Old 07-20-2019, 01:35 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. The soft decks are very prevalent in them and many other boats. Mine has had several sections recored. It is easy technically but just grunt work. Cut the deck, pick off the top fiberglass, remove rotten core. Clean and sand area and epoxy in new core. Use thickened epoxy to reset the top fiberglass and weight it down. BTW, before you start reinforce the deck from below so it doesn’t sag or loose the camber. I lay at least a layer of 1708 over the cuts after grinding the cut down a bit so the 1708 will be flush. Fair the deck to your satisfaction and paint the decks. I like Kiwigrip because you don’t have to really fair the deck out perfectly as it will cover minor imperfections very well. And it is really tough stuff. As far as mold, I think that if there is any it will be contained within the upper and lower layers of fiberglass so use masks and PPE when removing the top deck layer. Good luck.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:37 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
And after you go to all the work of repairing the deck, go to Compass Marine’s web site and bed all your deck fittings per his instructions.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:56 AM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
And after you go to all the work of repairing the deck, go to Compass Marine’s web site and bed all your deck fittings per his instructions.
Agree but would add to do a solid fill in areas of mounting so you avoid the possibility of a repeat. Once top is removed and old core cleaned out use the top to mark penetration areas and do solid epoxy / poly / glass fill as you rebuild.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:14 AM   #24

City: FL
Vessel Model: Benneteau Swift 42
I was talking to glass guy that does it for a living, he cuts the deck glass out very neatly, lifts it out then saves it to replace after the core is cleaned out.

then he just leaves the seam of the piece smooth so the non skid blends in for the most part.

A DIY can handle it, not major.
lipets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:33 AM   #25

City: Milwaukee
Vessel Name: MaySea's Way
Vessel Model: Searay 290
Thank you all for your feedback. It gives me a good idea of what I'd be getting into.
trawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:56 AM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Saint John
Vessel Name: Ex Squiggles, current Goin Baroque...soon to be???
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34 MKI
soft cabin top

look at my photos. took 3x as much time and money as I figured. its doable and no issue to do in smaller sections
mgardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:09 PM   #27

City: Sassafras River, Maryland
Vessel Name: Seventh Sojourn
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
My 2004 400 did have a soft upper deck, from the top of the stairs almost to the helm seat. Before I bought it, the boat never had a full enclosure, only a bimini with no side curtains so rain constantly washed the deck.

I had the repairs done last winter. The glass guy removed a good chunk of the floor and dug out the balsa. He replaced the core and epoxied everything before glassing it in. He then sanded the rest of the floor smooth and applied Awlgrip with a sand non-skid. Total was $5000. If I had wanted the diamond non-skid that was there, he would have had to make molds and the price tripled. Bottom line: it looks great, matches perfectly and is very solid.

Glass guy thinks the water got in through the screw holes fastening the table to the floor. Now we have a full enclosure so it won't be as exposed to rain as before.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3655.jpg   IMG_3657.jpg  

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most. E.B. White
garmstro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:19 PM   #28

City: Milwaukee
Vessel Name: MaySea's Way
Vessel Model: Searay 290
Thanks all for your feedback. I've decided to search for another boat.
trawlin is offline   Reply With Quote