Mainship with twin yanmars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiz

Mainship 350 with twin yanmars. Are these decent engines?

Do mainship of that vintage have fuel tank corrosion issues? I don’t want a twin engine boat that needs tanks redone.

Please any quick info would help. Not sure it’s worth going to look at.

—Kevin

Most of the Yanmars are good engines, which model are you referring to. Aluminum tanks of that vintage generally should be in decent condition but it depends on how they were taken care of. Same with individual boats. Twins in that boat will be a bit tight for maintenance.

Thanks. These are the 230 hp. Not sure about turbos. Yes not really a fan of twin engine. Would rather have the single Cummins or possibly yanmar.

Inventory is so low - we have looked all summer and only found junk. Getting frustrated.

—Kevin

Yes, we sold our last boat and wanted something smaller and with gas engines since there are no marine diesel mechanics in our area. I wanted someone else maintaining the engines. We tried to buy a 34’ Formula, failed survey. We tried to buy a 36’ Formula, dealer sold it behind our backs. We finally ended up with a 41’ Formula. Slightly larger than our previous boat and with diesels that are twice as large as the last boat. There wasn’t another boat in the Great Lakes area that we had any interest in. Like you said short inventory. Well, good luck.

Yes, the Yanmars are decent engines. I've had 3 (but bigger) so far and bullet proof.
The only issue in that boat is the engine room is tight, so you'll have to squeeze around the engines to maintain them.
Economy is the same as the single, excepting engine maintenance which is small potatoes. And you'll love the maneuverability.

Yes, the Yanmars are decent engines. I've had 3 (but bigger) so far and bullet proof.
The only issue in that boat is the engine room is tight, so you'll have to squeeze around the engines to maintain them.
Economy is the same as the single, excepting engine maintenance which is small potatoes. And you'll love the maneuverability.

:thumb: Although the extra engine maintenance isn't small potatoes in my book.

David

Yes, I’m probably not going twins. Just evaluating options.

Thanks all.

—Kevin

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom