatments out there and all claim to be the very best. How do you know which one to use or if you even need fuel treatment? If your engine is running fine now, you might not need to add anything at all.

On my boat, I have a statement from Volvo that came with the boat to the effect that Volvo doesn't recommend any fuel treatment but if you are not sure about low sulfur fuel, you can use one of these: (It lists two brands of fuel treatment).

That's a great example of how to talk out of both sides of your mouth at once.

One of the choices was Stanadyne so I bought some and have been using it ever since. I've had no fuel problems and no problems with elephants hanging around the boat. Would I have had problems with fuel or elephants if I hadn't used the Stanadyne? I have no way of knowing.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:30 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
As a general rule I don't use fuel additives, but when I do, it's what the manufacturer recommends at least till the end of the warranty. My John Deere dealer recommend this fuel treatment that's supposed to lubricate the injectors and the injector pump, that's made by .......John Deere. My philosophy is use all the recommended oils, antifreeze, fuel treatments, and consumable parts from and recommended by the dealer who would be handling any warranty claims. After the warranty period is up, decide what you want to do. I like my dealer to smile when he sees me coming, and hopefully remember the extra money I spend if there's a problem that should be covered under warranty.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:05 AM   #6
Guru

City: Sydney
I hear gun oil is the best
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Palma
PBO (Practical Boat Owner) mag. did a pretty thorough comparison test (10 or twelve different brands) a while ago - think itīs on their website.
Jonza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:42 AM   #8
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I think Caterpillars recommendation sounds like double talk but makes absolute sense.

The bulletin I read discussed that if your fuel met spec, additives aren't needed, if not, they are.

I am assuming like many manufacturers, Cat assumes most users are not going to be diligent in using fuel that meets spec. Therefore its ts recommendations SEEM confusing, but really aren't if you read closely.

Then they go on to talk about which additive TYPES, not brands to use if the fuel is out of spec.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote