Need advise on engine removal from Mainship 430

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did it in Mainship 43 3SR. Engine needed removal and braced floor of salon, the put A frame on it, hoisted engine up onto I-beam trolley, rolled it back towards removed sliding door, stuck boom of fork truck in then plucked engine out. Repeat in reverse.

Thanks, this is pretty much the current plan.
I'm building two A-frames out of 6x6 post and 2x6 braces.

About 12 years ago my starboard engine failed and needed to be replaced.
As my boat is a Mainship Pilot 43 I do have a larger engine hatch, however the process of getting the engine to the center for removal was a problem. You are correct in that you cannot just winch it up on an angle.

The yard built a temporary rail on which they were able to slide the entire
engine over and then remove. They used the same rail for the installation
of the replacement engine. (Yanmar 6LY2A-STP).

Enjoy!

I sometimes enjoy going back through older posts, especially ones I may have commented on to see what is happening with the O.P.

In re reading the O.P. I noticed the comment "My marina doesn't have any idea how to do it"

IMO, time for a new marina, or at least a new mechanic.

pete

Not all marinas are equipped to remove engines but they still may be a great marina.

I can only dream of being able to tackle a project like this. You guys are an impressive group.

I can only dream of being able to tackle a project like this. You guys are an impressive group.

It really isn’t that difficult. Just make sure the setup you use can handle the weight.

i'm in the great marina with friendly neighbors and good management, but my boat is one of the largest there (come to think of it, it's probably the largest), and they do not have experience with removing engines from such. Not the first time I have had to rely on my own willingness to have things done and the power of collective wisdom of this forum.

I already built two vertical frames out of 6"x6" posts with 2"x8" backing and 2"x6" supports for side stability. They will hold 3" wide and 8' long I-beam with a trolley and extra-long chain pulley on it.

This will get the engine up to the saloon floor (it will be reinforced by four 2"x4" members from the floor beams to the stringers on the bottom of the hull) and also move the engine to the middle of the back door.

I also built 2'x4' pallet for the engine to stay and transport once removed by putting it on 10" long 4"x4" posts under the engine legs.

The next thing I will have to do is to get that engine out of the cabin to the deck so the marina can pick it up with the equipment they have available and put it on the trailer.
I'm thinking of building a 2' wide horizontal ramp out of a few 2"x3"x8' that will be supported in the middle and on both ends by 4"x4" posts, and I will slide the engine sitting on its pallet using a pulley.

This way, I may clear my vertical limitation of 40": 28" for the engine + 4" for the pallet + 4" for the ramp, which I would not be able to do with a boom truck where boom and hook are much taller than 12".

I'll post photos when this will get assembled in the saloon.

It sounds like you have a good plan. That is pretty much how I pulled my engines in our last boat.

Pretty scary . Maybe a second opinion or different yard. Most shops use a series of frames and beams. Strip the motor down l to fit out the door. If not back wall needs to come out or go right up straight through the ceiling. I have even heard saw taking out the side of the hull to replace engines ( what a sight that was )

You said you have 29 and your engine is 28" plenty of room with 1/4 plywood on each side to protect from damage!!

I pulled dd 871s out of rear door with 1/4 " to spare with this method after stripping the engines down to the blocks. Worked fine. Used A frames and a beam to center the engines and a forklift with a long beam on it to lift and back out of the boat on land.

Again maybe another yard with more experience.

You have already done the hard stuff. Now get in the bilge and start unscrewing things. You will surprise yourself. The engine should be "hanging" in one day. One the dock the next day and at the rebuild shop the third day.

I am not exagerating.

pete

You have already done the hard stuff. Now get in the bilge and start unscrewing things.

Already done. Just 4 nuts on the engine mounts and up we go.

i removed everything from the engine except the transmission (the rear set of mounts is on it and i want to check it in more detail anyway) and the high-pressure fuel pump which is pretty small and not getting in a way of anything.
i put the head back on because it has the lifting brackets and I think, using the ramp method I will make the vertical clearance. If not, I'll take the head off after the engine is up in the saloon to give me extra few inches of vertical clearance, move it out of the door to the desk and put the head back on so the forklift can take it from the side.

All done

I want to thank you all for the tips and encouragement.
The engine is out of the boat and safely in the garage, getting taken apart.

If anyone needs more ideas on how to do this on a similar boat with aft cabin and small saloon hatch without enough vertical and horizontal clearances to have a boom track doing all the heavy lifting, here are some photos of our setup.

Attachments

• Reinforced saloon floor.jpg
    Reinforced saloon floor.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Gantry crane in the saloon.jpg
    Gantry crane in the saloon.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Engine raised to the saloon floor level.jpg
    Engine raised to the saloon floor level.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Engine moved to the side and put on the platform.jpg
    Engine moved to the side and put on the platform.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Platform with engine raised by two pulley to get it up to the i-beam.jpg
    Platform with engine raised by two pulley to get it up to the i-beam.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Engine is on the ramp.jpg
    Engine is on the ramp.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Engine is moved out of the saloon.jpg
    Engine is moved out of the saloon.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Engine is on aft desk.jpg
    Engine is on aft desk.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Picked up from aft deck.jpg
    Picked up from aft deck.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Engine is secured in the trailer.jpg
    Engine is secured in the trailer.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 21
Boom!
:dance:

Attachments

• On the engine crane.jpg
    On the engine crane.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 17
That is very similar to what I built on our last boat except that on the starboard side we only had 2” so I had to go with a 2” square steel tube instead of the wood support. Glad you got it out.

OK, one more post and I promise I will be done with this thread. I think we all realize there are many ways to pull an engine. Most of them not that difficult. Just do it..

But, take a minute to review three posts to this thread.First the one by Commadave, then the one by Waterant. Notice how substantial the lifting arch is in both cases. Heavy duty, well supported and probably able to lift three times the weight of the engine. Good jobs guys!

Now watch the video by Benthick2. He uses a harbor freight engine lift which is extended out pretty far, guess thats OK. No support under the floor and no plates to distribute the engine weight better. just the four tiny wheels. I guess it held the load. But what really concerns me was how close to the engine well the wheels on the engine lift were. Under that shag carpet you don't know what you have for support and the inertia of the engine just doing a minor swing could have easily pulled the whole contraption into the engine well. Possibly right through the hull, scary.

pete

Now watch the video by Benthick2. He uses a harbor freight engine lift which is extended out pretty far, guess thats OK. No support under the floor and no plates to distribute the engine weight better. just the four tiny wheels. I guess it held the load. But what really concerns me was how close to the engine well the wheels on the engine lift were. Under that shag carpet you don't know what you have for support and the inertia of the engine just doing a minor swing could have easily pulled the whole contraption into the engine well. Possibly right through the hull, scary.

I was watching his video like :eek:
in my head the TikTok song was playing over and over again: "Time to do some sketchy ****, ..., i hope to get away with it ..." - seems to be a perfect fit.

not sure if you saw another version of his video, they did drop the engine back down with this setup.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom