Mainship34 Model1 (major) repairs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boomerang

Guru
Vessel Name
Wandering Star
Vessel Make
PSN40
Hello All,
Last year we found & purchased our 34 Mainship M1. We knew we wanted a trawler-style boat & were leaning towards a single engine one. We looked at several all-out trawlers from 32' to 42' but since we both still have full-time careers we wanted to keep the routine maintenance to a minimum (i.e. teak brightwork) and have a low upkeep boat we could jump into & go places instead of staying at the dock varnishing decks & window frames.
Mechanically, this boat was very sound, having just had the propeller shaft ,cutlass & support bearing replaced, engine mount brackets replaced, steering & other major systems upgraded. The main thing it needed repaired was the same ailment almost every other 34 motor cruiser of it's vintage has had or will have, the flybridge floor & the saloon door. Thankfully, the cockpit is in good shape so that's one less thing for us to do.
So, after finding & studying all of the information we could find on the how-to's of MS34 M1 repairs from this site, Mainship34.com & the Yahoo groups forum, we used the boat last fall & hauled it this spring to pull the trigger & get to work. Sometimes , after a day of intensive work with seemingly little progress made & the light barely seen at the end of the tunnel, I have to wonder if my lovely, hard-working wife doesn't think about pulling another trigger with the barrel aimed at me for talking her into this project.
Anyway, for those interested, here's a link to the blog Liz is doing on our work & in the future , our cruising.

Boating With Shawn and Liz

Greetings,
Mr. b. Whew. Makes me achy and tired just reading about your repair(s). Sounds like your Admiral is a "keeper". I'm attached to one of those as well. Good stuff.

Rest assured we, and I'm sure many of the TF members, are figuratively in pretty well the same boat. While the tasks on the ever present and growing "to do" list may seem daunting, once finished, there is a REAL sense of accomplishment with a job well done PLUS an intimacy you both will share with your "water mistress" that is both frustrating and rewarding.

IF you ever run out of work, we happen to have a few things that need doing....Just sayin'

Congratulations on splashing Yellow Bird. I hope you will keep up your wonderful blog as you start cruising. Good blog adds value to your boat, and to boating.

Thanks for sharing ,been following from the start. The bridge and gunnels were redone prior to our purchase and after watching your detailed repair I'm EXTRA thankful. We plan to visit Reedville and Jennings boatyard next season, we may see Yellow Bird in person. David

Back
Top Bottom