MS 390 Couch Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawkshaw1

Vessel Make
Mainship 390
I have the original couch in my 2001 MS 390. It's a hideabed couch that's pretty heavy and a pain to move. It doesn't have "feet" and it sits flat on the sole. I am thinking of adding feet and maybe some sliders to make if easier to move so I can open and close the seacocks to the AC and the head (and sleep better).
I am somewhat reluctant because perhaps MS did it this way to keep it from sliding around in heavy seas AND it spreads the heavy weight over the entire frame and not just 4 "feet".
I may be overthinking this and if I am just say.

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Hawk

I replaced the original couch in our 390 with a Lazyboy recliner, which sits on six felt-cushioned feet. Very easy to move around, but needs to be secured in rough water. I have a
line under the couch secured to the floor at the outer edge, but easily accessible under the front. If I'm expecting heavy seas or wakes I move the hi-lo table, also on felt pads, up against the couch and secure both with the one line. Works like a charm.

I had no idea anyone made a motorized seacock. It's a little pricey but that's a great option.

I wonder why no one a Mainship thought putting the cocks on on side of the boat under one hatch.

Thanks,
Hawk

They sort of did that on the 34T's / HT's - No furniture needs to be moved.
Main Eng, A/C, Raw water, Gen all at bottom of step at engine access from aft deck.
Only ones forward are under the galley step hatch - head and macerator o'board discharge.

I raised the couch a few inches with some wood shims, but kept is screwed to the floor. It's much, much easier to get in and out of!

However, it's getting old and should be replaced. Pulling it will be an opportunity to refinish the floor. I haven't looked but expect there is another thread on the site that discusses floor finishing.

Given the seaway's I sometimes find myself in I don't want anything that heavy that isn't securely fastened down and not moving at all. (I lay the table on it's side when it gets that rough).

Has anyone found zero clearance recliners that work and can be fastened to the floor?

Last edited:
Those simple plastic furniture slider pads work well. They retain some friction

That is what we use. We don't have a motorized seacock, but I've always wanted one. We simply don't close the seacocks unless we're going to be away for a long period of time.

You might put some easy slides on the bottom of the couch. Then so it doesn’t move underway, bolt a couple of padeyes to the bulkhead, one on each end, so you can easily and quickly attach a ratchet strap around the couch. Then before getting underway just attach the strap around the couch and snug it up. It would take less than 2 minutes. Then the couch is easy to move when you need to move it and it will be secure when underway.

I have the original couch in my 2001 MS 390. It's a hideabed couch that's pretty heavy and a pain to move. It doesn't have "feet" and it sits flat on the sole. I am thinking of adding feet and maybe some sliders to make if easier to move so I can open and close the seacocks to the AC and the head (and sleep better).
I am somewhat reluctant because perhaps MS did it this way to keep it from sliding around in heavy seas AND it spreads the heavy weight over the entire frame and not just 4 "feet".
I may be overthinking this and if I am just say.

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Hawk
pulled the couch put in 2 recliners and swapped the big hatch over motor with small hatch in front of couch. access is now perfect to all through hulls transmission and bilge pumps.

Attachments

• 20180627_151152.jpg
    20180627_151152.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 21
The recliners will be way more comfortable than the couch. We put recliners in all of our big boats.

I added some sliders yesterday. We'll see.

I am also toying with cutting the hatch cover in half so I can easily access that seacock.

Thanks for all the great comments,

Hawk

I added some sliders yesterday. We'll see.

I am also toying with cutting the hatch cover in half so I can easily access that seacock.

Thanks for all the great comments,

Hawk
Just swap them and move the stringer stringer is just held in with #12 Wood screws, only down side is floor Holly does not line up exactly but it is under the table.

I have a couch in my 36 Mainship that has small dolly wheels and it doesn’t move. My boat is a 1988 and I think the couch is original. It is a hide a bed, and thus heavy. The dolly wheels have set in small indents over the years. It takes a small tug to get it moving and the couch does not move in rough water.
I have been in water rough enough the cabinets opened and things came out but the couch never moved.
John Hoeft

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom