Manned Up & took her out myself!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
This past weekend I was not going to just sit at the dock and wish I was at anchor yet again... however I was hesitant with the boat being so big (to me) to go out myself. Wife didn't want to go but I did.

I love finding a quiet protected anchorage and just enjoying the moment. Thats why I bought the dang thing.

So I set everything up for single handing it and untied the lines, This MS400, as with all others I assume, all the anchor controls on the FB, as well as the interior helm. I had installed a hand-held windlass remote at the bow and wanted to try it out.

All went well, dropped the hook from the FB, slowly backed her up as I paid out the chain....set the anchor alarm and relaxed...There were actually 4 other boats at my not-so-secret anchorage self quarantined but there was plenty of room...

Had a nice sundowner and then dinner, good quiet nights sleep, no genset running or fans, temp was perfect.

Pulling up the hook was a little concerning cause the wind had picked up and was around 20kts......but i got it pulled up but left it almost over the roller full of mud and told myself that when I got in the clear with the pilot on I could rinse it and pin it in..

There were lots of people at the docks having drinks and I actually got an applause from friends when I backed her in the slip and didnt kill anybody or smash anybody's boat...

Having both a bow and stern thruster makes this almost a no brainer but i am glad i did it...building my confidence in small steps..

Jeff in Savannah

Attachments

• IMG_20200417_192232597_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200417_192232597_HDR.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 93
Good job and congrats on your first solo trip. I'm guessing they grew a bit bigger when you got her safely backed into the slip. Way to go!

Good for you Jeff! Nice photo!! - Art

I am pretty good at making a dock. Usually wind and current don't have any effect on my landings.

Once I was making a pretty tricky landing, everything was going according to plan, the boat was very nearly where I wanted it. I hit the bow thruster for a second to pull the bow in. Perfect landing.

While I was tying up a dock watcher said to me. "You cheated, you used the bow thruster".

Here is the deal. The Admirals knees are not the best and it takes her a minute to get off the boat, tie the stern down and make her way to the bow. I certainly don't consider it cheating to hold the bow steady with the thruster while she takes care of business.

Not looking for applause, just looking to make a smooth, safe landing.

pete

I really wish the TF had a like button.

Well done!
There is always a bit of extra adrenaline flowing during docking in trying conditions but if you're prepared, it usually goes ok.

I still occasionally mess up my docking attempt when single handling with a stiff breeze blowing. Often enough that I no longer get embarrassed about having to abort the attempt and have another go at it.

This past weekend I was not going to just sit at the dock and wish I was at anchor yet again... however I was hesitant with the boat being so big (to me) to go out myself. Wife didn't want to go but I did.

I love finding a quiet protected anchorage and just enjoying the moment. Thats why I bought the dang thing.

So I set everything up for single handing it and untied the lines, This MS400, as with all others I assume, all the anchor controls on the FB, as well as the interior helm. I had installed a hand-held windlass remote at the bow and wanted to try it out.

All went well, dropped the hook from the FB, slowly backed her up as I paid out the chain....set the anchor alarm and relaxed...There were actually 4 other boats at my not-so-secret anchorage self quarantined but there was plenty of room...

Had a nice sundowner and then dinner, good quiet nights sleep, no genset running or fans, temp was perfect.

Pulling up the hook was a little concerning cause the wind had picked up and was around 20kts......but i got it pulled up but left it almost over the roller full of mud and told myself that when I got in the clear with the pilot on I could rinse it and pin it in..

There were lots of people at the docks having drinks and I actually got an applause from friends when I backed her in the slip and didnt kill anybody or smash anybody's boat...

Having both a bow and stern thruster makes this almost a no brainer but i am glad i did it...building my confidence in small steps..

Jeff in Savannah

Awesome job! Now just do it more often. You will make mistakes but that’s how you learn. Makes you feel really good when you make a trip like that! :dance:

Nicely done!

You aren't less of a person for using your thrusters as I know you are aware. At least you are taking your boat out which the majority of cruisers aren't doing, and I'm not talking about the ones who can't leave because of regulations.

Where I am on Vancouver Island, my local marina (not where I dock) is busy but almost no cruisers go out except some small smattering of sailboaters. The rest of the boaters are primarily sports fishers and commercial fishers. And we have had incredible weather the last two weeks, blue skies and not much wretched winds.

I would have replied to that guy: "Yeah the thrusters allow me to come and go solo. How come you're not out?"

Every chance you get, unapologetically use the bow thruster with gusto. "I am not a purist". It's the job, not the man.

IMO - Any feature that makes handling a boat easier and safer is A-OK!

To be able to dock with single screw direct drive is a great skill to have

To be able to dock with twin screw direct drive is easier than single screw but also great skill

To be able to dock with any number of screws and any number of thrusters is also a skill for sure

Nothing wrong at all with utilizing all and any boat handling simplification apparatus!

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be worried about using the thrusters as much as needed. I lean on my bow thruster early and often when I have to. It’s how I steer when backing down.

I wouldn’t be worried about using the thrusters as much as needed. I lean on my bow thruster early and often when I have to. It’s how I steer when backing down.
It's also how I steer going forward at idle. (Not enough water going over the smallish spade rudders to control the heading.) Sure, I could shift one engine or the other in & out of gear but the thruster is much faster. Theoretically, the transmissions will fail at some point in their lives. 100 shifts, 1000, 10000? No one knows but I don't intend to use up, whatever the number is by maneuvering in the marina. :blush:

Attachments

• thruster.jpg
    thruster.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 44
I have seen my fair share of boats go to waste because the owner became fearful of docking.

Whatever it takes to enjoy the boat is what is important.

Pride is quickly overshadowed.....by real things.

Way to go Jeff! If only we could go out in MD!

As someone who single hands with a single screw and rudder, a full keel, and no bow thruster... It ain't all glory and reward. A lot of the time It's a pain in the arse, and I've looked like a jerk on several occasions. I absolutely plan to install a thruster at some point, and I absolutely plan to get my money's worth out of it when I do!

Good on ya for getting out there, ol' bean!

Well done!
I still occasionally mess up my docking attempt when single handling with a stiff breeze blowing. Often enough that I no longer get embarrassed about having to abort the attempt and have another go at it.

I have a simple philosophy on this subject. “Those that dock yet turn away shall live to dock another day.” I have, on one occasion returning home, made five attempts before nailing it on a sixth. Strong crosswinds, bit of a tidal current, backing in - did I care? Yes - about the boat, not about what some lookey-loo might be thinking. I’ve had my fair share of “nailed it on the first attempt” landings in difficult situations so a few do-overs certainly trump an “oops”. (No thrusters installed)

We launched ours today. Had a bit of a waterfall coming out of the stuffing box that I rebuilt this winter. GFO says run it 5 to 10 hours before tightening it. Well I did tighten it up a little to turn the waterfall into a drip. Had fun docking since we have had almost 2” of rain the last 2 days so the river was cranking and took me downstream much faster than I expected. But made do and am very happy to have the boat sitting behind the house rather than in the barn.

I am pretty good at making a dock. Usually wind and current don't have any effect on my landings.

Once I was making a pretty tricky landing, everything was going according to plan, the boat was very nearly where I wanted it. I hit the bow thruster for a second to pull the bow in. Perfect landing.

While I was tying up a dock watcher said to me. "You cheated, you used the bow thruster".

Here is the deal. The Admirals knees are not the best and it takes her a minute to get off the boat, tie the stern down and make her way to the bow. I certainly don't consider it cheating to hold the bow steady with the thruster while she takes care of business.

Not looking for applause, just looking to make a smooth, safe landing.

pete

Dude,

In flying, they teach you to use all available resources for a safe flight. The same applies to boating. If you have bow, stern, and midship thrusters, use them, and don't apologize to anyone!

Dude,

In flying, they teach you to use all available resources for a safe flight. The same applies to boating. If you have bow, stern, and midship thrusters, use them, and don't apologize to anyone!

Don't apologize more than drivers of twin-engine boats do.

Took me two years to get everything right and the guts to take my 28' Owen's out solo. Did so in 1987. Been doing it ever since. No big head, no showing off, just relax and enjoy. Congratulations .

I have a simple philosophy on this subject. “Those that dock yet turn away shall live to dock another day.” I have, on one occasion returning home, made five attempts before nailing it on a sixth. Strong crosswinds, bit of a tidal current, backing in - did I care? Yes - about the boat, not about what some lookey-loo might be thinking. I’ve had my fair share of “nailed it on the first attempt” landings in difficult situations so a few do-overs certainly trump an “oops”. (No thrusters installed)

It took me four attempts to get into my dock yesterday morning with the big boat. We didn't break anything, so it was a success as far as I'm concerned.

We launched ours today. Had a bit of a waterfall coming out of the stuffing box that I rebuilt this winter. GFO says run it 5 to 10 hours before tightening it. Well I did tighten it up a little to turn the waterfall into a drip. Had fun docking since we have had almost 2” of rain the last 2 days so the river was cranking and took me downstream much faster than I expected. But made do and am very happy to have the boat sitting behind the house rather than in the barn.

Happy Splash Day! I was enjoying the current in the Saginaw River yesterday. See the above comment.

Don't sweat the critical eyes you feel you might be receiving, most of those eyes belong to folks who don't take their boat out much anyway. What do they know.

Back
Top Bottom