MS Pilot 34 - Dual engine access

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tuvix

Greeting all, wife and I are on the hunt for a MS Pilot to "slow down" the type of boating we do after years of center consoles and fishing boats. We're going to go see a 34 today with dual Yanmar 240's, each with around 1000 hours on them. I've always done most of the maintenance myself over the years and I'm a little concerned about accessing the outer sides of the engines based on the photos I have seen of the 34's...

I was set on finding a single engine model and just curious to hear some feedback from people with the dual engine 34 if I am overthinking this aspect or not? Are there additional hatches on the sides to access the motor or do you have to crawl down the outer side of the engine to access it?

I think I can live with the extra maintenance and fuel consumption in exchange for some redundancy and reduced draft... Anything else I should be considering?

GP

I looked at a twin Pilot 34 before buying a single. Decided it was too tight. You have to lay on the engines and reach over to work on outsides. I do all of my own maintenance myself.

Oddly the twin commands a few more bucks on the market. Must be non DIY owners.

David

Thank you David, I was able to look at both single and dual engine models, they both have their "difficulties" with access, the single engine being set back in comparison to the hatch, but certainly easier access to both sides of the engine.

Unfortunately that boat wasn't the one for us, we've got a couple more lined up to see this weekend. Wife's wishes it had more outside space... perhaps I need to look at the trawlers as well.

Thanks again and hopefully I'll be joining the MS family soon!

Cheers
GP

we have a p34 and when my daughter joins us in bi, yes, with chairs, a folding table, things do get tight in the cockpit. it's fine for 2.

sounds like you're wife is saying she wants a bigger boat. better to know that now.

If you are looking for more space, better ER access and not interested in flybridge keep an eye out for a Mainship 34HT.
We love ours and it has many advantages over the 34P IMO.
Unfortunately there weren't many made /sold but they do come on the market occasionally. The good news is transport is relatively easy if location is far away.

Wife's wishes it had more outside space... perhaps I need to look at the trawlers as well.

GP

If it is outside space you want then the P34 and the 34HT have about the same outside cockpit space. In fact almost all trawlers have about that much space in the outside cockpit- enough room for two folding chairs but seating four would be tight.

If it is inside main salon space you are after, the 34HT or its fly bridge sister the 34T can't be beat with its wide beam which makes for a very open salon which can easily accommodate four.

David

I’m not familiar w the boat but on my Willard a PO cut out more of the salon floor and one of the transverse floor beams (2X4) that extended engine access. Especially access to the trans and trans to prop shaft coupling.

Attachments

• STH71433 copy.jpg
    STH71433 copy.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
When we take off or roll up the isenglass Panels there is plenty of outside space for 4/6 as the cockpit becomes wide open. As to the engine access I felt the twins were tight. While I don’t do a lot of the work I do the basics and prefer less tight quarters. Good luck you will find the right boat

Thank you for all the feedback! This is certainly turning out to be a learning experience for us, YouTube is so misleading :) We don't see ourselves using the below-deck area for anything other than the occasional need to sleep overnight on longer trips, this is why we'd like something with more outdoor space. A flybridge might give us that open boat feeling we're used to but it seems like such a step up in size from what we had in mind... certainly need to go see one in person!

The hard top models are fantastic looking, certainly high on the wish list!

how many times a year do you anticipate more than you and your wife aboard? out of how many times on the boat?

how many times a year do you anticipate more than you and your wife aboard? out of how many times on the boat?

We have a couple guests join us 2-3 times a year for brief day trips, nothing more. The kids don't like boating :-( It's mostly the two of us.

We currently put about 100 hours a season on our boat, we'd use something like this even more. Our season is 4-5 months long at best.

i would buy the boat that is going to work for you 90% of the time and figure out how to get by the other 10%.

I have the MS400 with twin Yanmars and, yes, the outboard access to the engines is difficult. But, for the type of maintenance I do, it is workable. My arms aren't long enough to reach the starboard engine oil filter, but I plan on having the filter moved to a more accessible location.

The port engine water pump is tough to reach, you would most likely have to do it by feel unless you were really skinny, which I am not.

Most anything else is reachable that I would be messing with, and I like having twins for maneuverability and redundancy.

Why spend all that money and degrade your boat’s performance.

Just buy a single.

The Mainship 400's beam is 14', the Pilot 34's is 12.5'. That 1-1/2' makes a lot of difference in twin engine access. I have long said that the Mainship 34T with its beam of 14' the same as the 400 is the smallest boat I would have with twins.

David

The Mainship 400's beam is 14', the Pilot 34's is 12.5'. That 1-1/2' makes a lot of difference in twin engine access. I have long said that the Mainship 34T with its beam of 14' the same as the 400 is the smallest boat I would have with twins.

David

That's an excellent point. I "could" probably squeeze my way into the outboard areas to access the oil filter and the water pump, but I am afraid someone would have to yank me out by my legs if I got stuck.

On my 390 with twin yanmar 230s, the only problem I have is reaching the port heat exchanger to change the zincs. Can fit over the top of the tranny to reach it. Anyone have a good way to do it?

Tuvix,
Where do you plan on keeping your boat if and when?
We spend weekends on our 30 Pilot. 4 adults seems comfortable under way, 6 at the dock ok.
Considering moving up to a 34 .
I opt for the single.
Greg and Rosie

I have the MS400 with twin Yanmars and, yes, the outboard access to the engines is difficult. But, for the type of maintenance I do, it is workable. My arms aren't long enough to reach the starboard engine oil filter, but I plan on having the filter moved to a more accessible location.

The port engine water pump is tough to reach, you would most likely have to do it by feel unless you were really skinny, which I am not.

Most anything else is reachable that I would be messing with, and I like having twins for maneuverability and redundancy.

On my Lehmans the water pump is on the starboard side. I can almost see the water pump but not a good view. The POs mechanics said they usually had to pull the pump to replace the impeller. I found a tool that makes it doable. Impellertool.com is the website. After you remove the old impeller you lube the new impeller and slide it into the tool, essentially a sleeve machined with a funnel on it, and the tool slides easily into the pump. Then hold the impeller and pull the tool out. Very helpful. I am able to change the impeller in about 20 minutes. If memory serves me correctly I think it cost about $40. No affiliation.

Tuvix,
Where do you plan on keeping your boat if and when?
We spend weekends on our 30 Pilot. 4 adults seems comfortable under way, 6 at the dock ok.
Considering moving up to a 34 .
I opt for the single.
Greg and Rosie

We live near Philadelphia so we will be keeping it on the Delaware River. Wife and I drove twice to MD to look at a 30 Pilot and both times for one reason or another we weren't able to get on the boat and look inside... otherwise looks great in pictures, especially the MKII, it's certainly on our short list of boats!

The single engine 34 Pilot seems like an easy boat to work on!

We went with the Pilot 34 single vs dual for ease of maintenance and cost plus wife fell in love with the blue hull so...While I do not do the winterizing I do the zincs and can crawl around in there pretty well.

There is significantly more storage in a 34 vs a 30. 30 would be fine for a weekend but not a week plus there is more room for company.

We have guests stay over a couple of nights per year. In that case we deploy a double queen air mattress between the two bench seats (4 egg crates at the end for support). Works great and every one has plenty of room.

I must be the only person in the world that thinks access on a twin Pilot 34 is adequate. The center aisle provides easy access for dipsticks, transmission and coolant on both engines, as well as the stbd water pump, port oil filter, and over half of the zincs. You then crawl around the front of the engine to the outboard side to access the remaining maintenance items. Is it fun? No. But we are talking about once or twice a year items that require gymnastics. And this is from an over 60, over 6 foot, diy mechanic. Access to the generator on the twins is pretty good as well.

To each their own, but I prefer the extra knot or two at cruise speed, the foot less draft, redundancy and improved handling of the twins. To me the extra cost of another oil filter, oil, impeller and zincs and an hour or two of ER hot yoga per year is worth it..

As far as room on the P34, we find it works well for 2 on a week or more cruise, 4 friendly people for a weekend and 6 to 10 for an evening or day trip.

Good luck with your search.

If you are still looking this spring, you are welcome to check out our 30 MS Pilot. We would take you out for a ride.
Maybe we can convert you guys to salt water.
By the way we are PA folks as well.
Greg and Rosie

If you are still looking this spring, you are welcome to check out our 30 MS Pilot. We would take you out for a ride.
Maybe we can convert you guys to salt water.
By the way we are PA folks as well.
Greg and Rosie

That would be great! We love saltwater, bought a center console 4 years ago thinking we would do more trailering to saltwater than we really have time for. For the next 5-6 years we're stuck here and we'll get a lot more use out of something we can overnight in and explore the Delaware to Chesapeake Bay area in depth.

Wife is pushing for a bigger boat, need to keep her happy! :D

I am pushing my wife for a bigger boat, need to keep me happy.

She should spend some time with my wife :thumb: I walked her into a dealership a few years ago and within an hour she was sitting with the sales rep signing papers (I was still jumping from boat to boat like a little kid in a toy store...)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom