Mainships Rule 2002 Florida Fling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone remember these?

:socool:

Attachments

• Mainships Rule.JPG
    Mainships Rule.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 45
Anyone remember these?

I remember those!

Back in the 90's when we had a 1981 Mainship 34, I was a moderator on the Mainship forum. One of the other moderators started the "Mainship Rule" forum and it ran concurrent with the original.

Both forums were dedicated to the original Nantucat 34 and 40 foot models since that's all that was produced up to that time. I forgot why the second forum was started.

The new Mainship Company had started producing the 35 around that time also and began becoming involved in the forums and rendezvous.

We sold the Mainship "Trombo" and purchased Sandpiper in 2000 and I wandered away from the forums.

Are either forums still active? I Googled and had no hits.

I remember those!
Are either forums still active? I Googled and had no hits.

The Yahoo site is still active, but the site itself is very clunky and limits use for me. There are a few members from the former groups here now, I believe Jay Leonard was a founder of the Mainships Rule ! group, he now owns an Albin.

I attended 2 of these in St Augustine and 1 in Savannah to tour the Midway GA plant where the Pilots were built. I remember the presentations, the company bought dinner and hosted a factory tour, and as I remember refreshing beverages were available.

Mainship plant ( Formerly Luhrs) Long gone in St Augustine. Torn down and is the site of the new St Augustine Shipyard, an inside storage rack facility with some marine related businesses in the facility.

The new Mainship Company had a large advertising and promotional budget. When the new Mainship company started up, they gave us logo jackets, shirts, bags etc for raffle prizes at the rendzevous. When the 35 was introduced, they started paying for catered dinners and beverages. One was brought to a rendezvous, Sidney BC maybe, by a dealer and factory reps flew in for a big presentation. The Mainship people were really disappointed that not a single one of the 34 owners whipped out the check book. There were over 20 boats and at least 50 people attended. The broker told me after the rendezevous that the factory people had anticipated taking orders for 4 boats at the event.

Mainship had assumed that the 34 owners would want to trade in their 10 plus year old Mainships for a new modernized version with all the improvements and convenience features. They had'nt anticipated the popularity of the older models until attending rendezevous around the country.

Last edited:
Of course I remember those!
We actually started the "Mainships Rule" saying while at a Mainship/Silverton/Lurhs rendezvous in Essex, Ct.
We also have 2 Mainship banners.
We attended the gatherings in St Augustine and Charleston, and the corporate sponsored rendezvous in Essex and Newport.
Fond memories for sure.

I'll try to find and post a pic of our 29 Mainship raftup we had in Sag Harbor..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom