MK1 Colors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABL

Hi Guys, I'm sure there is some information somewhere on the colors of the vintage Manships but I can't find it. :banghead: I'd like to match the color on my "off white" vintage 1980 MK1. Does anyone know the right color paint? Thank you very much!

Have no idea about Mainships but I just took a part off the boat and the paint shop matched it. Depending on paint they may be able to color match it.

It's going to be hard to match the current color on your model1 Mainship since you're trying to match a paint to 35-40 year old gelcoat. We ended up using Interlux Perfection off white. It seems as close to the original color of the boat as anything but it really didn't matter since we've repainted the entire topsides so there was nothing to "match".
The hull of our model1 is due for a new paint job but I haven't mustered up the gumption for that project yet.

My cruising buddy had a 80 model 1 and he would mix his own to get the match.
I know he used yellow and brown pigment to get it right.

My 78 model 1 was white but not pure white. When I had to match mine I went to LBI on Groton, Ct where I bought all my fiberglass supplies. They gave me some tips to get me started but the best one was that you want uncured gelcoat to be about 1/2 shade lighter because it will darken when cured.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Guys! I figured it wasn’t going to be easy!!

Back
Top Bottom