Ms 350/390 radar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cold Duck

Vessel Name
Cold Duck
Vessel Make
MS 350 Trawler, 1997
Maybe someone can answer why MS put the radar on the flybridge? I know that's the preferred helm station, I use it most all the time. But, If Wx is so bad (foggy, cold, dark, rainy, etc) that I need the radar, I wanna be on the inside helm warming my bunns. I thought about setting up a second wire run to put a second display in the salon helm and be able to switch between the two or just move the display from the flybridge to salon, but haven't got it worked out yet. Am I the only one who wants to be inside when cold, foggy, windy to use the radar? Any suggestions short of installing a second radar?

Now I know that a lot of MS350/390s have totally enclosed upper helms. In Calif Delta/SF Bay, we want open air on flybridge 90% of the time. Use of radar is night when temps go down to the 50/60s (I know, a lot of you guys will call us wimps) or fog so thick you can't see end of boat. (Remember, Mark Twain said the "Coldest winter he ever experienced was a Summer in San Francisco"). That fog can cut through anything LOL.

The radar on my Mariner 37 is on the bridge as well. Doesn't add up. You are definitely on the right track.

If you have MFDs on a network then you can get the radar data on either station. But if it is a standalone radar then it is a PITA.

Electronics aren't typically installed by teh manufacturer. That is usually a Dealer or 3rd party install.

The PO chose to install the electronics at the upper helm only since they decided that it would be rare to be travelling in bad weather.

That being said, install a display at the lower helm. I installed a Raymarine 12" at the upper and installed a 9" at the lower I hung the trunnion bracket from the ceiling.

You'll need a network switch to be able to route depth and radar to both displays. It's not really that big of a deal. I did the entire install, including fishing cables in a weekend.

I recently installed a new electronics package on my boat. I add redundancy at the lower helm for all of the reasons you just stated. We took our boat out several times this past winter and enjoyed driving from the cabin.
I also like having the screens and autopilot in the cabin when we are entertaining and I leave the flybridge to get something from the cabin, I can see the screen and make adjustments from the lower helm.
The screen is smaller in the cabin.

24040-albums1089-picture7702.jpeg

Hawk

I am new to MS, but have been boating in the Pacific NW for some time. IMHO I prefer having the radar display on the "command bridge" since it's most often not in a hard enclosure, thus giving me both the best visibility and ability to hear the fog horns of others.
For me, piloting in the fog even with GPS and radar is not a relaxing task, so being comfortable in the lower helm would only provide me a false sense of security.

As was previously noted, that was a decision made by the original owner and/or dealer - Not Mainship. (Though I don’t have a lot of kind words for Mainship engineers :rolleyes: ) Mine had 2 Raymarine displays on the flybridge, and one at the lower helm. I could see whatever I wanted on all three. That said, I can count on one hand the number of times I helmed from below. The view from the (fully enclosed) flybridge is unbeatable, and just as important was the decrease in noise. It was NOISY at the lower helm unless you were putting about at very low RPM’s.

As was previously noted, that was a decision made by the original owner and/or dealer - Not Mainship. (Though I don’t have a lot of kind words for Mainship engineers :rolleyes: ) Mine had 2 Raymarine displays on the flybridge, and one at the lower helm. I could see whatever I wanted on all three. That said, I can count on one hand the number of times I helmed from below. The view from the (fully enclosed) flybridge is unbeatable, and just as important was the decrease in noise. It was NOISY at the lower helm unless you were putting about at very low RPM’s.

My boat is so slow I always feel like I am putting about, regardless of the RPMs.

you don't mention the make of electronics. we have raymarine and i believe seatalk provides all data (radar included) to each seatalk listener.

you don't mention the make of electronics. we have raymarine and i believe seatalk provides all data (radar included) to each seatalk listener.

I have Raymarine electronics. 12" (e127) at the upper and 9" (e97) at the lower. I have P70r head units at both helms as well. I have an AIS receiver built into my Simrad VHF at the lower helm. I only have a single Navionics chip installed into the lower MFD.

I get Radar, Depth, and AIS on both upper and lower MFD's. I also get all my courses and tracks at both locations. I could technically control AP directly through the MFD's, but prefer to use the head control units instead.

Unfortunately we have an old LRC 1000 so Sealink not feasible. I don't know, I have left SF bay area in early AM (dark) and the lower helm is nice and warm compared to a brisk 15 kt breeze and 50s temp on the flybridge. Call me a wimp, but a nice cupa in hand in T shirt is better than flybridge and foul Wx jacket with teeth chattering (been there too). You know what Mark Twain said," Coldest winter he ever experienced was a summer in SF"! I should state we do not have a fully enclosed flybridge since most boating is summer in the Delta (read that as 100+ degrees) most of the time so just screened in.

I always operate from the pilot house the flybridge is just for drinks at the end of the day, and backing down into a slip.

Actually, I only really use the radar maybe 1 or 2 times a year when we go downbay to SF Bay. Don't boat in the winter as I am over in Hawaii boating with much smaller vessels. I need to turn on and use radar in bright sunlight a few times a month just to exercise it. So, adding new equipment is not really cost effective. I am thinking of setting up the radar screen and using a cheap CCTV system to display the radar in the salon. I should say I am a retired electronics engineer so a stupid solution like this becomes a challenge. Was just hoping there was a neat, cheap solution that someone has already come up with to solve the problem.

I only really use the radar maybe 1 or 2 times a year

I have my radar overlay my GPS. I run it all the time. Once you're in a situation where you're operating in limited visibility it is more comforting to be very familiar with the your display site image as opposed to reality.

No question that what a radar shows bears little resemblance to what's out there especially on marshes, rivers with turns, tributaries, etc. Not saying I haven't used radar a lot, just now my operations are more fair weather ops. Old radar keeps working, only so many hours left in the magnetron. You know old systems, once they go you can't get parts for them anymore. Hate to spend $$$ for new system when I don't have to :)

Cold Duck
got your message on cable access from lower helm to flybridge using a hole you placed behind the starboard bench seat. If you get a chance could you send me a picture. I need to run my cables for radar, anchor light, TV and search light to a new radar arch. My access will be behind thr starboard bench.
cheers
JT

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom