Old 09-28-2021, 06:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: South Easton
Mark 1 HIN location

So I am running into issues with my hin number and wondering where the 2nd hin number is located? Has anyone found it? Currently the Hin starts with MCP and Mainship is normally MPC .
Doodie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:53 AM   #2
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
What "second" HIN location?

Far as I remember, ours (Mk III) from the factory was inlaid on the transom. MPC3341....

-Chris
Old 09-28-2021, 08:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

My Hin is very clear on the transom but it appears to be a mistake. Everything I have for documents have MPC... but the transom has MCP... it looks original and not altered. Boats should have it embedded in two places . one is easily viewed and second is hidden. I just don't know where.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:40 AM   #4
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
The rules changed over time. What year is your vessel. I am surprised that no one noticed this discrepancy at time of purchase.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
The rules changed over time. What year is your vessel. I am surprised that no one noticed this discrepancy at time of purchase.
I was surprised too. It's a 1979 mark 1
Old 09-28-2021, 10:00 AM   #6
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: YellowBird
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34
There's quite literally nowhere that I haven't been or at least stuck my head in and looked around on our 34. I haven't noticed any hull identification numbers in a 2nd location. Then again, I wasn't looking for one either, so I'm not ruling it out. The one on the transom of ours was permanently molded into the hull in the first layup of gelcoat. There's obviously not another number on the outside of the hull so if they were going to place a 2nd number on the hull, it would have to be on the final layup of glass which would be somewhere on the inside. Mainship painted a lot of the interior areas so it wouldn't be logical for them to place a 2nd number on the hull and then paint over it. I would guess the unpainted areas would be a good place to start but I kind of doubt there's another number anywhere.
If you find it, be sue to let us know!
Also, somewhere on the internet is a Mainship registry with I believe the hull numbers. The yahoo site used to have it but the last place I've seen it was on the mainship group on facebook. It might help you.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Its usually a hidden environment. My sea ray was under seat cushions
Old 09-28-2021, 11:35 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
There is supposed to be a second hidden location for a HIN. That way if the boat is stolen LE can call the manufacturer and get the location to verify the real HIN. Unfortunately Mainship is gone so there isnít anyone to call, but they arenít supposed to give out the second location unless you are LE. I found it on a Carver that I used to own under one of the engines when I pulled the engines out.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 12:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If its under the engine then it's not happening. I will check a few places but I was hoping for under a clear or rug etc.
Old 09-28-2021, 01:18 PM   #10
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodie99 View Post
My Hin is very clear on the transom but it appears to be a mistake. Everything I have for documents have MPC... but the transom has MCP... it looks original and not altered. Boats should have it embedded in two places . one is easily viewed and second is hidden. I just don't know where.

Interesting. Didn't know that. Thought that hidden location thing was only about the Official Number if documented.

-Chris
Old 09-28-2021, 02:47 PM   #11
TF Site Team

No the documentation number and the hidden HIN are 2 completely different things and have nothing to do with each other. The hidden HIN is there for stolen boats to help identify them. But the system maybe falls down when the manufacturer goes out of business so they canít tell LE where to look for it. Unless there is some clearing house for that data, donít know if there is or not.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:02 PM   #12
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Model: Back in the market looking
Quote:
If its under the engine then it's not happening. I will check a few places but I was hoping for under a clear or rug etc.
If it ever becomes necessary or just helpful to look beneath the engine, or behind a tank, etc. USB "snake" style endoscope / boroscopes have become ridiculously cheap, at Home Depot or online.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:35 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
I didn't see any markings anywhere in the engine area while our engine was out & I was tidying up.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:31 PM   #14

City: Solomons MD.
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
Try putting the HIN you have in here and see what comes up...

https://www.marinetitle.com/library/...on-number.aspx
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solly View Post
Try putting the HIN you have in here and see what comes up...

https://www.marinetitle.com/library/...on-number.aspx
Unfortunately nothing.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:51 PM   #16
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
I didn't see any markings anywhere in the engine area while our engine was out & I was tidying up.
It doesnít necessarily live under the engine, it is wherever the manufacturer decided to put it. As long as it was hidden it is probably legal. I just found one on a previous boat and it was under the engine, but it doesnít have to be under the engine.
Old 09-28-2021, 05:12 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
It doesnít necessarily live under the engine, it is wherever the manufacturer decided to put it. As long as it was hidden it is probably legal. I just found one on a previous boat and it was under the engine, but it doesnít have to be under the engine.
I understand. I was just letting the OP know that there was no number in that area on our boat, which is the same make & model as his.
Old 09-28-2021, 06:51 PM   #18

City: New Smyrna Beach, Fl. & Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Salty Dog & Last Dragon
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster & Mainship 34 MK 1
Quote:
The number on the transom is by definition the hull number. Suspect the documentation was in error at some point and has been carried forward. Have owned boats for 50 years and have never heard of a second hidden hull number. Maybe a few manufacturers do it, but not prevalent. Once again, the number on the transom may have been a typo originally, but it is your hull number by definition.
Jc180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:13 PM   #19
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Yes there is a duplicate but I have never found any on three boats. This from WA state...
"Two identical hull identifcation numbers are required to be displayed on each boat hull. The characters of each hull identifcation number must be no less than 1/4 inch high.
Each hull identifcation number must be carved, burned, stamped, embossed, molded, bonded, or otherwise permanently affxed to the boat so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious. If the number is on a separate plate, the plate must be fastened in such a manner that its removal would normally cause some scarring of or damage to the surrounding hull area. A hull identifcation number must not be attached to parts of the boat that are removable.
A. The primary hull identifcation number must be affxed as follows:
ē.....
B. The duplicate hull identifcation number must be affxed in an unexposed location on the interior of the boat or beneath a ftting or item of hardware."
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:32 PM   #20
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jc180 View Post
The number on the transom is by definition the hull number. Suspect the documentation was in error at some point and has been carried forward. Have owned boats for 50 years and have never heard of a second hidden hull number. Maybe a few manufacturers do it, but not prevalent. Once again, the number on the transom may have been a typo originally, but it is your hull number by definition.
Per 33 CFR Part 181

181.29 Hull Identification Number Display
ō Two identical HINs are required to be displayed on each boat hull
ß The primary HIN must be affixed in accordance with ß181.29
ß The duplicate HIN must be affixed in an unexposed location on the interior of the boat or beneath a fitting or item of hardware
ß This duplicate HIN has been required since the 1984 regulatory update to HIN formats, and may be used to replicate the primary HIN in the case that the primary HIN is missing. Contact CG-BSX-23 for more information.