MS 400 Raw Water Pump Puzzle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptainEd

Vessel Name
Sanctuary / Misty
Vessel Make
58 Hatteras MY / 41 Hatteras Convertible
We're moving our new-to-us 2005 MS 400 to Stuart for hurricane season storage.

After a 12+ hour day 1 run, I was checking the ER for day 2 and found that three of the 6 screws holding the back plate on had lost their heads and the pump had sprayed water everywhere.

I'm thinking no problem, we need a spare pump anyway, so I'll just have one put on and have this one rebuilt...easy, right?

Here's the puzzle. There's a short 90 degree hose that runs from the heat exchanger to the top of the pump. It had original paint on it, so I figured better to change it now as access sucks to do it later. Given my engine model and serial number, the pump was ordered, but he couldn't find a part number for the hose. He sent me a photo of the factory parts diagram, and that isn't what's on this engine. That hose isn't in the book, rather two different fittings and a short straight run to connect them. I sent a photo over to the guy to show him what I had, and he said the end plate on the heat exchanger wasn't factory. Mine has a hose nipple that comes out straight, book shows a 90 coming out.

The little 90 deg. hose that was there is serviceable enough to get me to the yard, but I hate to put it back in knowing how difficult it will be to replace when it really needs it.

So my question is this: does anyone have a photo of their raw water pump setup they would be willing to share or take? I'll attach what I have. The engine is the Yanmar 6LYA-STP, 370hp. I'm curious if the engine in this boat was modified for some reason, or if the parts books are wrong.

I called the company that installed the engine - sticker on the bulkhead ID'd them, and they checked independently, finding the same parts listed that the first tech did.

Thanks in advance,

-Ed.

Attachments

• 2020-08-09 10.51.14.jpg
    2020-08-09 10.51.14.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 2020-08-09 10.55.22.jpg
    2020-08-09 10.55.22.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I had the Yanmar 370hp. This is the part# for the 90 degree hose that goes on the raw water pump. I changed the hose when I did the impeller. Google Yanmar 119574-49061 for a picture

Back
Top Bottom