Old 06-24-2017, 12:04 PM   #1

City: Hyannis, MA
NexGen 5.0 Generator on 34Pilot.. Preheat question

Hi Guys.. I'm just getting familiar with my new ( to me) 2003 34 Pilot which came with the 5.0 NexGen generator. The owners manual mentions holding the preheat for 10-20 seconds and then start. There is no preheat button on the boat .One switch is on-off the other is start -stop. Is there a preferred method for starting this generator?
Thanks,
Jeff
34 Pilot 2003
M/V Jubilant
Cape Cod
Jeffg47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:54 PM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
A couple of us answered the question over on the Yahoo site. But just to explain in a bit more detail:

On my boat there is a vertical rocker switch for the genset. The upper position is labeled start and the lower position is labeled stop. Holding the stop position engages the glow plugs.

The on-off switch that you are referring to is probably the genset breaker. It is protected by a slide which keeps the shore power breaker being engaged at the same time and functions like a transfer switch.

When I start my genset, I always start it with that breaker off. I let it warm up for a few minutes and then turn it on with all other sub breakers off. Then I wait until the Freedom 20 control panel ramps up and starts charging the batteries. I let that load the engine a bit- as much as 10 amps AC if the batteries are down, before I add more significant loads like the stove or water heater. If you don't have a Freedom just let it warm up for 3-4 minutes before putting significant load on it, just like you would do with your propulsion engine.

BTW a great modification that looks great and only costs $300 is to replace that resistance element stove top with an induction top. Here is a link to Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The cooktop is more efficient than a resistance top and automatically splits the 15A incoming power between the two burners. On my resistance top it would trip the breaker if I turned both burners to high. You do have to use steel bottomed cookware, but no big deal on the boat.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 04:30 PM   #3
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
BTW a great modification that looks great and only costs $300 is to replace that resistance element stove top with an induction top. Here is a link to Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The cooktop is more efficient than a resistance top and automatically splits the 15A incoming power between the two burners. On my resistance top it would trip the breaker if I turned both burners to high. You do have to use steel bottomed cookware, but no big deal on the boat.
If you plan to get an induction cooktop, check the bottom of your cookware with a magnet. If the magnet sticks, it is good to go. Otherwise, you need a steel or iron bottomed replacement.

If you can get by with a single cooking element, there are portable induction cooktops for about $70 that use a 115v outlet. We got by with one in our dirt house for 3 months when we converted our kitchen from propane to electric and installed a new counter top. At the end of the 3 months I was asking myself why did I spend big bucks for a high end Kitchenaid cooktop when we could have used 2-3 of the portable induction cooktops just fine.